Aloha!

Thursday, November 8, 2012


"I crave a love so deep even the oceans would be jealous"... That quote fluttered around in my head during this mornings swim, it of course turned my thoughts toward Kainoa.  As parents we get this very cool opportunity to build up each and every dream a child holds.  At the moment Kainoa's is to build a hotel and run it.  Logistically, I know all that would go into that dream actually happening.  The simplicity of it all to him is this, "Dad will build it with his tools, you make the beds mom, and Mikey can work the front desk checking people in". 

He keeps making these fantastic ideas turned dreams into somewhat of blueprints for what he feels is his reality.  Believing like that really is something so 19 years ago or so for me.  In my lofty researching of the impact parents have on their children it is proven that 100 out of 100 times we should encourage and promote these plans, no matter the "WOW" of it all.  And if we don't?  We turn out like those content on the sidelines of life...

Prompted by a childlike desire to hear my own dad tell me my big girl dreams will all come true too, I called him.  That somehow turned into him telling me that I am full of the Christmas spirit.  Not what I was looking for, so I looked harder and dug out the Christmas boxes.  After hanging our 5 stockings, a row of lights, and more green and red clutter, it did feel like some sort of childlike faith was taking over.  Or maybe it was memories of watching "Rudolf and The Grinch" so many times as a kid that I drifted back to those days of thinking a red nosed reindeer is real and bad guys do turn out good in the end... 

With 2 hours before Kainoa's swim practice there was one more place to look for whatever it was I was looking for, the movie theater.  If you have yet to see, "Chasing Mavericks" go see it!  You will want to press on towards your dreams even if the past, people, or fear gets in your way.  Life is short.  Life is full of opportunities if we are open to them.  And, it is far better to look for reasons why things will work rather than why they might not...

With that motivational movie filtering in my mind, I was super fired up to go to Kainoa's swim practice.  This weekend he has a meet he really wants to swim fast at, he has a dream to camp under stars down at Maks, and he wants to draw an outline of his hotel.  Dreams baby, dreams...

Back to that quote, "craving a love so deep even the oceans would be jealous", I think it means to have someone believe in you and the beauty of your dreams so deeply that you begin to believe in yourself...

Another little something Kainoa taught me.
Bree



6 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Kainoa's dream is a glimpse into his potential one day. Could it be that he will become a businessman one day?
You can tell him I'd love to be a guest at his hotel.:-)

November 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

I am not sure who needed this post more, you or me? Thank you.

Have a great weekend! Go Kainoa!

November 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

That is awesome, such a sweet post. I have an eight yr old son (and ten yr old daughter) who is always dreaming like that too, your story makes me smile... *BOYS!* :) Such a wonderful mommy you are.

November 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

Dream BIG Dude and you too CHICA!

November 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM

 
OpenID triathlonobsession said...

In keeping with your Christmas spirit--- I have another box of used sneakers/slippers (flip flops) to send and hoped you had a suggestion of a worthy cause like you did a few years ago. Hurricane Sandy inspired a big closet clean out! Please let me know where I can send since I think it's better than to lug to hawaii in march and the summer stuff is not needed here on the east coast. Thanks and happy holidays! Elizabeth

November 12, 2012 at 7:30 AM

 
Blogger Edward Franklin said...

This is something i was looking for .. i am really thankful to you for this Triathlon Tips

November 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home