Aloha!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Turkey Triathlon...

Yesterday was more than Turkey eating (but there was PLENTY of that too)...
.
The Kisers put on the annual Big Island Turkey Triathlon and everyone who planned to stuff more than a turkey showed up to swimbikerun, (or one of the 3 in a relay). I love this, it's such a great way to kick the holiday off with a little twist. It feels like the entire town shows up to race, support, volunteer, or cheer. In some small way it keeps the holiday light hearted because you are more concerned with spending time with the people you love than getting the pie crust just right...
.
Even the Lieto family showed up, that meant a new course record to the Big Islands beloved Turkey Triathlon.
The entire race for me was "raced", but of course it hurt more than expected, chasing Lieto added to the cranberry sauce I felt like, but man it was so much fun. Not sure if he was pouring gravy on his stuffing or what, but I beat him out of swim-bike transition. From there it was onto the bike where I could "see him" for maybe a mile, then he was going, going, gone. Always wondered what it would be like to see him up close and personal out on the bike during a race, now I know...


I had a mission on the bike, to go as hard as I could for the 16 miles so Lieto wouldn't be finished with the 2 mile run before I even get off the bike! In a race this short with a man that fast on a bike it could happen. Thankfully it didn't. I tried to break the hour mark but was 18 seconds short, I blame having too much fun. It was a holiday after all, this race was filled with smiling, laughing, high-fiving, photos, and fun. But I did go hard. Lieto-speedy pants but the hurt on the field as the only one to break an hour, he did a 53 or 54 and some seconds. So much fun chasing him...

You better believe Kainoa was there for the action! He wanted nothing to do with triathlon though, just the jumping that comes after all sporting events at the pier. Fine by me, we jumped and swam our hearts out with all the friends and family till we had nothing but hunger for a turkey and everything else that lands on a Thanksgiving table...
It was a day full of things to be thankful for. Mostly thankful for the people in my life, thankful for a great day doing what I love and having the good health to be able to do it, and of course home...

.

Hope your Thanksgiving was incredible too. Next up, Christmas....

.

Bree



3 Comments:

Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

So you are leaving us in shrouded in mystery. I take it you were second overall since you were only 18 seconds over an hour? Sounds like you have healed up well after FL..

November 26, 2011 at 10:08 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

it sounds like you had a great thanks giving! I bet the post race nutrition was great too
:-)
One year i must spend xmas in hot conditions and on the beach barbecuing the turkey

November 27, 2011 at 6:39 AM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

The pic of Kainoa is beautiful! Congrads on the Turkey Tri.

November 28, 2011 at 7:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home