Aloha!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Falling In Love...

You know what I think?  I think falling in love is one of the best things the human heart can do.  It's really healthy if you ask me.  It means we can feel, our hearts our open, and in some small way I think the people, places, and things we love are like our gifts to us from Above.  They are the very things that cause us to feel happy and excited in life.  Even though going to Australia was a difficult journey to start (I always cry when I leave home), as soon as my feet hit the ground and I open my heart to what I am there to do and experience everything gets better. This trip was a perfect way to end the 2012 triathlon season...

Of course there was a giant part of me that thought I was going to win the race a few times, and that would have been very much needed for more than financial reasons, but I'm really not sad. Sitting here without a single "should have, could have, would have" makes it easier to be happy about the race outcome.  Back to that love thing...

I fell in love in OZ.  Something about this Ironman, more than any Ironman I have ever done, had me falling in love with sport all over again.  It was actually fun to line up for the swim start, it was exciting to get beat up, elbowed, and dunked under in the swim, and I had some confidence.  When you are confident about what you are doing or where you belong, you just fall deeper into love...
The kangaroos stole my heart too!  I've learned to the Australians the roo is about as normal as it is for me to swim with dolphins.  My entire goal was to peek into the pouch of a kangaroo but I never got too.  Seeing all these little animals had me pinching myself, its pretty special to think that I am experiencing this!  I thought of how much Kainoa would be loving petting a kangaroo and how nobody in my family has ever been to Australia.  In that moment I fell more in love with my life, I had to appreciate it...


 My last day in OZ was barefoot beaches, purple flowers, and breakfast at the cutest place I've ever eaten.  The day made me do that thing, the one where you just fall more in love with the things you like in life and decide you want to go further with them.  I have a lot of examples, but the little restaurant place had me just dreaming about opening a little eatery! 
 ...and people.  The Australians might be one of the most outgoing bunches I've ever met!  Literally anything goes!  It makes you feel passionate about life.  They just love each other so much, love what they do so much, and are so open minded you feel safe to be yourself.  They wear less clothes than we do here too, so walking the beach sporting horrific 140.6 mile tan lines we felt cool.  It made me appreciate and love my friends back home even more.  I loved the things they do that piss me off, the things they do that challenge me, I fell in love more with the people in my life after spending a week with the Aussies.  But of course, I still can't keep up...the after party was proof of that. 
Now that I am home, after each travel triathlon, I like to look back on what I learned in sport, life, and love.  In my sport life, it was never giving up.  I've never been good at quitting, I loved that challenge I faced running on my foot and to feel as though I won the war despite losing that battle (Ironman). In life, how to really be more passionate about the things I love.  The Aussies went above and beyond demonstrating that in excess, how to just go crazy about everything and anything you like in life.  And for my love life, even though I was in such a pretty place with unique experiences, and wonderful people, there is no place like home with those I love most...

In case you are wondering how much I loved that Ironman experience, not so much the 27 hour trip, I want to return next year, and the next.  So what is next?  Off season and I plan to return to OZ for Melbourne Ironman :)

Cheers!!
 Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger Thorsten said...

Bree,
I haope this was the end of your 2012 season (not 2013 as you wrote).
All the best for your off-season
Thorsten

December 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM

 
Blogger Kathy said...

gorgeous pictures and love reading your adventures!

December 12, 2012 at 4:19 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

AUS and NZ.... fantastic places

2013 will be great.

It seems that we just miss each other on the IM dance calender. I will probably do Melbourne in 14..
How about CDA in 13?

December 13, 2012 at 4:24 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Over the years I've had different opinions about love. There have been times where I felt I've been weak for opening my heart and being vulnerable to getting hurt. It's all a learning curve I suppose and all worth it :-)
PS: that kangarooo is ADORABLE

December 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

 
Blogger sabina moon said...

Nice article. your article is very good and E-book is well. I love as like as E-book. I think there are best e-book link in the world. If any one search more e-book i seggust their visit here and collect more
Beginning triathlons

December 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home