Aloha!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Simply...



Just in case you want something to read, other than what I wrote today, check out this interview:  http://trifatherhood.com/2012/05/16/meet-bree-wee-pro-triathlete-surfer-girl-and-first-and-foremost-mom/

The man that writes it is a daddy that is doing his best to keep some harmony in his busy life, so while his children are young he writes them letters.  Such a cool idea.  Well, he is in the process of writing letters to them about people he meets/knows or are inspired by.  I got to meet his kids...


It's a great thing to have a 5 year old, they give really good advice.  Today's was, "Mommy have fun".  Oh, I had fun alright, it felt like 2007!  In 2007 I rode bike in T-shirts, I did everything with no pressure, very little intimidation, (because what's a 3rd grade teacher, beach bum have to prove?), and it was always fun in sport...just being outside!!  Back in the beginning I rode in a group ride, with my favorite T-shirt of course, with Lieto.  Learned a lot, of course was google-eyed and star struck to be in the same space as a pro, it was simply fun...
.
I still have heaps of fun.  But sometimes I look at old splits and get frustrated when I don't hit them, every time.  Sometimes I just want to be faster-now, sometimes I get intimidated, and sometimes I just don't have fun when I really should be.  So today, I simply made the entire day fun.  No stress over times, no worry over paces, and it is okay whoever shows up to the swims and run...
Sal's run squad is growing and with it so is my run confidence.  Back when I met Sal he pretty much had me scared to even be on the same side of the street running while he ran. Now I hold on as tight as I can, play games to try and pass or catch him, and I enjoy it with all my heart.   The fun began with run intervals and a lot of great people in run shoes.  It is the first time in my entire life I actually, really like to go run hard.  It's easy to do when you feel like 2007, with nothing to prove and unmatching run clothes.  That feeling, nothing to prove, sort of sets a girl free...
 This was simply fun, dolphins on the recovery swim...
Simply said, a bunch of random texts from Maui cheering you on from an island away.
...and even more simple:  Today's grocery list.

I'm leaving you with 2 quotes from good ol' AE.  They were part of my reminders on simply having fun today...

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler". ~Albert Einstein
"People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees results". ~Albert Einstein
.



5 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

There's nothing better than running with other people to push you that bit harder....at least once a week. your running mates look like a bunch of happy people too which helps.
so does Lieto "live" on the island?

May 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I believe you are great at enjoying the little things in life. So applying it to your workouts should also be easy. I know sometimes it is not but I believe you can. You go girl!

May 17, 2012 at 4:17 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

Love it! Kainoa's is a wise little Dude too!

May 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

 
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Your interview was an awakening for me. Thanks for being so candid, thoughtful and truthful (as always). You have given me food for thought as lately I've closed myself off from much of what I love. Made my problems bigger than what they really are. Yet again, you have proven that is the simple things that count.

Thanks xoxoxo

May 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Reading that blog post on you reminded me of all the reasons I fell hard for you two years ago. Thanks for the reminder.

May 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home