Aloha!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Kainoa's First Swim Meet...

Motherhood is FILLED with some pretty cool moments, but this day, as Kainoa's mom will forever remain as one of the best. Kainoa's first ever swim meet! The HPA pool is the home of a pretty hilarious day in my life, a masters swim meet with Kainoa in my belly, prego to the max!! 5 years later we returned for his race-out of the belly! I tried to refrain from crying those tears only a mother would understand, they managed to flow anyways...
Kainoa has truly embraced his coach, teammates, and being part of the swim life. I think he has really found his interest and it excites me that it's something we will be able to share for many, many years. Today he would swim 2 events, the 50 free and the 50 back. After 4 weeks on the team he stood proud and courageous at the waters edge...
The best part was the 5 and under boys diving into the first race of the day! Oh my gosh, I was beaming, still am when I think on that moment, his first dive in a race! ...and they were off! I waited, waited, waited, and waited for him to swim is little heart out. He made it across the pool alright, but it was not the "swimming" he learned in practice...
A minute and 45 seconds after that awesome dive he found his way back to the wall. He watched the other boy next to him the entire way down. On the way back he looked at his team, parents, coaches on the pool deck. In fact, he never even put his face in the water. Kainoa loves the water so I was really baffled why he wouldn't "swim".
Coach Steve wondered where the "freestyle" went too. Kainoa said, "I was so scared of the drain mom, I thought it would suck me up. I couldn't put my face in the pool because I didn't want to see it and go down the drain". I didn't laugh, I wanted to though. He was so scared of being in that new pool, a pool far from the pool he learned to swim in, with a drain at the bottom! (hold your laughter back...)
Next up his little buddies and him had the 50 back, this is HIS stroke! I just feel it, one day he is going to be a champ at this, he absolutely loves it (and you can't see the drain!)
He was so ready for the back stroke, so focused, so excited! AND...he swam the back stroke all the way down and all the way back on his back!! He kicked so hard, rolled his shoulders, and managed to even pass 2 bigger kids! I guess not looking at a drain really helps...
At the end of both swims waited Masuda, his dad, and his brothers. It was so awesome for him to find a sport he loves and feel all that support doing something he enjoys with everyone cheering him on. Talk about a proud day as a parent...
...and that back stroke, I'd love to claim it, but it did not come from me (see above). The fear of the drain, that isn't mine either, honest...
.
Happy Swimming!!



10 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

sooooo cute! in the water and under pressure all sorts of irrational fears revel themselves. Kainoa has his whole life ahead of him and a million swim meets to do and win.

April 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I was waiting on pins and needles to hear how he had done! Great job Kainoa! You are a rock star!

April 9, 2012 at 5:07 AM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

Adorable! Proud parent and friend day! You rock Kainoa.

April 9, 2012 at 5:52 AM

 
Blogger Born To Endure said...

Good for him!!!

April 9, 2012 at 6:53 AM

 
Blogger Katie said...

so cute! Loved this post! Kainoa is a rockstar!

April 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

So AWESOME! Way to go little Dude! Such a proud moment for you:)

April 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

So fun watching Kainoa grow over the years. I think I started my blog (and following you) in 2007 and I remember when he was a tiny little sprout! Great to see him in his first swim meet! Next thing you know it, we'll blink and you two will be looking at Division 1 colleges for swimming!

April 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

 
Blogger Whitney said...

So I'm 33 and sometimes I'm still surprised by the drain...not that I'm scared of it just sometimes I forget that it's there and it surprises me! Congrats to Kainoa on his first swim meet and here's to many many more!

April 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

 
Blogger goSonja said...

This made me weepy...awesome Bree

April 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Way to go little man!!
(The drain scares me too!)

April 11, 2012 at 4:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home