Aloha!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Hana Hou...

You already know what Hana Hou means, to do it again. Maybe it can be like recycling too, or to get back in the game, or to start again. It was a "Hana Hou Friday" on this ALOHA Friday...
.
I did it again, nearly 4 years in my KSwissers and I switched shoes. I am not a fan of shoe switching, "If the shoe fits....", you know that one too, right?! But I did and I'm okay with it. At first I was sad, nervous, scared, frustrated (big list). Short summery, a door closes and a window opens, just went through the window folks. The Pearl Izumi window. My door is now PI filled with left and right run shoes. Having been in the same shoe for so very long I KNOW NOTHING about any other shoe and had to be patient to get my feet in there, thankfully a kind woman at PI sent me a box of "gently ran in" shoes to test out the sizes, the makes, the fits and feels. Now I know. I ran in them all, discovered I'm an 8 in PI when the last 4 years I've been an 8.5 in my Swissers. Who knew?!
.
What else do I know?? LOVE them. I'll be honest, it wasn't a "love at first sight" kind of shoe passion, however, it is love. It took track workouts, recovery runs, beach run, trail, a hill, tempo work, and some long stuff to truly test all the waters of my new foot-shoe-relationship. The storm in me is so calm, I trust, I love, and I am happy about being Pearl Izumi-ed. Really, truly am happy. The reason I can already call it love is because I'm a very "committed" type of girl, long term, you know. The rush into a new foot-shoe-relationship had to be slow going, I didn't want the Pearl Izumi to be "rebound shoes" or my feet to be the "sloppy seconds". After time, patience, a few incredible run dates, the match has been made and it looks/feels like a solid fit...


This was the 6:15am run date today. Back with the crew training for the CHASE. Perfect spot for mile repeats and down the ladder into "hurry up and run like an animal", run like an animal is the Pearl Izumi logo, I'm trying to get with the program :)





From run to recycle this momma ran. It is "HANA HOU ALOHA FRIDAY" after all. The Kindergarten parents got to spend the morning with our children doing recycle projects in class. Must confess, I smelt worse than the rubbish as I did not take a shower after that run, it was bad. Kainoa is known to have the "smelly mom", poor kid. One beautiful thing I did enjoy about the morning was being there for Kainoa and sharing the morning with his dad too. It sort of but not really, is like having sponsors. When an athlete has truly good sponsors, ones that care about their life in sport and outside of sport they want the best for you at the end of the day. It was like that this morning, I looked at my ex husband and my son and saw so authentically that we have come to a place we truly just want the best for our son. Happy, smelly mom. And, in sport, that made me realize I am lucky to have a support crew that really is happy about my life in and out of sport...


From school to swim I landed. At the end of the swim I found Joose. It was deep on the ocean floor and I wasn't really wanting to bust my ear drums diving for it but my mom taught me at an early age that "character is who you are when nobody but God is watching", and I could not just swim over rubbish in the ocean. Gosh darn it, I about popped my eyes out with the pressure under water and got the Joose. Swimming back with it was more of a challenge than anticipated but now I have another thing to take to Kainoa's recycle session in school next week...hope the teacher doesn't mind Joose.


Friday night, the moon looks awesome, I have plenty of shoes for my feet (THANKFUL) and my belly is overdosed in coconut macaroons. That I do not suggest doing over and over again...


.


Hope you have a great weekend!


Bree



6 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

You just make me smile. Thanks for the email the other day!

March 3, 2012 at 6:45 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

"character is who you are when nobody but God is watching"

Thanks, I need to use that one on the home front..

March 4, 2012 at 6:14 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

shoes are like underwear, you need to be confortable in them and it looks like you/ve found a good fit. Lots of happy running in them so you can catch the Kenyans :-)

March 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

Truly enjoyed this post. Have a great training week.

March 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

 
Blogger Becky H said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 7, 2012 at 3:49 AM

 
Blogger Becky H said...

I love your blog- I too am a triathlete Mom, and my kids have to suffer the stinky mom once in awhile as well, that made me laugh!! You do what you gotta do!!

March 7, 2012 at 3:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home