Aloha!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

My Date With Super Mario...


First, I must begin by telling you the title, "My Date With Super Mario" was not a date. It's for entertainment purpose only, because talking about a 112 mile ride is just so boring, I have to spice it up. I'd also like to interject that Super Mario has a beautiful girlfriend and I have a beautiful bike, 2 bikes actually. Finally, I am sure my mom will read this title and piss her pants, she has in fact tried to get me on the Bachelorette, gave my number to a boy at a race she thought "was so cute and nice", and even told me she would still love me if I was a lesbian because I'M STILL SINGLE. Dear Mom, it's going to take an incredible man to handle me "AND" Kainoa, I'm waiting for him, and I don't like girls-like that. So anyways, here was my 112 mile date with Super Mario...
Super Mario told me to meet him bright and early at the beach! Right away I knew he was going to be perfect for me! The beach, ahhhh, my sweet spot. Most boys I ride with tell me to meet at the pool, kind of like taking a girl to MC. Donald's! Instantly it was time to roll and away we went on 2 wheels, actually 4, we rode separate...

For those of you that think I choose my 112 mile partners purely based on their backside you are wrong, I mean they maybe have a good backside because they spend so much time on their bikes, but I look for more in a man. Super Mario was more-he had very nice wheels. I focused on those, check them out for yourself! HOT, HOT, HOT wheels...

Like most dates, ours started off slow so I just admired the views. STOP already girls, look beyond Super Mario, I was admiring the sun coming up over Hualalai. Waking up to ride bikes all morning long is a beautiful thing to do and I was appreciating this life I've been given. The conversation also began like most dates, a little fumbled. We just smiled a lot. Maybe the fact he spoke German and I spoke English was to blame, but good ol' smiling everyone can speak. Sometimes we laughed too. Every now and then he caused me to lose my breath. Is that normal on a date or what?! Men making girls loose their breath, got to love it. For me it only happened when he would pick up the pace, holy cow my breath was GONE and my legs burned. But I hung on and never thought of letting him out of my sights. I planned to make all 112 miles with him if it meant running out of things to say and my breath...

Super Mario was a perfect gentleman. He pointed out every stick, dead animal, rock, and pot hold in the road. He made sure I was safe at all times. Even when we had to go into the traffic he was sure to check on me, kind of like having a bodyguard. And each and every hill he would turn back to make sure I was on his wheel. Only once did he drop me and you know what, he came right back for me! Guess, he couldn't resist my awesome singing with the IPOD, or maybe it was the way the Hawi winds blew my hair all over my face and the sun gave me an incredibly ugly set of new tan lines from bike shorts and a jersey. Anyways, he made sure our date wasn't over till 112 miles, not a mile too early...

This was my favorite part, other than the sunrise. He finally took me to eat! As soon as I saw Nakahara's I knew he had good taste in bike-refueling! Man after my own stomach! I didn't want him to think I was a one of those girls that just order a salad but I couldn't have him thinking I order the entire menu and dessert and eat half of his, so I got advice from my coach. He said, "Bree eat what you would eat on race day, practice race day fuel". SO I did that...

Every color sports drink I could find (just like the aid stations in a race), a bar, and a Red Bull. I don't actually ever drink Red Bulls but Super Mario ordered one so I did too. Perhaps it's a good idea to pretend you have an interest in what the other person likes??? Good idea. It worked too, I actually took the lead down Hawi hill, that might be because my okole is bigger than his so I can fly or maybe he was doing the "gentleman thing" again and letting "ladies first". I think the Red Bull spiked my energy level 'cause I never felt like that down that hill in my life!



You know what else I liked about Super Mario? He is so good to people! We saw my friend Staci and he let me bring her along on our date up Kawaihae hill. Some men really don't like third wheels, but he was all about the threesome!
...then Super Mario and I were alone again, so romantic, I mean sweaty and windy! A few miles later we rode into a friend of his, he won one of the Challenge Iron distance races or something like that. My mind started to wonder if this would turn into a typical guy thing, you know what I'm talking about. One man trying to show off or out do the other, a little macho action if you will. Of course that freaked me out. I was already out of breath, out of my league riding with Super Mario in the first place. The last thing I needed would be the pace to get pushed and I go flying into the ditch with the goats! Guess what, Super Mario let his buddy go flying down the road and stayed with me! No joke, he meant what he said, 112 with me. Got to love a man that keeps his word...

The date was coming to an end. It was bitter sweet. I had so much fun, probably my favorite long ride of my lifetime so far. It challenged me, got me out of my comfort zone, took me to new places and faster speeds. It gave me loads of confidence and broke down some of my old bad habits. I was a very happy girl. If you are wondering, we never got to 2nd base, well I don't even know what first base is, I don't think we made it there either because my hands stayed on my bars the entire time and his hands stayed on his bars the entire time, plus he is a perfect gentleman with a very cool girlfriend that let me borrow him just for 112 miles...

Finally back home. I did what all girls do after a date with a guy, replay it over and over and over in your head. The good, the bad, the ugly. Yes, even that beautiful 112 miler with a great cyclist had some ugly. I threw up climbing a hill behind him. I was that serious about not wanting him to drop me, I just hung on. When I tell you I was committed, I meant it. Push came to shove and I hung tight! After that coach gave me a run. Runs always make life sweet so I more than welcomed it. And like every girl, I wondered if Super Mario would write or call me again! I didn't stress it during the run, in fact I didn't even think about it, I just ran. And you know what, I did get a note, he said, "Thanks Bree, looking for a repetition". I think he means, "repeat". Remember he speaks German. He also told me he would send me a massage, I think that meant message??

.

That my friends, is 112 miles with Super Mario! Time for bed so I can wake up go for more miles!

.

Bree



9 Comments:

Blogger PipTook said...

Oh Bree, I read this over my morning coffee and although I know it is a cliche, you truly did almost make me spit coffee all over my keyboard several times.

And yes, before I found a man who could handle me, I got the "It's okay if you're a lesbian" from my Mom too. LOL.

October 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Sounds like an amazing ride! You are going to be one to beat in Florida. If anyone wants to catch me running down the road there next week, it may have to be in the dark. My okole is bigger than it was around IMTexas.

Hope to see you in a few days! I will be working an aid station on the run with Shirley Pratt and her crew.

October 2, 2011 at 3:12 AM

 
Blogger momof3 @ Neurosis of the Stay at Home Marathoner said...

Laughing because before I was married I too have heard, "I'll still love you if you're ..." That's hilarious. This whole post is full of hilarity, love how it's written. Well done... and well done on the ride.

October 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM

 
Blogger Jolene said...

Loooove that your God-loving mama would love you even if you were gay! Hysterical. For the record, I could maaaybe be persuaded to leave Rich and date you (you know, just to make your mother happy) if you promise to make me those raw protein balls all the time. ;-)

October 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Your post are so funny. I love practice my english reading it. Good luck for Kona! hugs.

October 3, 2011 at 3:11 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Nope.... you got it right the first time..
He wants to massage you.. I am pretty sure of that..
Gotta watch out for those sneaky Germans.... lull you into a false sense of security and than.... WAM !!
Hey, I'm taking the wifey to Frankfurt this weekend, do you want me to check him out with the locals?

October 3, 2011 at 3:19 AM

 
Blogger TanyaC said...

BreeWee! You inspire me! I'm only famous to a very few, yet very important, people (most of whom struggle to fasten their britches or blow their nose on their own) but I have so many of the same feelings that you so honestly write about in your blog! You're precious! Thank you!

~~~and if it's okay, I'll continue to pretend that I have this great friend out in HI who's a great cook, great mom and super athlete!
Have a wonderful day!

October 3, 2011 at 8:38 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Such a fun post and i think a great idea for first dates too - take a man on a 112 mile bike ride so you can check him out.

October 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Bree amiga ..ya hace mucho que te sigo y cada dia me gusta mas tu blog !! Besos y abrazos para ti y Kainoa!

October 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home