Aloha!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Jump On In...

I'm not sure what your family does on weekends, if you are reading this I'm guessing you swim, bike, run, or maybe none of the above, you just blog creep on a girl who does. The past 6 months of life have been very much "enriched" with boys. It's now me and 4 boys, not just Kainoa and I. That means more farts, more burps, a lot more nose picking, and way less time to pout. It's truly teaching me to keep up, hang on, and hold back the pity party. In small ways and big ways there is no doubt these lessons will carry over into triathlon, don't ask me just yet, I'm only 6 months deep, but I know lessons are daily filling my life...
.
Today it was all about jumps. With just some blue painters tape the Masuda boys & Kainoa had a full on jump event similar to the Olympics down the hallway. They took it to the point of actually googling the farthest standing jump by a man and discovered, we are no where close. BUT, we did not stop trying. What a brilliant lesson, sometimes being so far away from a goal, a long shot if you will, it is never worth not trying...
Of course I played too. The floor was soon covered in blue tape to mark our landings, several tries later we tried again, and again, and again. Do boys never give up? Do they ever give in? It was a nonstop afternoon of try, try, try again. And despite adding all our jumps and still not breaking the world record, we still played, we still toed the line, we still gave it our best efforts. It was hilarious, if you saw more than the pictures you would buy tickets to the jumping showdowns we had happening.



Perhaps Kainoa has been teaching me the best lesson in all of this. He is by far the youngest, the shortest, and maybe even takes longer to finish then the other boys, in everything. It never stops him from getting in the game, from trying to keep up, trying to go as long and be as strong. Life lately, with 4 boys, sure has had me on start lines I've only dreamed of for my life. It has also been teaching me in all my unwanted moments of change, to shake off my bad landings, to wipe away tears, to rub out the bruises, and most of all to keep showing up to life and jump on in...

.

Have a good weekend!!

Bree



4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Kirchhoff said...

You bring up a great point! I'm the slowest swimmer on our Masters Team...The slowest rider in my computrainer class, and not so fast at running either. But I'm often the oldest in these groups and keep showing up anyway because it's so much FUN! :)

January 29, 2012 at 4:01 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I have a 20 year old son and for the last 20 years I have been surrounded by many, many boys. In fact, over the last 4 years my house has become a frat house. I may not have liked it all the time but I wouldn't have traded it for nothing. Enjoy the boys because it is a lot of fun!

January 29, 2012 at 5:31 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

And I'm surrounded by "girls" i suppose: me & 2 girl cats. the only male in the house is my hubby.
we do big "snoozeathons" on sunday afternoon after I've comeback from the big bike ride. The cats always win of course.
so glad family time is full of fun for you right now :-)

January 29, 2012 at 9:37 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

With all the activities today that cost money, nothing can replace the fun of an afternoon, an idea, and 50 cents of painters tape...

January 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home