Aloha!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Something about the bike...

I don't have a bike photo or any taken from the ride, even though a few views were more than photo worthy, I just rode...  There is something about the bike so different than a swim or a run.  I love how far you can get, I love that you can push really hard and make it sting everywhere, even your face.  And I love how you can stop pedalling, like down the big hill today, and still move so fast...

Do you know what my favorite part of life is right now?  All of it.

Yesterday was Jesse's service, a lot of people in our small town are super affected by his death.  I went out for a ride at turtles pace during the towns tears, a little sad, just thinking about how in one moment someone is here and the next they are gone.  I'm pretty sure that is no way to spend a day, sadly considering death, but I am sure it is a good reason to put aside things that do not matter.  Thankfully just moments into the ride a couple of the guys joined up and we ended up smashing ourselves, maybe that was for Jesse, to just beat out a good ride and smile through it.  I know he loved riding his bike like that...

Today was a much longer ride and it left me with a lot of time to think, as bike rides are so good for that.  I thought only about people.  First about my family and how we are so blessed to have the beach as our backyard, to be part of something that costs nothing and gives us so much. Especially thankful that Kainoa gets to grow up like this! Then I thought about my mom and how I hung up on her this morning, Why on Earth Bree, it was just a lecture (out of love), you should be used to those by now?  Then I thought about my dad, (the birth one), he called for the first time in like 10 years but I was sleeping, he might not know I live 6hrs different time zone.  Then I thought about my dad, (the one I grew up with), he sent me a necklace to remind me he loves me, I felt bad about that because I haven't taken my whale tale necklace off in 10 years, when a whale came over to me on my surf board at Lyman's. Not sure how to tell him "thank you", but I don't plan to take the whale off.  I thought about my amazing sisters and brothers.  Both my brothers are engaged, so proud of them growing up to be men and that they have found women worth claiming.  Thought about my sister and her family on their 3 month long bike ride across the mainland.  Thought about my older sister and how much I wish I could be like her, she is the strongest of all of us, nothing in life effects her because she believes so much in who she is.  Then I thought about my pregnant sister, her world is about to get really awesome!  I thought about my friends too, they feed me dinner-a lot.  They let me call all the time and answer their phones, I love life so much more because of them.  And Masuda, I wonder how I got so blessed...

I was pretty much smiling by this point in the ride.  I thought about being sad or mad, because of stuff happening in life, but it is not worth it to think too much on things out of our control, or to stress them before they happen or not, and mostly because life always opens another door if one should close, and if that is not an option we can jump and fly through a window...

At that point my thoughts went to people I'm motivated by right now.  A lot of good people have been jumping into my life through way of text, email, or a stranger on the street, to them I am beyond grateful.  What beautiful people to care by choice.  Then I thought about Meredith Kessler.  I was going down the hill where we ran into each other during Ironman 2010, same spot, had me thinking of her. You know how some people are just good people because they only know how to give kindness, that is her.  She was the very first person to write me when I landed on my face in a mess, between her races she reached out.  She was all shades of supportive, which means a lot coming from the most winning girl in sport at the moment.  Then I thought about the man directing traffic, he made all the cars go "slow" then turned the sign to "stop" when it was my turn to pass the new road, he laughed, smiled, then said "have a nice day", go.  Maybe unknowingly I needed that laughter, thank you to that stranger...

My final thought about people came from a moment in yesterday, at the University of the Nations.  My feet always land on that campus, it's on my bucket list to return to schooling there, so I look at classes and pretend to enroll in all the ones I want to be part of. I was holding 4 books, put them down on hold, wanting to cry a little because it sucks being too poor to afford books, they are priceless to me, like an education, and then I met a professor.  I tried not to cry in front of him and some how mustered out what I was wanting to say, that landed him telling me that he can maybe let me sit in on a class or two for a couple weeks, or go to lectures. People AMAZE me, some are just so, so, so good....like really good.

The rest of the ride was pretty much the same, pedal, think, pedal, appreciate, pedal, pout, pedal, get motivated, pedal, feel encouraged, pedal, go home and call my mom back...

Happy riding, be safe too...
Bree






5 Comments:

Blogger run4daysbill said...

Thank you. Thank you for taking the time to write what so many of us feel and think and just never get around to sharing. Lots of power, truth and hope here. Here's wishing that you continue to carry all three of those with you as you go, Bree. And that you always remember that you have them on board.

July 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

Sometimes all it takes is a bike ride or run to put it all back into perspective!!!

July 19, 2012 at 3:38 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

It never ceases to amaze me the support that professionals give each other at work. Good for MBK. Nice to see women behaving/writing the way that she does, (not "catty.")

Lots of prayers and thoughts for Jesse's family.

Enjoy your ride today.

July 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Love reading your blog, Bree... you always have a way to keep us feeling grounded and blessed. Through our ups and downs in life, it is encouraging to hear shared stories of others going through similar stuff. As a beginner triathlete and marathoner, and a quiet fan of yours... I am always inspired by your beautiful life you live. Thanks. So happy for you that you got your USAT card and hoping for happy ending in a few weeks between triathlon/teaching. Sending a little prayer your way ...And for Jesse and his family.

Happy and safe training! :)

July 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

There are good people out there and I'm glad they are coming out to support you.
Just so you know, we're both enroled in the University of Life right now :-)
I hope you get to attend some of the lectures though

July 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home