Aloha!

Monday, July 30, 2012

First Day of School...



Today I told my mom how thankful I am that Kainoa is not like me, well he is in some ways, but not the bad ones...

Yesterday he cut his own hair, he was perfectly proud to wear those chopped up bangs to the first day of 1st grade, owning his hair cut.  That's a lot like me, I own & celebrate all the things I really, really love about life, I've even worn my own cut hair proudly!  The part we are different is the first day of school, the "back to school part", to be specific.  He is much more awesome than I ever was.

This discovery began over school supply shopping.  Do you remember buying those 3-ring binders and pocket folders?  I do, very clearly.  My mom always made us girls get the boring folders with 3 prongs, not the cool ones with horses on them or sparkles.  And the 3-ring binders, we got the plain ones, not the ones with clear plastic over them to slip cool drawings in the front.  The only thing she let us splurge on was Crayola crayons, the other ones really did not work as well.  As for pencils, always the #2 yellow ones, not the mechanical ones.  At that age I was sad rather than thankful, looking at my classmates with cool school supplies left me a blob of pity.  (I've changed since then, honest). Back to Kainoa.  Shopping with him, I was offering to let him pick out a couple awesome folders with waves or animals on them, he chose the plain ones, he just wanted his name on them.  As for pencils, no lie, he wanted the ones for "just 10 cents".  This mom was so proud, he amazed me that trip through Target.

But the best part, was this morning.  My parents wanted to buy Kainoa his back to school clothes and shoes, how blessed are we!  In the mail went the box, of course not landing in Hawaii when it was meant to land here. Last night, the night before school came and flashbacks of my mother taking my sisters and I school clothes shopping flooded me.  We all wanted new dresses, hair bows, dress shoes and PE shoes, purses, skirts, socks, all of it, and more if she would let us.  Sometimes we would cry because we wanted another dress and sadly, sometimes the trendy expensive things.  Those spoiled moments of mine were flooding big time...

Kainoa was nothing like that and this morning, the first day of school, he put on his favorite beach shorts he wore all Summer to the beach, a clean shirt, and then we went to put on his shoes.  Soaking wet from the weekend trip we took around the island, we wiped off the mud, I was holding in tears feeling so bad about my behavior to mom years ago, for Kainoa being in old shoes, and for not just going shopping.  Kainoa smiled, "Mom these shoes have all the fun left on them from Red Road".  He did not notice them as "last years" or "old", but the fun ones.  He was so proud.  I was proud of him.  We left the house excited for school, but made a trip to the PO BOX at 7:05 to check one more time for the box from the grandparents...

It was there!  Kainoa was shouting in the mail room at his new shoes!  He was glowing, he never asked for them and didn't even know they were coming, he was thankful, an amazing love, the best I have ever known I have found in my son.  Then we pulled out new shoes and shorts, lots of them with tags still on.  I asked Kainoa if he wanted to change into the new clothes, he was happy in the outfit he had on and just new shoes...

My parents amaze me, Kainoa amazes me, I have a lot of growing up to do.  Of course I know school is more than new clothes and pretty school supplies, it just took me till now for a 6yr old to teach me.  AS for the haircut, we did shave his head and he loves it... 



We also took our family vacation around the island this weekend... it was perhaps one of the best vacations ever endured.  A lot to laugh about, memories to last a lifetime, and plenty of time together.  As Kainoa has also taught me LOVE is spelled TIME...








Bree



3 Comments:

Blogger Nick, Brooke ,Whistler said...

I wanted to call so bad to wish Kai a great first day in first grade! No service until today. Sounds like all is well, we love you guys...

July 31, 2012 at 7:57 AM

 
Blogger Nick, Brooke ,Whistler said...

I wanted to call so bad to wish Kai a great first day in first grade! No service until today. Sounds like all is well, we love you guys...

July 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

This post took me back to my schoold days. I too didn't have fancy school supplies: same boring 3 ring folder (dark grey mottled cover?) and the cheap pens and pencils. To this day the BIC c
Crystal blue pens are my favourite ones to write with and yes I have a load of those yellow pencils (No.2)still, they're design classics by the way!
But what I had were great friendships that last to this day, inspiring teachers and a wonderful time.
Wishing Kainoa a lot of fun and learning on his return to school
P.S: .....blimey! isn't that a bit too early? here kids only go back on the 1st september!!!

July 31, 2012 at 9:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home