Thursday, February 16, 2012

3 More Weeks...

Without a doubt I can feel the season fully in motion, it's already Thursday night! 4 days ago was race #1, in 3 weeks is race #2, and a week after race #2 is race #3. Just loving this. Being home has been awesome, leaving home always reminds me how much I love home...
First thing first was to fix my bike from some changes made prerace that did not work during the race. Fixed. Back riding and happy to befriend good ol' Queen K again. And I should really buy a new helmet, that one is from 2008 and it's cracked from an accident, shocked when they do helmet checks they never bust me, I'll add that to the to-do list.
The best part of Panama 70.3 (now that I am home and reflecting), was the run, for sure. Perhaps I needed that, to see hard work slowly paying off, to be able to run, remember I was walking Ironman Florida with the torn calf muscle, and see where my guts are hanging out at this point. You know the run is really where you find what you are made of, its the place you can walk, stop, quit, give up, and get beaten more by yourself than your competition. My head is in a better spot than it has been in a long, long time... for the race clothes, ignore them. I have no hard feelings or sadness about any logos placed on me. I'm thankful for the time I was with certain support and look forward to the changes of 2012. Maybe I should have ran in surf trunks or something to not give any wrong ideas on my sponsors, but like I said, no hard feelings and happy about the help I've had in the previous years, forever greatful, right? I think next race the new logos and shoes will be worn...

That's Haley Cooper, she was my roomie in Panama and our bikes were racked as neighbors too. Seriously, Panama 70.3 was one of the best views my bike got to hang at. If you think I have good travel stories, check out hers! Her luggage never made it to Panama and she was stuck in Dede Griesbaurs clothes, Kelly Williamsons fast skin, and had hand-me-downs all weekend long. Lesson learned for 2012, you really can get by on packing light...

As for my travel story home, it was 25 hours of "Am I home yet?" The longest part was 9 hours sitting at LA Airport. Despite holding my boarding pass, they were not allowing anyone to check into the airport through security till 4am. SO, midnight-4 I got to keep company with some LA locals that nappped next to me just inside the doors of the airport. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, freezing, but the locals were cool. A homeless man offered me a drink of his water and that reminded me a lot of Haley's situation. People really are good, they give and share and mean well. And of course I love being reminded of those with so little still offering so much.


From 4am to 9am I got to sit inside the gated area, that was so much better, safer, warmer, and it had food and a bathroom! The last part of the trip, over the Pacific, was the most scary. The man in the seat next to me passed out. Actually I think he died, Im not making that up. He was sitting between me and his wife, his wife and I fell asleep, next thing I know a man is leaning on my shoulders so I wake up and move him. His eyes are wide open and he is unconscious. The wife is super calm but scared and clueless, so I check a pulse, nothing, she does CPR, nothing, we check pulse again and we can't find it but I tell her, "He's breathing, look!" I thought filling the air with optimism might help, she gets relieved even though he is wide open eyed and not looking, seeing, or hearing. I run to get the flight attendant and before you know it a doctor takes my seat, the man is on oxygen, and somewhere over the Pacific he comes back to life. It was a very long flight home...

The plane arrived just in time for Valentine's Day and of course after nearly 30 hours of no sleep I just want to sleep. Masuda picks me up with flowers and lei, pretty smart man as I needed a shower so bad after my party with the locals of LA and the flight, perfect fragrance to cover up my smelly self. From there it was all the chicken wings I could manage to get down (don't ask, the chicken wing thing goes way back). And of course my favorite fruits and veggies put through the juicer, papaya salad, and spinach salad. Very welcomed meal after plane food, no food, and junk food...


I'm loving home at the moment. The dolphins came to swim today, the wind was out on the bike with us, and tomorrow I get to run again. Watching Kainoa do karate, washing laundry, and sleeping in my own bed, it really is good being home. Three more weeks till the next start line, happy me.




Blogger Beth said...

Congrats on a great start to your season Bree!! (sorry it's a late congrats!) Many great things to come I'm sure!! :)

February 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Blogger Scott said...

I thought I saw you in Florida the morning after the race. I didn't know your hurt your calf. You were walking into Subway the morning after as I was walking out. Hope all is well and you have a rocking season. cheers

February 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

That transition must be one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I would gladly lay down there with a book all day :-)
the hot weather must have made you feel at home. what was the water quality like? it was a wetsuit swim? getting all the gear to your race location is always a bit a worry when you fly. hope your mate got her stuff back in the hand

February 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Congrats on kicking off your 2012 season. I hope it all goes well. And that wait at LAX sounded epic.

February 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home