Aloha!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Mike Tyson...

This is the morning that greeted a brand new day. It was gorgeous, the swim went well, and of course it made for a nice start to whatever the day was going to bring. From here it got even better (then it got not so better).

I landed here. Well, the monk seal did, not me, but I landed just like that seal into full on taper mode. If it weren't for the guard on the beach I would have been snuggled up to the seal too, because REST n' RECOVER days/week are all about chilling out...

This was my morning spot...under a shade tree, gently tucked out of the sun, yet enjoying some fresh air with a friend and her baby while the boys paddled. Of course I wanted to paddle but that is not part of swimbikerun and this close to race day it is all about swimbikerun. My friend Kara sent me a note earlier this week with a quote from Mike Tyson. I've been a Tyson fan since I was super young, when my dad bought my sisters and I boxing gloves for Christmas. Anyways, the quote came in more handy today than ever imagined. You ready for this???

..."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face". PERFECTLY said Mr. Tyson! Seriously, almost all things on this IM Florida journey have not went according to plan, and I planned gooooooood. I love plans and believe in them, however being flexible is always cool too, but a punch in the face sure and knock a plan out the window! Today's black eye was caused by Kainoa and I's flight totally falling through. Without major detail we landed no flight to Florida and looking at a last minute flight was causing me more tears than probably healthy for a girl.

.

I did what I hardly ever do, reach out for help. It's humbling and hard but I was at a loss, (not just lost tickets). My heart and soul has been poured into training for this race, my family would be there, Kainoa was looking forward to a 14hr flight, and this triathlete needed to race-it's her job right?? Well, swimbikerunning, even driving to Florida is not possible from here, so the punch knocked me out and I asked around for help. You know who came running!? The REV3 crew. I'm not kidding in the least. I'm heading to an Ironman race and the REV3 crew is making it possible. Talk about big hearts and well, REV3 is out of this world not just for the races they put on, you've heard athletes all over the world boasting about them, but they genuinely care about athletes and triathlon no matter who-what-where-when. So...Kainoa and I will fly to Florida thanks to them.



As for the bike, he will fly too! Yesterday the new cranks were put on, (after a handful of boys handled it), you know it takes A LOT of man-power to get a bike to fit me! Anyways, I am happy to have it ready to race and trust the Bike Works crew and Swift crew enough to just roll with it...

Tomorrow will be my first big go on the set up, on the real road, yikes, then in the box it will tuck. Talk about getting excited. Nervous? Not yet. The work has been done, I trust my coach, the training, the taper, and the people that have helped me get to this point. Perhaps I got yet another punch in the face too close to race day, but with every plan thrown out the window a new one comes into action...

.

Happy Weekend!

Bree



17 Comments:

Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

Wow, that is amazing that Rev3 helped you out like that! Just got back from Costa Rica and thinking I may have to go back and do their race there : )

Have a great IM Florida!

PS: Switched to K-Swiss Blade Light, and LOVE those shoes...

October 29, 2011 at 2:51 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

REV3 = AMAAZING:) So happy for you that worked out. Does whoever is "punching" you know that you are like those weeble wobbles? "weebles, they wobble but they don't fall down" - oh know, is that stuck in your head now? Sorry:( You will ROCK IMFlorida - GoooooBREEEEE!
Hugs!

October 29, 2011 at 3:00 AM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

That's the thing about Rev3 and Charlie...family is family, no matter what the circumstances. This is exactly why I will choose Rev3 over and over again! Good luck in Florida!! I'll be watching from my computer! GO BREE!!!!

October 29, 2011 at 3:02 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Rev 3 is a class act!

October 29, 2011 at 4:33 AM

 
Blogger Tejas Runner said...

Oh Bree, what an unexpected blessing! Safe travels!

October 29, 2011 at 4:37 AM

 
Blogger SSB said...

The first thing I thought when I saw your FB post, was how amazing it was the Rev 3 was helping you get to a WTC race. Shows they are really interested in professional triathlete development.

I'll be cheering for all the Hawaii people next Saturday! Good luck!

October 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I knew your bike would be ready in time. I am so glad that rev 3 sorted out your flight. That's heather golnick for you. I know you'll have a great race. Remember kainoa is waiting to add another medall to his collection.

October 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

Lucy Heather Golnick had nothing to do with it. ALL REV3 Team...

October 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

This is so awesome Bree! Makes me want to do every Rev3 event out there. Also shows how much they believe in you - just like the rest of us! I know you are going to have an awesome race! Safe travels!

October 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

sorry Bree, I thought she was part of the Rev 3 organization but I got it completely wrong. By the way I love that Mike tyson quote. so true and it applies to anything in life. Put on those "boxing" gloves girl: "prepare for the worst and hope for the best"

October 30, 2011 at 7:56 AM

 
Blogger Rob said...

Love the quote Bree..let you be the one doing the punching in Florida go get um girl.

October 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

We love BJ Penn, one of your fellow athletes. The Prodigy! I know he swam with your group as you mentioned a long time ago. He's a great fighter, still!

November 1, 2011 at 4:07 AM

 
Blogger CPJ808 said...

So when can the Rev3 crew host a race in the 808?? Lets make it happen, we need more quality events to support the SBR community here.

November 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM

 
Blogger gelmertri said...

DON'T FORGET - all your successful races this year. You have the experience and patience now to EXPECT a podium finish (plus, you will hopefully have your lucky charm there - Kainoa). Go get'em!

November 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home