Aloha!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011...

It's been said that we learn the most when we struggle, fall, trip up, and don't win. We learn when we suffer, sacrifice, and give with all our hearts. In all things life, love, and sport, 2011 has been a season of scars from the past healing, hurts un-hurting, and little beams of hope shining through on dreams set off in such a far, far distance.
.
This was a season of no DNF's in sport, quitting was not an option this year in anything. This was my season of some friendships fading away and those that I held most dear to me glowing bigger than ever thought possible. The year my son went from child to boy, (remind me to not race with his name on my okole next season, he is just too big for that). The year one of my sisters had her first baby, another sister graduated college, a brother had his first daughter, and with everything new, losses to the family as well.
.
After handfulls of mission trips throughout the world in my youth, this was the season I needed someone to rescue me. Bob Marley played throughout my head and heart all year long, "Everything's gonna be alright....". Beyond humbling, this season has been beautiful in that bitter sweet way, in all things life, love, and sport.
.
2011 I stood on top of podiums (and the bottom), stood on mountain tops, snow covered volcano tops, and climbed to places never imagined existed in this world. I swam to ocean floors, floated with fish, and lolly gagged with dolphins. I held hands, fell in love, and made wishes on stars in hopes of making life even better in 2012. My bank account saw a negative balance, somedays it saw more than I needed, and most days found enough to share with those more in need of me. My legs ached, arms got sore, the body got tired, but it was a year of never ending strength to keep on going, in all things life, love, and sport...
.
The only way to take on 2012 is with my heart as wide open as my eyes, embracing the challenges, welcoming the new starts, and clinging to what is already good and possible. To those that have held my hand, grabbed hold of so many days with me, and reminded me of whats important, thank you. To REV3, Swift, KSwiss, Kona Aquatics, Coconut Girls, Bike Works, Splish, Travis Blanton, Coach Jimmy, Coach Steve, and the great people I've been fortunate to train and race with, thank you for making me better at sport and love what I am blessed to do. To my family, Brooke especially, Wendy, Kainoa, Mike, Thursday Night Bible Study Girls, Kawika, and Lane 1, my days have been beautiful, (even the horrible, cloudy, rainey, tear filled, thunderstorms), because of you all... 2011, phew, survived it.
.
Happy 2012, hope nothing breaks your stride on the way to where you dream to go in all things life, love, and sport! Now that my run is done, time to set up some camping on a beach, under stars, with the people I love most in the world...
Bree



12 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 31, 2011 at 11:43 AM

 
Blogger donna furse said...

I continue to be inspired by you every time you post. Your struggles, your happiness, your mission in life to only make your life and your son's better but to make everyone else's life better ( especially the less fortunate) continues to be what I think defines who you are. Triathlon doesn't define you, I believe your mission on this planet to make everyone else around you better is what defines you. Thank you for sharing your very honest feelings and life on your blog, you have certainly inspired many including me.

December 31, 2011 at 11:44 AM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Happy New Year to you Bree! You inspire me with the beauty of your spirit. Keep being true to yourself and you will touch many more hearts than you could ever imagine. Thank you!!

December 31, 2011 at 11:44 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Happy NYE Bree!

The sun will rise here on 2012 before it does for you. As soon as I know what the new year looks like, I'll give you a heads up so you can prepare and rock it!

December 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Hey Bree here it's been 2012 for ages, i can't believe you're still waiting for yours to come.
Happy New Year. This one is going to be even better

December 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Happy 2012 my friend!

January 1, 2012 at 5:30 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Yeah - Happy New Year Beautiful Lady! I bet those stars were magical on the beach! 2012 is going to be AMAZING!
Cheers to a fantastic year a head!
Hugs

January 1, 2012 at 6:21 AM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Happy New Year, Bree! Beautiful post. :)

January 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM

 
Blogger Jen Small said...

beautifully written.
the lows just make you appreciate the highs so much more :) may 2012 bring you all that your heart desires!!
Looking forward to following your adventures and cannot wait for the day these feet touch the sands of Hawaii!! :)

January 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM

 
OpenID melicious said...

I love your grounded, positive attitude toward life, as well as the knowledge that we need to keep moving forward because we can't change the past. Thank you so much for all your breath-taking pictures and inspiring posts. They serve me well to remember the simple things in life and to cherish life, nature, family and friends.

January 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

God does not give you more than you can handle, you handled it all and you are already stronger. Will you seriously think about that plan we discussed awhile back about going into business for yourself?

January 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Such a great post, Bree! Thanks for sharing your beautiful life with us, in words and pics... and inspiring us all... and for showing us how to cherish the simple things in life and what really should be important. I always love reading your blogs to inspire me to be better, whether it is with racing or just to the world around me... even if you don't know me. Happy New Year to you... hoping you have a fabulous 2012 with all that you dream of! :)

January 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home