Aloha!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Swimming Practice (Told by Kainoa)...

I'm 5, that's me in surf trunks on my very first day of swim practice. For over a year karate was my thing, swimbikerun was my moms thing. She always lets me make my own choices about sport and hobbies (secretly she always wanted me to swim). Today I made her day, I joined the swim team!

When we pulled into the pool parking lot I felt at home, we are there A LOT, for her. All of a sudden it dawned on me that today I would not be watching the big swimmers, I would not be coloring, I would not be playing in the kiddie pool splashing, and I would not be swimming to the pool bottom with friends-I WOULD BE SWIMMING LAPS! Reaching for my moms hand I told her, "Mom, I'm a little nervous about this". She held my hand really tight, squeezed 3x, and told me she KNOWS I can do this. Whenever she squeezes my hand 3x I know I am strong, its our thing to do the 3squeeze during moments of nervousness, like before the races and Kindergarten...



Swimming laps is so different than swimming at the beach or playing in the pool, we actually go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth like a million times! And then we did butterfly, breaststroke, and backstroke! Coach Wendy laughed at my backstroke and said, "Just like his momma", I hope not, she actually goes backwards in backstroke! I look AWESOME!! I think I swam like 300 yards today!!! It was so much fun, I'm going back for more!

Check it out, we did dive practice too!! In a few weeks is a swim meet, can you believe that!? After practice mom took me to buy Speedo shorts and new goggles to fit my face better, I REALLY want to swim in the meet!! That's my style, show up to the pool, join the team, and jump into a race! I just love this...

The last lap I left it all out there, what a cool day in my life!

Practicing my freestyle and finishing into the wall is my newest trick. I used to stop at the ladder, or just get out and walk to the end and dive back in. Lap after lap after lap....I swim now!
Coach Wendy MAHALO PLENTY for being such a great Coach, you are the first coach to believe in me and I will forever my first day on the swim team!

.

Love Kainoa.



13 Comments:

Blogger greyhound said...

I can tell momma was very proud.

March 7, 2012 at 4:33 AM

 
Blogger Jen Small said...

I just love this post :)

My little girl, Lola and I have a 3x squeeze too!! Ours means "I LOVE YOU"
one squeeze for each word.

Keep Swimming Kainoa!!

March 7, 2012 at 4:41 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

What, you didn't make Kainoa rock a mini speedo?! Haha.

Nice work little man.

March 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

Way to go Kainoa! Just like your mama, when is the meet? You'll have to have your own blog. Perhaps, when we get to the big island you could influence my son, Thomas, who is 11. We will be there March 29 to April 4. Perhaps, Lavaman day we'll bump into you.

March 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

 
Blogger gelmertri said...

Congrats Kainoa! Won't be long before you will be faster than me!

March 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Kainoa you have got this! Just remember to have fun like you momma!

March 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Well done Kainoa. If it is any consolation, I was 35 years old when I started swimming with my team (CSCSC - camden swiss cottage swimming club) and I was very nervous.
You are only a beginner once and after a few sessions you will be familiar with everything so when another boy or gilr joins your team you can help them out on their first day.
And tell your mum to look into the Aquasphere range of goggles for kids. I wear some for small faces and I never loose my contact lenses :-)
Happy swimming

March 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM

 
Blogger Monica said...

Love it!!!! Kainoa is growing up so fast!

March 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

so so wonderful. love it.

March 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

 
Blogger Pam said...

LOVE the photo of you leaning down to say something to your little guy when he is standing at the edge of the pool. Great post:)

March 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Yahoo!!! Another swimmer boy in the pool and looking fast. And you rock that Speedo, Kainoa. The Jammers only give you a funky tan line. :)

March 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home