Aloha!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Counting Blessings...

Today I was thinking about the happiest person I know, without a doubt in my mind, my mother.  I've never seen anyone on Earth turn more lemons into lemon aid or find a brighter side to some insane dark days than her.  It's pretty amazing.  If you ask her, she would say it's her little faith in a big God.  If you don't ask her but look from a distance, you can say, LOVE.  She has this way about her that is so passionate & appreciative.  As a mom, it happens often, that I check myself at this job of motherhood I've been blessed with.  My mom raised the bar pretty high, but I'm finding she is right, if you go at life with a lot of passion and appreciation it's not too hard to see brighter sides...

 Other than watch Kainoa and his buddies get slammed by shore break after school, I gave it my "moms best shot" at the appreciation part of this week.  (The passionate part I got down).  With very little effort, I was humbled greatly!  A handful of people have blessed me right out of my mind this week, beyond any expectations, above any limits that I just maybe put out there.  I should share them, because if it weren't for my mom always appreciating every single drop of her life (including the people), I may have summed up this week as being just like any other...and it's not.

Okay, briefly...
I am so much appreciating Wendy & Fredo having Kainoa and I over for dinner every week, so this mom has a night off dishes once a week. My mom friends at Kainoa's school that let me make all sorts of parent bloopers yet believe in me.  My little sister that lets me come over everyday before Kainoa's swim practice to take a nap and eat all her food!  My Coach Steve for being so real about me in sport.  Oden, who gives me a free Chiro/ART/Rehab treatment every week that I can't afford, and this week he is working on me 3x a week because I've some how messed myself up pretty bad!  Really, who has money for that 3x a week, not me!  What a blessing!  And Zoot, who is going the extra length to send my race clothes to OZ and asked if I need a ride from the airport and to join for dinner one night!?  Seriously, that's amazing!  I'm not done yet, Coconut Girls gave me a massage today too! Here is huge news, if you aren't expected to place very well in the Ironman then the directors don't help with hotel-no hotel for me at Ironman Melbourne.  They also ran out of homestay options, it has not been bright seeing a massive flight expense then $1,600 for hotel.  BUT...The Gillmer family is opening their home to me as of Monday (I can breathe)!!  Also, 3 teachers have called me in to sub in their class, HELLO EXTRA WORK, thank you teachers of the island! And then...I had only enough Hawaiian Airlines miles for a flight and a half this weekend to Hapalua.  Yeah, bummer, they would have to drop me out of the plane and I'd end up swimming home.  My boyfriend gave me miles so I don't have to swim the rest of the way home.  It's been like that all week.  I'm finding, if you look (and not even that hard) there really are amazing people all around us, at all times, not always in huge things, but little things...

Maybe that's why my mom is so happy.  She looks at each and every little thing, before long they add up, to lots of things...
 


To the little blue eyes that call me mom, if I am even a tiny bit as passionate & appreciative in this life as my mom has taught me to be, then you will one day be counting blessings all day long, like I did today...

Bree



7 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Your mum sounds lovely and it's all coming full circle, I'm sure Kainoa thinks of you as the best and most happy mum in the world.

I'm so pleased that people are coming forward to help you get to IM Melbourne. If we ever have IM London (challenge henley perhaps Bree?), you're very welcome to stay at my place :-)

March 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM

 
Blogger Kathy said...

THAT explains it! I always wondered where the example was for the joy you bring to your posts and I should have guessed - it is always the mom. :) You've done Very Well emulating her and being a GREAT example!

March 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

 
Blogger rileygirl said...

Bree--I am a 40 year old mom of a 7 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. I started running in 2011 and did my first races in 2012. The Hapalua last year was one of the first races I did--running the relay. As relay runners we hung out at the finish line for the Hapalua which was our starting line for the relay. The Hapalua was the first ever race finish I had ever seen and I saw you cross the line with so much joy elation, energy and looking amazing, beautiful and strong. (I did see everyone else cross, but it was you that caught my attention). At that moment I was hooked!! Since then I have run 5 half marathons and a full marathon and will be running the Hapalua Half for the first time. I have followed your blog and your career via Hawaii Sports Mag and my two kids are able to pick you out of a crowd after being told many times that you are mommy's hero. I am so glad that you will be running in the Hapalua on Sunday and I wish you much success in your races and all else that you do. You are truly an inspiration!! Keep running!

March 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM

 
Blogger triathletemargs said...

Hi Bree, I love your blog. You're a real inspiration. I can't wait to see you race in IM Melbourne, although I'll be "racing" too (my first IM) so I probably won't actually get to watch you finish but it'll be an honor being out there with you. xx

March 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

 
Blogger sabina moon said...

Nice article. your article is very good and E-book is well. I love as like as E-book. I think there are best e-book link in the world. If any one search more e-book i seggust their visit here and collect more
carbon

December 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM

 
Blogger sabina moon said...

Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
carbon wheels

January 2, 2014 at 6:26 AM

 
Blogger vabna islam said...

This blog site is pretty good! How was it made . I view something genuinely interesting about your site so I saved to my bookmarks . You can visit my site.
Triathlon basics books

March 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home