Aloha!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

10 Bucks?

This has been one of the greatest weekends ever. Ever. Usually the week after a big race is very full of the "I want a redo, what happened, how can I fix it, that was awesome, let's do it again, I hurt...". This week was mostly all good n' positive post race, that's usually how things go when you give them your all until the very last moment. Of course I did spend a lot of time thinking about the race, wishing my right calf would not have froze and held on for a run. Then I made the 2012 plan. After that I turned off my tri-brain and said, "chill out, recover".
.
With that, it was a full weekend of island life. My friends and I are seriously broke. It's not even funny the crew I roll with, together we might have a total of $300 bucks at any given time, 10 of them from me. What we lack in money we MORE than make up with all sorts of adventures and moments you just can't buy. Thankfully the friends are the outside type, the get dirty type, the lets spend all day finding more ways to live out loud type. So we did that all weekend long...



My right calf is getting better but it's still so upset I tried to swim through a a frozen charlie horse then bike and run on it. It's good enough to kayak up a river, so a couple of the boys, (one of whom grew up in Honoka'a), had a great idea to go play in his old back yard...they promised I wouldn't have to walk much or at all and it would be "good for me". So we loaded kayaks on the truck and drove through mud, dirt, rocks, and a river. Then got out to discover the river was RAGING!

.

6 days of Hilo rain made it a crazy, beautiful, waterfall! But...not possible to kayak to. Nor drive, 4x4, ride horse, or any other way than by foot. And swim, yes, lots of swimming through the river was happening. Once I thought for sure I was going over the falls. This counts as part of my rough water practice in advance for the 2012 season!



When all was said and done we landed at the biggest waterfall in all of Hawaii. Holy cow, it was unreal. I just smiled, feeling unbelievably rich!

The weekend also had some paddle action! A little swell rolled in so we decided to surf it one man style. The dolphins were out in full force playing in the waves too. It was one of those moments in life when you just feel so happy and so alive that nothing can stop you from believing that you are in the right spot at the right time and everything is the way it's supposed to be, all of it. The dolphins jumping waves had me clicking away on the camera some shots I knew would just blow your mind, paddling my heart out to keep up, and of course just laughing that laugh that you wish would happen more often...then this...


I tried to catch a wave and sometime after it rolled by me and I went right instead of left, I let out one ugly huli. The camera also landed on the ocean floor, the floaty thing that is always attached to it on all swims, surfs, paddles, that was floating. Ugh...dolphin pictures and good memories captured-Adios. Aloha. Good bye. Come on Santa, hook me up with a new camera PLEASE, i've been so good this year!


We also jumped cliffs, because when you can't run you have to jump...






The weekend wasn't all paddle, waterfall, jump, and kayak. One night I rode bike to the beach (see the wheel in the back ground??), and yesterday the leg felt WAY better, I rode 30 miles!

Mostly floats and swims filled my swimbikerun addiction/sport life this weekend. No complaints when ALL of them were in the ocean!



This weekend will take A LOT to top. It was so jam packed with good people, good moments, and memories that will not fade or be worth more than anything money could buy. Some of the weekend will remain top secret, because what happens in Hawaii has to stay in Hawaii...

.

Tomorrow will ease back into more sport, I'm ready for that action too. And the calf, fingers crossed it's ready for more! Have a great week...


.


Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Bree, people pay thousands of £/$ for adventures/exotic landscape/weather like that, but you have all of that on your doorstep....for FREE!
So the $300 are more like $3,000!
what a brilliant time you must have all had!

November 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Amiga, cuando me toque la loteria me voy a vivir a definitivamente a KONAAAAA!!! besos y abrazos !

November 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM

 
Blogger Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

money isn't everything.... the times you have out in hawaii sure are priceless! happy healing with the calf! ps: it was so fun to cheer for you out there at IMFL :)

November 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

la vita è bella!

And so are YOU!

November 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Oilar said...

Bree having a blast!!! Love it!! I was cheering very loud for you while in the basement on my CT during your last race. Made the hours go by quick!! Go Trakkers/Rev3!!

November 16, 2011 at 4:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home