Aloha!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Another Year...

One more year in the books!  The 32nd year of life has been lived, loved most all of it, thankful for the lessons, and pretty excited about what life will bring.  But it has been a heck of a roller coaster of a year and on my 33rd birthday I never imagined what a pain in the foot it would be (or how surprisingly wonderful).  How's the foot?  It hasn't really been too horrible as I haven't used it.  I admit, a few mountain tops are begging me to climb them and a good hike would make my day...but I'm not going crazy without swimbikerun and some friends and I have planned a way to the mountain without using our legs. 

Yesterday I tried this treatment that has been completely unknown to me until I actually went for it.  Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy.  Have you heard of it?  Well, they take your blood, spin it around to separate the 4 parts of it, then suck out the white blood cells and inject them with a big needle into your broken bone.  About 3 hours after the process I couldn't move my toes, walk at all, not even on my heel, and felt worse than when it broke.  The night was a nightmare of pain, but I woke up feeling like this...

AMAZING!  Nope, the foot is not healed yet...but I believe in the PRP therapy and firmly trust it will get better.  The process has some evidence that the blood cells will speed up the recovery of the bone.  The foot itself lost the swelling, bruising, and I could walk far enough to land in the ocean.  A swim buoy, some good friends, and a lot of dolphins had me so very happy!  Something about the ocean, it just makes everything so much better.  Salt water on your skin, moving some blood, and all of a sudden you forget you are hurt. Talk about natures healing.

As a matter of fact, all of my 32nd year of life felt good in those moments.  Flash backs of the hard work, the keeping my chin up when life got challenging, the healing in my heart on so many levels, the great people that I get to love, the exciting places ventured, so many hope filled days, the list of good far out reached the days of crying over milk that spilled.  The foot and I are still only on a "swim at your own pace" day-by-day program.  I might get to ditch the pull buoy soon.  Friday's Xray will let us know if we can add in the bike, any kick to the swim, or even walking with more weight yet.  As for me, I know how these things go, take a step too soon and you can end up taking 2 steps back. No rush, but I would love a run and will continue to count the days till I can try one, or even aqua jogging...

 
 The perfect playground...

 The best part of the day though, was Maui.  Kainoa and I spent the weekend on Maui with Mike.  We just love being able to visit him across the Pacific and for some reason every time my head or heart is filled with curiosity about life, love, or sport, the flight home reveals some peace to me on the matter at hand.  So the flight home delivered yet again, a rainbow of hope to cover all parts of my life leading into my 33rd year of life.  It's going to be really good, I just know it.  Anyways, after that horrible needle I was hung up all day on bed rest (or Wendy's couch rest) with chick flicks while she babysat me.  And wouldn't you know...

At dinner time, in walked Mike!  The best birthday surprise ever, he flew over and landed a mango cupcake with some candles.  I made the best wish a girl could wish for and crossed my fingers pretty darn tightly.
And now, a week before Christmas there are still some rocks being thrown down that are getting a little heavy for my umbrella, but a lot of rainbows this time of year fill the sky, dolphins galore, and hope on the horizon.  That's life on the island even with a broken foot...

Bree



9 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Bree it sounds like you're doing everything possible to recover. I know what you mean, when you can't do something like running, that's when you want to do it more. But you still get to do some activities to maintain some of that fitness and sanity. and that's the most important thing. I think i've heard about that therapy but don't know much about it. You have to try everything. and those dolphins? they came to greet you :-)
take care

December 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

 
Blogger run4daysbill said...

Beautiful writing, Bree. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

December 19, 2012 at 3:47 AM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

Happy Birthday! Get better soon.

December 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Dolphin whisperer pics are awesome!

December 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

 
Blogger teamjon said...

I had PRP for a torn Achilles in sept, 2011 . After some intense PT, I starting running in January 2012, I ended up doing 4 olympics and 2 halves including 70.3 worlds. everything is fine . No problems, So it does work

December 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Sounds like you've been doing well with your recovery! I've heard of that treatment, and it sounds amazing (minus the pain). Sending some healing wishes from IL!! Right before my last marathon, I was wrestling with 8 yr old son and he ended up bruising (spraining) one of my ribs! Missed 4 weeks of training, and had lots of pain. I did the race anyhow, ending with a finish I wasn't looking for, but glad I did it anyhow.
Hope all goes well with your recovery... in the meantime, keep swimming w/the dolphins! Such a beautiful picture!!!
Thanks for sharing your beautiful life! Happy Holidays to you and your family, Bree! :)

December 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Happy Birthday, too! ;)

December 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

 
Blogger Tina said...

Great info, thanks for posting. If you’re looking for info on a los angeles acupuncture facility then you should check these guys out.

December 26, 2012 at 7:09 AM

 
OpenID artofandrea said...

Hey! Aloha, I just happened upon your blog . . . I think via a google search on Hawai'i. (I'm missing my island sun!) I also had PRP Therapy! I did five sessions (two for one hip, three for another) over the course of five months. Crazy painful, right?! BUT, it allowed me to avoid surgery and continue to run and be active (eventually). Hope you have a swift and complete recovery! Hang in there!

January 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home