Aloha!

Sunday, October 28, 2012

HIgh and Dry...

We did it, the island survived another tsunami.  A one footer hit and we all breathed a sigh of relief.  The sirens were going off, anyone living on Ali'i Drive was evacuated, and the beaches were closed.  Everyone woke up with anticipation of the ocean commotion.  How was the surge, did we get surf, and is the Peaman Biathlon still on?!  The beaches were closed until 6:30 or 7am, then the race was on.  And you know us crazy locals, any excuse to gather together near the ocean (race or not), we land there.  The ocean was beautiful even with the bit of unknown that lingered from the quake.  We had some surges, a few people that would not even set foot in the water, and the visibility was a little poor, but it was pretty enough and race friendly...so we raced.

The race plan pretty much went like this:  Beat Mike DeCarli.  He and his family are wonderful friends and next weekend would be his day to claim all the smack talk possible with the TriLanai facing us.  There is no secret, down hill scares me, bad, and he is an animal, the kind of guy on a mountain bike that will jump things, race things, and hit rocks on purpose-for fun.  I just wanted to have one moment of glory in front of him before next weekend when he laughs through my tears down a hill...

 After the biathlon my mission was to get a crew to go tackle the mountain biking with me.  The crew didn't exactly form BUT all a girl needs is one...and I got Masuda!  After convincing him it would be "really fun" on a Sunday, he was game on.  Up the hills he was not liking me.  He can ride a mountain bike but I'm not sure he liked the hill I picked.  On the down hill however, it was a sad, sad, sad sight to see.  He was just like DeCarli and the brave boys!  Jumping things, racing, and scaring the )($%# out of me!!  He said, "I thought you were joking when you said you are bad on downhills".  It was better than my ride last week, but it was ugly.  Anyways, we have 6 days till the race so I plan to get on the mountain bike again and maybe again...

Sunday ended with a perfect sunset and a much brighter outlook on the coming week than the runaway moment I had early this week.  Hope your Monday is the start to a good week too!

Bree



2 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

By now Monday feels so far away, phew, it has been a busy week!
I'm so pleased the Tsunami never happened and I love the fact the the race went ahead.

November 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM

 
Blogger Andi Anderson said...

I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
triathlon week

November 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home