Aloha!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Coaches...

Can I just tell you how THANKFUL I am to have Coach Jimmy helping me become the best triathlete I can be and how thankful I am for Coach Steve standing on the pool deck believing that I can swim. They have been so influential in not just my sport life, but my life. It feels like yesterday I jumped into Kona Aquatics, lane 5, and laughed my way across the pool with the most fun swim team ever. Coach Steve did his best to teach me some technique, to get me from swimming into lane lines, and of course holding back laughter. I'll never forget that day in 2003 when he said, "Bree, you swim with all heart because how you get across the pool makes no sense", and it didn't.
.
It's awesome getting reminders to keep going, to believe, and to be told you are a bada$$ when in reality you are just bad. Often times I have to remind myself that just because I have yet to do something doesn't mean I can't do it...they have taught me to believe with that little bit of optimism.
.
There is another coach that stands out pretty boldly too. Junior year of High School I got the nerve to try out for the track team. It was super gutsy as I had ZERO friends on the team, never even heard of a track team or ran, and of course the friends I did have all surfed and wanted nothing to do with running in a circle. So I tried out one afternoon, ran the mile, got a 6:13, and was told the perfect spot for me was doing hurdles. AWESOME, my short self landed in hurdles because I was 13 seconds too slow to do anything else. (I think most of you know that story, sorry for the repeat). Anyways, today was the mile repeat Thursday again.
.
Our nice track is of course down South and not open during school hours, we landed on the rocky, pothole, bumpy mile flat track. It works, its a legit mile, we use it on Thursdays, the track team uses it, the MMA guys use it, it has 440 and 880 and other lines sprayed on it, totally Hawaiian style. Today coach gave me numbers, don't go too fast as I race next week, but don't be lazy. Within those numbers I had to run for each of the 5 miles. DONE DEAL Coach Jimmy. Thankfully a strong run day back by a coach who said I could make it. Without a doubt that HS track coach came to mind, every mile was so much stronger, better, faster than a 6. With his face and those hurdles in my head I wished it was a "go for broke" day, I'd pretend to be a Junior in HS again and the goal was to break a 5...
.
I totally encourage you to find someone, anyone, even your family, and let them believe in you. Yes, we have to believe in ourselves, but there are days in all of us when we just don't have the courage to get up, again, and believe in ourselves, it is those days it helps to have someone to fall back on...
.
Happy Running,
Bree



4 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

Wow, I don't know how you do it but you always have the right thing to say. Girl, I hope we meet someday because I really need to give you a hug. Thanks so much for that last paragraph!

February 3, 2012 at 4:23 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

So true.

February 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM

 
Blogger run4daysbill said...

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing this, Bree.

February 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Good post. I agree. It only took one coach to tell me I could play soccer beyond college for me to even consider it. Before that, without the encouragement from a coach, I never knew it was within my potential. I have since looked back as well on the coaches that pushed me to be better, and the ones that wrote me off before giving me a chance. It makes all of the difference!

February 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home