Aloha!

Monday, February 13, 2012

Without Pictures...

Drives me crazy not being able to post photos, but that is life when you are in Central America and your computer charger is in Hawaii. Thankfully I get to borrow a computer while we wait to be taken to the airport. Rarely at a loss for words (written or spoken), this has me concerned my mother is worried somewhere about my lack of communication...

Where do I begin?? Flew out Thursday, arrived Friday afternoon, checked in my bike Saturday, raced Panama 70.3 Sunday, flying home to the island today (Monday), land Tuesday. It has been that quick of a trip and thankfully it also included the perfect amount of swimbikerun, race, rest, catch up.

Panama is beautiful all over, from the people to the views. The race is also nothing short of awesome! Imagine this, you get to swim in the tippy end of the Panama Canal-HELLO 8th wonder of the world! Then you ride your bike along the Pan American Highway through a ton of nonstop rolling hills that just touch the outskirts of the jungle (they should have had us actually riding in the jungle to make it even more WOW!), then you hop off your bike and run from the mainland across a little causeway that connects you to an island, twice. You would love it...

As for my race personally...it was a good start to 2012. Not great, not bad, good. Going into the race training has been going mostly all good, some new milestones, a few hiccups, and of course a lot of work set out over the course of an entire season. Coming into the race my confidence was lackluster at best, I usually begin the season with some local races just to "wake up" and get an idea of where I land in my training. This year it was straight into Panama 70.3 with a single goal-focus on me. Very true that we are mostly unable to control our surroundings, others, and unexpected situtations, but ourselves we have full control over...

The swim was perhaps the best swim if you ever wanted a PR! The canal had us in a current that knocked my old PR of 24 to a 21 something! Being in the Pacific had me feeling very much at home, being on the feet of the front pack had me feeling very much out of my league. I hung pretty well for almost half the race then I landed alone. Way too often I ocean swim solo and that does not make for good hustle and bustle during open water racing. Surprisingly, I held my focus between pack 1 and pack 2 all by myself, and came out ready to ride.

As for the bike, major lack of speed work showed. All the hill climbs and base work was very evident as I felt strong out there, but getting it up a gear or 3, just never happened. Yet to do a group ride this season or jump in with the cycling club, both those I know will help out that little problem once the season ramps up more. In fact, the first local time trial of the season is this weekend, maybe I should jump into that to get the speed flowing. On a side note, I seriously LOVE races with Natascha Badmann, it reminds me of the reason I first fell in love with this sport, her on that bike blowing by me up a hill, with a giant smile, is so good for this sport. I think someone said she is turning 50, inspiring on so many levels...

The run was hands down the best part. Right off the bike I was happy to be running and that focus lasted 13.1 miles. My goal the past few weeks as been to learn to run off the bike, holding a pace, and to just keep it together mentally till the finish line. Simple. A couple weeks ago we began the speed work and it excites me that we have only touched it this season but not really dove into it fully. That run felt awesome, I think I was 12th off the bike and by focusing on a single effort it was good enough to move me into 9th place. The sad part for me was not being 49 seconds faster and moving into 8th place as the last payday position. I was literally running the last couple miles with all my heart trying to make up time. Kelly Williamson had the most inspiring run I have ever seen within a race I was part of, it had me equally working to make up time, just not as fast as her 1:16! If you were racing along with us I bet you saw that display of awesome, hers ran her from I believe 9th to 2nd!

That was my first race of the season. Thrilled to have been a part of it, happy to have had a good race, excited to unravel ways to improve, and already looking forward to March-2 more races!! Thank you tons for the support, cheers out there, the notes and emails, and all the encouragement going into another season of triathlon and life...

Muchos abrazos,
Bree



13 Comments:

Blogger Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

awesome race bree! can't wait to see how your season unfolds!

February 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Enhorabuena Bree! Buena carrera!

February 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

So-so-SO AWESOME! SUPER Congrats out there Chica! AMAZING!

February 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

 
Blogger Jen Small said...

It was awesome following you and your super fast swim inspired my own swim that day :)

Great way to kick on the year!!!

February 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great job Bree! You had a great race and the times will come.

February 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

 
Blogger Whitney said...

Congrats Bree! Way to rock Panama!!!

February 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM

 
Blogger Kathy said...

felicidades, Bree!

February 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Panama sounds like a great location to race. Sorry to hear that you landed just outside the prizeoney. Next time you'll place much higher. This one netted you some points and blew the racing cobwebs. Safe trip back home

February 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

Great Race. You will get there in the top 3. I know it and you know it. I would of loved to have Natascha pass me :) I have that feeling when I see the pros here in SD just riding by or racing a local event.

Have safe travels home and hug the heck out of your boys.

February 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM

 
Blogger Adrian said...

Great report and fabulous race!! Hope you get even better as the season unfolds! Yes Natascha is a true champion, always smiling even as she was knocked off the bike with 2km to go!!!
All the best!!

February 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great start to the season...
Was there "Lance" hype going on also?

February 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM

 
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Great way to start the season Bree, I was tracking and cheering for you! You are going to have an AWESOME 2012.

February 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM

 
Blogger Rhona IntelliTri said...

Sounds like a great start to race season, and more to come once you get more race specific training under your belt.

Also sounds like a great place to race, look forward to seeing photos if/when you're able to put them up!

February 16, 2012 at 8:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home