Aloha!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Wrap up Ironman Melbourne...



Totally busted as the 10 year old girl that still dreams up really big dreams, seeing absolutely nothing in her reality as a limitation.  Even after my 140.6 mile, (wait they cut the swim short), 139.4 mile suffer fest to the finish line of Ironman Melbourne on Sunday, I would never change that about me…

But it's sometimes a hard way to live.

The thing is, when you dream and believe big, one of 2 things always result, a "major accomplishment" or a "major heartbreak", because you don't just give a little, you give it all.  Life for me would not be lived very happily if I always played it safe, never risking heartbreaks, but they hurt so, so, so badly.  Despite many warning labels, many signs, many opinions from the peanut gallery, I put myself on the start line of an Ironman with 4 weeks of training.  As the saying goes, "what you put in, you get out".  I got a very long day and 100 Kona points after all that.  I was imagining it so differently...

It looked like this in my head and heart:  Race Ironman Melbourne, make top 10, come home with at least 1600 Kona points, race Hawaii 70.3 and Philippines 70.3, then be all set for October.  So I did what any girl who throws it all on the line when she believes in the beauty of a dream:  I cashed out my bank for a flight to Australia, convinced myself to race like a warrior-it would pay off, then come home and teach to make money to afford the rest of the season.

The race actually went like this:  Oh my gosh this is horrible, humbling, and horrible.

4 weeks of swimming, 2 long rides, 9 shorter rides, and 11 runs (13.1 miles being the longest), in 4 weeks was what I put in and 21st place is what I got out.  But I didn't quit.  And I still won't quit.  And the bright side is my broken foot is 100% healed and was just fine out there.



All race long I kept telling myself, "It's a really good thing you LOVE swimbikerun so much, because you'll be out here all day".  Spending more time on the course than usual landed me a lot of new friendships, the ability to run and eat chocolate chip cookies at the same time, meet a kangaroo, take gummies from a giant gingerbread man, hit some very dark, dark places.  I have not hit dark spots in triathlon in years like the ones I hit Sunday.  The ones that tell you to quit, stop, call it because I'm totally embarrassing myself. It was so horrible. But... I felt so loved.  So many great people out there cheering me on, and those that invested in me too.  Kainoa wanting a medal, Mike never letting me leave anything I begin unfinished, and knowing I'd have to look in the mirror...

My flatmates were waiting on me too!  Seriously, Meg (above), Luke, and Ben were the best possible people to get stuck with if a race had to go as sour as it went.  I can't even thank them enough for having me in their home as family. While I'm on my mahalos:  Coach Jimmy, Swift Bikes, Zoot Sports, Splish, Odin Chiro, Bike Works, Rolf Prima, One Twelve Media, and Breakthrough Nutrition...THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for being part of my triathlon dreams.  Part of this huge leap back on a start line so soon after a broken bone is due to your belief in me, love you guys!

Oh, just in case you didn't get to see my new race outfit, (I was out there all day so you should have had plenty of time), there it is!  I LOVE it!  One of the best parts is that is says, "Kona 30" on it.  That's my giant reminder when I;m out there that I want in the world champs this season! So...back to the drawing board.  AND while peanut galleries are always so much fun and I appreciate the look outs, I really have to step back and be smarter about getting back on a start line, and train first!  That said, I better do all the local shorter races and have my training partners kick me into shape before I toe the line with the big girls!  BUT, to those girls in Melbourne on Sunday, what a blast, thank you for the immediate motivational kick I needed and the humble pie you delivered...


...and that was Ironman Melbourne.  
Bree




15 Comments:

Blogger Nataliia Kravchuk said...

You are awesome!
No matter what you are so positive!
Always very inspirational to read your thoughts.
Aloha!

March 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Your last post is titled "Enjoy"..
3 old men at a Denny's outside Tempe AZ at 5am one early May morning once told me (at my first IM)... "Don't forget to enjoy and embrace the day" It is a special thing we get to do compared to most of the world, and I try and remember those special words through all my personal ups and downs..
Cheers!

March 26, 2013 at 1:26 AM

 
Blogger Jen Small said...

...and no matter what place you come in, you will always be a rockstar in my eyes. You keep it real and you let your heart dream big. Keep dreaming, keep going and keep smiling.

Lots of love to you Bree!!

March 26, 2013 at 2:09 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

You have the most beautiful outlook. What a day to be proud of congrats on sticking it out for so many reasons. A total inspiration. Xoxox

March 26, 2013 at 2:11 AM

 
Blogger kb said...

Still one of my favorites Bree Wee!! You have perspective, keep things real and most importantly have fun!!

Can't wait to cheer you on in Kona come October!!

xo-kerri

March 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

And that's the way to look at it! that race just made you more determined to achieve what you set out to do this year.

Better to dream big than not have anything to wish for. you also know it's possible...you're an Ironman champion remember ? :-)
hugs

March 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

Way to finish! You didn't quit.

Better to dream big, then not to dream at all.

Ironman.

March 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

 
Blogger Chrissy Steigerwald said...

"Do not judge me on my performance, because I'm not where I want to be yet. BUT, I'm closer than I was yesterday." Keep working Bree. Cheering for you!

March 28, 2013 at 4:56 AM

 
Blogger Julianne Kanzaki said...

Bree, you have inspired me more than you will ever know. I read this article again today and the author's resilience and attitude resonated with me, and reminded me of someone...YOU. May you find encouragement in her words, knowing that you are living out this example every.single.day. There is no such thing as failure. You were standing on that podium in the eyes and hearts of many. http://w.espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/8054649/

Love,
Julianne

March 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

 
Blogger ascencion rana said...

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you really recognize what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally consult with my web site =). We could have a hyperlink exchange agreement among us.

Compression socks

April 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

 
Blogger zahid ahmed said...

Many of the Online Jobs and Online Earning System in internet online Business, but here is a best and legit online earning systems with life time opportunity.
www.jobzcorner.com

April 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

 
Blogger Anwar Fazil said...

good seaside pics


love it

April 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM

 
Blogger Anwar Fazil said...

Free Social Media Marketing where Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
GetLikeFast.com

April 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM

 
Blogger lyonsinfoway said...

Thanks for this, I really appreciate what you have done here. Keep it up, and I will be back for more.

Website development Melbourne

May 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM

 
Blogger sabina moon said...

Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
carbon wheels

December 22, 2013 at 6:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home