Aloha!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

To Cheer...


Cheer:  To create hope and enthusiasm.  Man, I am loving that definition!  The world could use a little more of that for sure and today I got a taste of it bigger than expected.  The morning of the Lavaman Triathlon landed today, Kainoa and I had a very big job, stop cars on the hot corner (bike turn).  I'm pretty sure every car on the Queen K near NELHA wanted to sucker punch us, traffic was majorly backed up and we were the ones not letting it flow.  I've never had that job, never wanted that job, and until today never saw the huge importance of that job.  I did see one accident, one man fly off his bike, 4 girls miss the turn, 2 riders collide, one man almost nail Kainoa, one friend nail me, and well-volunteering is WAY harder than it looks and WAY more important than my usual racing self ever, ever, ever imagined! But...it lead me to cheer. 

Back to the cheering.  It creates hope and enthusiasm.  You better believe I tasted that this morning!  By simply cheering, riders would pick up the pace, they would smile, they would even stop to talk!  (One woman did indeed stop and talk to us).  People believe when they are given just a little push in the direction they intend to go.  That lead me to think on more...

That's Marissa.  She is an up and coming Big Island triathlete and sincerely impresses me.  I think the first time we met was last year and I maybe said 4 words to her, something about "awesome, you got this".  From that day last year she has flung fast forward into an entirely new level.  Off 4 words?  Amazing the impact people can have on each other...

 ...and because everything does not revolve around sport in my life, let's talk about love, too.  A very close friend of mine lost his wife to cancer a few years ago.  Tonight he sent me this photo of them many years ago and with it a message about love and holding close the ones that mean most to us.  That reminded me of cheering for those we love, too.  To spread hope and enthusiasm to their dreams, desires, and goals in this life.  The more I cheered today and think about cheering on family and friends the more I find it is such a beautiful, selfless act that impacts another.  I know I'm usually on a receiving end of many, many cheers.  They now mean that much more to me...
...and another friend sent this picture.  Sam.  Believe it or not, this is his way of cheering for me (and all his friends actually), a little sarcasm or smart aleck...  Seriously, this cheer thing has taken a whole new meaning.  It's pretty easy too, just yell things like, "go", "You got this", "AWESOME", or, "move it".  I guess with Thanksgiving on the way all that holiday happy that lingers is starting to take over within me and today was just the begining...

Cheer on!
Bree



2 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Great post Bree. Sooooo true! You are a constant reminder of the great things in life!

November 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

isn't it hard to volunteer? I've tried it only a couple of times with my running and my cycling clubs (I don't do it enough really) and when you have to stop cars.....eeeek! you get all sorts of verbal abuse and gestures. Here in London tends to be from female drivers. One of the weirdest volunteer jobs i've had to do is to drive my car around the course to shooo (gently) deeer and fallow off the road.
And yes, cheering can be done form the side of the road on inrace conditions when going past other competitors, just a fun, encouraging word does wonders :-)

November 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home