Aloha!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Best Weekend...



Every so often a moment in motherhood totally captures your heart and makes all that you do, sacrifice, and feel for your child melt away any moments of doubt in your parenting skills. Because of course those days happen, the ones where you wonder if you spent enough time playing, truly listened to the story about the bug for the 100th time, and of course if you are making their lives truly worth living.

.

Tonight after kissing Kainoa good night and turning out the light, he calls me back into the room, "Mom, this was the best weekend of my whole life". It meant the entire world to hear that, a simple reminder that despite a child not coming with a book of directions, you are indeed raising them in such a way they are enjoying being your child. Believe me, his life is not filled with toys, gifts, and such to the plenty. My prayer has always been for him to appreciate a simple life, the life I grew to value during my time in Costa Rica, a life where you find happy just to be alive and have moments with good people. He discovered that more in depth this weekend, it made me smile...


Our Saturday began bright and early. There was no bike ride for mom, no swim, and no run to tackle. My leg is fully healed and I'm back to business, however, this weekend was all about "family" as the holidays are looming. 7 of us made a drive to the most Southern point in the USA. There we found caves to swim through, cliffs to jump, and green sands to explore. It was beautiful in so many ways.

Of course I enjoyed all of it equally as much as the children on the trip...

But the weekend belonged to Kainoa. He wanted to do all the big kid things, taste life to the fullest. Of course there was no way in the world I'd let him jump from the 40fters even if he has my sense of adventure running deep in his blood. He cried about it so I promised when he gets just a little bigger he can jump bigger. He agreed and found plenty of fun on a "mini big jump".

The list of laughing, jokes amongst everyone, and new memories made will forever be etched in a moment worth remembering. Perhaps the best part for me was seeing Kainoa grow up before my very eyes. He really never looked for my hand on this trip. He had that sense of confidence you hope to instill in a child, that look of wonder and amazement that every parent can only hope to encourage, it was him being a big kid right before my eyes...
It may have helped that the weekend was spent with 3 older boys...



From a distance I watched and smiled, trusting that each step he took was a safe one, a brave one, and one where the path he chose would lead to a place of appreciation for all he was seeing and experiencing. It was inspiring and reminded me to continue to follow my heart...




From cliffs, big ocean swims, sands of all colors, trails touched only by foot, papaya pancakes, church Sunday morning, birthday party Sunday afternoon, and hard laughter Sunday evening as the sun was fading into the ocean, Kainoa had one of the best weekends of his life...

.

As he is fast asleep now, my job has been packing his lunch and washing his karate clothes for tomorrow. Our swim clothes are set out for 6am practice, and a new week awaits us. Confidently this momma will hold her head high, beyond thankful for the beautiful life her son is knowing...

.

Aloha ahiahi,

Bree



2 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

Sons always steal their mother's heart even when they are 20 and don't need you as much anymore!

November 21, 2011 at 3:40 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Such a beautiful life you have... and what a beautiful mommy you are with Kainoa. My little guy is 7, and growing up too fast... but melts my heart when he says those little things, making everything in the world right. Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you are healing and back on your way to training... and inspiring. :)

November 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home