Aloha!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Writing Goals...

My homework on Monday was to write down my goals.  My very own goals that matter to me.  In grade school that was no problem, dream it up and write it down.  Think it through, never.  Be realistic, of course not.  Count a loss, what?  Fear failure, how can you lose?  My teachers must have loved my goals, they were AWESOME.  No limitations, no holding back, straight into whatever I wanted to do, whomever I wanted to become, and wherever I wanted to go.  Goals were the best!

On Monday it wasn't very easy to write them.  My hands got super dirty instead, I land in the garden where dirty nails and digging makes me feel better.  It's not that I don't have goals, I do. Some are even written around my home.  It's the "sharing" part that is not what it was when I was a kid.  I just kept digging, eventually wrote them and sent them. 

At run group this morning, we were warming up, one of the girls mentioned a little something about Ironman.  I blushed, what she said was so cool and I'd love to experience that moment we "goaled" about.  Instead I busted out another goal, a completely different goal than anyone expected me to say.  It had absolutely nothing to do with sport.  It was my start to sharing goals, to verbalizing them.  Most the time the things we think then speak happen.  Outside of sport I've got goals too, sharing it on this blog today, no way, with them this morning-easy! What happened to that kid in me?!  I want her back...

After the run KPN swam (dragged, pulled) me to the Iron buoy.  When I got there all of me began to cry.  Tears filled my goggles, my face looked sun burnt red, and I was itching.  Itching to race Ironman again. THAT is my goal, to get back into the race that I once saw running through my back yard, fell in love with, then told all of town that "One day I will do Ironman".  And then I did.  In 2004 I thought it, said it, then did it, a few times.  With this point thingy the pros follow the year is pretty much set to unfold with those that have been point chasing all season.  Maybe I'm late in the game.  Maybe not.  Hey teacher, my goal is to race Ironman Hawaii.  There are a few more races this season, I'll do them, I'll try.  I'll go for it.  2012, 2013, 2014 one day.  I'll be at the start line of my favorite 140.2 miles on Earth again...

Amazing how getting a little peak at a goal really sets it into motion.  That glimpse of the Iron buoy floating way out to sea reminded me so much of what I love, part of who I am, and tons of what I enjoy.  It is a beautiful spot to be when you know the goals that make up who you are and fearlessly let them flow from thoughts to words to action...

Keep dreaming, chasing some goals, and be a kid if you must-bravely write them without a care in the world, see you at a start line!

Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger Ordinarylife said...

What a great goal to have! And one I have no doubt you will attain.

May 24, 2012 at 12:53 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I believe in you and know that you will make it back. Racing the big one is also my goal but I have a long way to go!!! But I like I said to you, I just have to Believe!

May 24, 2012 at 5:15 AM

 
OpenID trifatherhood.com said...

Rooting for you, Bree! You can do it.
- Chad

May 24, 2012 at 7:47 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

Beautiful and inspiring post Chica! Go after them and MAKE THEM HAPPEN!

May 24, 2012 at 7:50 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

It's the only way to make it happen Bree! Putting your goals into action, even when sometimes they don't go according to plan. Try and try until you get there.
I'm doing the same here as an AG to get to Kona one year.

May 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home