Aloha!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Kainoa's First Dive Off the Blocks...

ALOOOOOOHA everybody, pull up a seat, get compy, I am going to tell you all about my very first dive off the blocks. Today coach Wendy had me work on my diving in preparation for my big swim meet Saturday. (I'm entered in the 10 and under 50 free and 50 back).
When it comes to facing the dive blocks you have to approach them with confidence. Stand tall, all 5yrs of you, and act as if diving is something you were born to do! Just get up there and bravely face those giant white blocks that hoover over the pool. No worries about goggles falling off, or forgetting to even put them on (shhh, that might or might not have been what I did today).
This is the part I'm best at, are you listening? Tuck your head, get your arms nice and stream lined, one leg front, one leg back, focus on where you want to land. Have your mind silent and calm. Once you enter the water your body knows what to do...swim.
Swimmers take your marks...go! And you dive! See above, perfection!!
As soon as you enter the water hold that stream line position, take advantage of your speed, and then with all your guts start swimming! You can see from my photos I am truly mastering the art of stream line. Dive #1, so awesome, and to think I am going to get even better ;)
Get to the other end of the pool as fast as you can! Focus on the black line for keeping a straight path down your lane. Look for the wall with your eyes but keep your head down. You got this! I am so excited for my first swim meet, I just know it's going to be a day to remember! My coach tells me I can stop at the wall if I need to before making my second lap, hmmmm, not sure I should let those precious seconds pass me by sitting on the wall...maybe I can learn my flip turns in a week!! Freestyle is my second best stroke so far. Mom wants me to do breaststroke like her, ah not so sure about that... I LOVE backstroke!
Coach Wendy and Coach Steve have me in the 50 backstroke too! I swim that with a smile and can already beat my mom in back, even in surf shorts! Don't worry, Ill race in my speedo pants and goggle on race day.
Finally, the most important thing to remember when it comes to diving off the blocks, just have fun! Belly flops never hurt anyone!! I'll let you know how Saturday goes...
.
Love Kainoa!



10 Comments:

Blogger Ordinarylife said...

A pure natural. so cute!

April 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM

 
Blogger Nitsirk said...

Love it! Just curious- what kind of camera do you have? I love the underwater pics and the action shots off the block.

April 3, 2012 at 2:00 AM

 
Blogger Katie said...

Love it. Brings back many fond memories :)

April 3, 2012 at 2:37 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Having fun is the most important thing for everyone to remember!

April 3, 2012 at 4:57 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Hey little man...
A pair of Speedos will get you 5 seconds...
I know, I know.... resistance training....

April 3, 2012 at 6:53 AM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

What an awesome post! You must be so proud of him! Good luck to Kainoa in his upcoming race!

April 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

THE BEST Dive EVER Dude! Kick some butt at your swim meet on Saturday (your momma is FANTASTIC at that too)!

So AWESOME!

April 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Hey Kainoa, diving is fun and it looks like you've already mastered it. You'll love learning to tumble turn next. Trust me!

Good luck on your swim meet.

April 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Love his crazy legs off the blocks! What a champ.

Go get 'em Kainoa!

April 6, 2012 at 4:47 AM

 
OpenID damontucker.com said...

I love reading about Kainoa! Makes me want to get my son more involved in a few things.

Happy Weester!

April 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home