Aloha!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chase...

I am pretty excited right now, for a couple reasons, mostly to do with running this morning. Let's start from the finish line. Okay, it wasn't a "race" this morning, it was just a "practice run" for a race in 2 weeks from today, waiting at the finish were 2 of the best faces in my life...



Unlike most mornings the alarm clock woke up before me, a little motivation was needed as yesterday must have kicked my okole worse than a big training day. I actually skipped training yesterday, not by choice, but because I'm not Cinderella and it took almost 9 hours to repaint and clean up our old home. Why I thinking it would only take 4 hours is beyond me! It felt worse than the remains of an Ironman...

.

Dear Bree Wee, Time to remember why you set that alarm clock, some dreams only happen when you wake up early to go run them down. Sincerely, the part of you that wants to sleep.Back to this run that has me happy I've been talking about. In the dark, after the alarm clock that woke up the "Wanna be Cinderella", I managed only to find mismatch socks which is totally fine because mine never match, but one isn't mine and I was about to stink up one of the boys socks, no time to apologize for what my feet will soon do to that sock!

.

Here is the scoop on the CHASE, a half marathon coming in 2 weeks on the island of Oahu. It's like most all half marathons, anyone & everyone can run & race it. However, there was an invitation sent to Jimmy Muindi and current HNL marathon champ Nicholas Chelimo, you know those men, they run Kenyan fast, 1:01 and 1:02 half marathon fast! An invitation was also sent to 24 local Hawaii runners, 12 wahine and 12 kane, of the 2 Big Island boys and the 2 Big Island girls invited, I am (thankfully) one of them.

.

To make it fun for the Kenyans and somewhat of a challenge, because us girls and boys from an island in grass skirts and coconut tops running in slippers just don't intimidate them, we get a head start! Serious about that!! The local girls and boys get to start, roughly an hour later (not really that long but we might need that much time), the Kenyans go and the "Chase" is on! Talk about fun...! I can hardly wait, like I said what a cool opportunity to be invited to run in the chase, being hunted by Kenyans! AND if we beat them to the line we get the payday even though we got a big head start!


Today the Big Island "Chase" team got together, we practiced CHASING, except for Jason, he was too fast to chase anyone. Intentionally we planned to run together, work together, use each other, and we did. But then the "fast pace, hold your goal pace in the race" pace section happened and then we chased-Jason. This run made me so excited, I love running, love running off island too and it will be my first half marathon on Oahu. The courses over there always seem long, maybe the hills we don't get on Alii, we made sure to run 13.30 miles to be sure to cover the 13.1 Oahu miles...

.

The opportunity is what has me beaming about this run. It's a little funky not being a pure runner and preparing for this big-deal-of-a-run while also getting ready for a triathlon 6 days after the half marathon. My first approach was to "just do it", how cool, right? But then I wanted to "race it", you know what I mean. So between life, love, and sport... I will run with Kenyans.

There is also a tradition in my home post-Sunday run, it's called, "eat eggs". The thing about eating only eggs after a big run is you are left hungry and didn't really refuel properly. While these may look like pancakes, they are really eggs with some oat flour stuff added to almond milk. They taste like eggs and looks like pancakes with coconut, honey, and blueberry's on top, you'd probably love them if you like eggs. Anyways, that and an ice bath were the finish to a good running morning...

.

Happy Sunday,

Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger SSB said...

ha! It always takes at LEAST 2x as long as you plan to paint. And usually sends me to the chiropractor in way worse pain than an IM. Good luck in the Honolulu 1/2 in a couple weeks. I might come out and cheer you on!

February 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Good luck on your race!

February 27, 2012 at 6:10 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I love painting! and remember it is a great work out for the shoulders so take it easy in the swim for a day or 2.
Doesn't it feel funny to run a half marathon without doing anything before? ahahah
Have a great race with the Kenyans :-)

February 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

That sounds like a lot of fun!!
Kind of the way Leito feels when everyone is chasing him down in Kona??? I am sure Chris would appreciate that comment..

February 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM

 
Blogger Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

YUM! Those pancaked-eggs look delish!

March 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home