Aloha!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Racing the Rice Cooker...

The morning began in the calm of Kailua Bay, it was easy out and race back with the mermaids (fast girls).  There is an open water swim race here this weekend and I'm pretty sure today was "let's practice race pace".  Thankfully the girl testing our gills ran head first into an oncoming swimmer and had to stop to check her head, not that I wanted her to be hurt but I was ready to catch my breath...
.
I suppose with an Olympic distance triathlon this weekend I needed the practice of gill busting swim speed rather than dolphin-seeking-recovery pace.  From there it was right onto the bike.  You know short stuff transitions are a little (lot) important...
The bike ride also had some speed, 10x2 minutes of effort during 2hours.  Again, I needed this.  I've been doing long solo rides, hill climbs, and other 2wheeled workouts that don't leave me this breathless.  It has been really fun tossing these short course races into the longer stuff and I'm always game to get out of my comfort zone, short race #3 of the season Sunday! 
.
My plan of "quick transition" included one piece of bike clothing.  This was my first ever time in one of these things and I really was not wanting to test it out.  They just look scary to me, how can you go to the bathroom as easy in that thing?  And won't it ride up like a baby jumper suit does?  And a zipper??  But you know, I tried it...and got made fun of...laughed at myself...and almost peed my pants.  In the end, I felt really fast though, then laughed so more and of course got made fun of some more...



The highlight of the day was not the ocean, the hilarious ride on 2 wheels, or the edamame seeds popping up in the garden, it was Kainoa's swim practice. Sitting on the sidelines as he embraces a passion all his own really is a beautiful thing...
...and then I packed!  If you know me at all packing is not the easiest thing to do, no matter the thrill of the awaiting adventure.  In cases such as packing major motivation is needed, that's when I called on the rice cooker.  It was me VS the rice cooker!  The goal was to have the bike in the box ready to go before the rice cooker beeeeeeeeped that it was ready to eat.  Score one for the girl and her bike!
.
2 more sleeps at home and then it's off to the races!
Bree



3 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I like the rice cooker trick - might have to try that one myself seeing as how I HATE packing my bike! ;) Have an awesome race this weekend Bree!

May 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Safe travels!

May 2, 2012 at 4:21 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

for a moment I thought you were going to try fit your rice cooker in the bike case as well.

I agree with you with the 1 piece suits. I have the same trouble with cycling bib shorts.

I shall start my packing for Texas soon and am not looking forward to it at ALL :-(

May 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home