Aloha!

Monday, October 1, 2012

In a Matter of Days...

A few days just happened and all of a sudden its a new day, a new week, and a new month! The week after a race always does that to me, they happen fast and furiously!!  I'm pretty sure minimal sleep happened, lots of eating happened, an over abundance of family/friend time flourished, and then of course sneaking a few thoughts of "up next in triathlon...".   My intentions included more though, like "work stuff", chores that I hold off on (insert windows, screens, vacuum), and then the obvious, garden time.  None of that existed last week...maybe this week.

So what did happen...

Kainoa's swim meet.  He was hilarious, awesome, a little timid, very excited, nervous, motivated, shy, out going, and everything in between.  That's him in lane #2 above, gosh he has some cool dives lately! As for goggles, it happened a month or more ago.  He looks up to Coach Steve a lot, he heard the story about back in Coaches day of swimming, goggles were not even invented, Coach never wore any.  Now...Kainoa refuses them too...
A high light was hearing the sweet sounds of Mike on guitar and a date night!  I know, I LOVE dates!  Not just because it's a good moment to toss out the sporty clothes, but it's a good moment to feel like a princess!  Maybe other moms can relate, but when you are taken on a date, all of a sudden the things in life that trip you up are forgotten, it feels a lot like being taken care of in such a way that you get to actually put the hair down and not hold up the front, "I got this, I am doing it, it's handled, promise I'll make it happen, I'll be right there, I can help, count me in...ect."  Dates are those "just breathe" moments for me...
 
We sort of had 2 this weekend, actually.  We escaped to a sunset surf Friday night.  About the time I could not see and the stars were popping up, I busted my mouth face first on my board trying to stay on a wave that was doubling up.  The blood made me think a shark was on the loose, it looked like botox for a minute, and then I called it an evening and paddled in waiting on shore for my prince charming...
The most painful part was a long ride up North with a handful of guys racing Ironman in a couple weeks.  Believe me, it is exciting when they invite me to train with them, the sport of it all fires me up and always makes me better than I was the day before.  Some snot flown on me (except that one time I was in the front right spot), a few moments of praying for a tow rope to magically appear, and a very sore legs, are good for a girl every now and then. 

Swims were cool too, dolphins and mantas kept us company, salt water is always a good thing, and my swim needs me to pay more attention to it.  As always, just when the swim needs "extra" work the pool closes here in Kona and the good intentions I had of interval work and chasing the squad back and forth lap after lap just lands me back at the drawing board.  Note to self:  Next week pool swim. 
Kainoa is now off for Fall Break and we spent an hour researching field trips around the island.  To our discovery, we have done most all the things offered up and at little or no cost compared to what they are trying to offer visitors!  No joking, we found a trip to a volcano for $150, a hike for almost $200, and dolphin swims for $200 and more depending on if you want to touch them, waterfall excursions for up to $400, you can even get lei'd for $26!!!  My eye balls popped out reading all the adventure pricing!  Hey, I could make bank here, I'll drop a lei around your neck for half the cost (and string it myself for another $2).  But I get it, the hike they offer to drive you half way and carry your food/water for you.  When we do it for free, we have to hike and carry our stuff....

We are going to find fun, it happens for us without even trying sometimes, and I'm pretty sure we will even do something we have yet to do here on the island!  Maybe string leis and sell them at the pier all morning for $26....
 Not fun stuff happened too, a minor interruption to a good day was the death of my phone.  It was a very old school blackberry that I got like a year ago (after everyone already, "been there, done that", on the iphone now).  I pride myself in not being a big phone user, in fact it's more likely I walk out the door with my camera and forget the phone.  When the idea of having to deal with a phone jam happened, I was over it, determined to go a week without a phone while they replace it.   Then....and then....Mike got ahold of my "developing country" attitude and sorted me out, I probably need to have a phone and be part of the communication in the world.  With that came...the iphone!  Do you already have it??  Of course, I'm the last person on planet Earth with it!  It is so fun, it even has 82 camera options with the app thingys! Kainoa tested it out in the store (see above), gave his approval, and we proudly iphone through our texts and calls now...it's fun.
Finally.... the 4 days saw grocery money landing in my lap for doing something I do regularly.  Run. On. The. Beach.  Beautiful Kua Bay was home to a very short little photo shoot that I got to cash in on...sweet deal!  And now, a new day, a new week, and a new month awaits....

Have a good one!
Bree



3 Comments:

Blogger Chrissy Steigerwald said...

"No cost fun" is the best kind!!

October 2, 2012 at 6:39 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

I LOVE that you guys do everything at no cost! Awesome!
I am laughing at our lifes parallels right now, the big man just got me an Iphone (that I should have in 2 weeks) - hello FaceTime! And its Free Chica! Have a blast with your little man on his week off.

October 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Bree when i go over there i need to sign up for the Wee Tours and I'll gladly pay for you to show me the island and teach me how to make a lei.
I don't have an Iphone but a crappy HTC :-)
Have a great week

October 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home