Aloha!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Dear Love...


Dear Love, you have found me...

Saturday something really, really, really special happened.  It all started when Kainoa was a baby in my belly.  I'd sit for hours telling him all about the ocean, rubbing my belly, and day dreaming about the day we would be a family that shares surf together.  My passion for the ocean is pretty unreal, it's not even something that can be put into words, I just knew as a pregnant girl that one day I wanted to share ocean moments with those I love most in the world and hopefully Kainoa would find passion in the waves...

For the past year or 2 we have tandem surfed, pushed him into waves, and paddled him around.  On Saturday it all changed.  He came up to me, looked me in the eyes with a wide smile, and said, "Mom I want to go surf but without your help, all by myself."  I sat on the beach watching him grab my board, hook his leash on, paddle out, paddle for a wave, miss it, try again, catch it, stand up, smile, fall off, and paddle out to do it again...and again.  It was incredible to see him find passion in something so simple yet so powerful, like the ocean.


Yesterday was another really special day.  We made the trip to Hilo as Mike has landed himself in the recruits for the fire department.  Oh, talk about a very proud girlfriend.  He stands by all that I do and dream about, it felt nice to be a small part of something new and exciting in his life.  Of course it takes a lot longer to get to Hilo when I'm part of the drive, 3 pit stops later...

I've told him I plan to ride my bike from Kona to Hilo one day for a visit, that plan is in place as I type!  Road trip on 2 wheels, heck yes!


While Mike was in his orientation I of course did what any beach girl would do on the other side of an island, make Hilo friends.  The beach looked inviting but something caught my attention even more.  A gazebo with 7 homeless guys under it, all talking and smiling.  It has always, always drawn me close to those that are able to smile and be happy in what appears to be adversity.  It's like finding a lesson or learning the secret to enjoying life every time I land amongst such people.  At first I just hid my face in my journal, scribbling away every observation made in the middle of these men.  I couldn't help smiling.  To be humbled is to be blessed if you ask me.  After an hour I had a marriage proposal, 7 new friends, and a tangerine.  They didn't ask me for money or food, just appreciated the company of a girl that appeared to have her life in good working order taking time for them.  Once again, love found me...

...and I found more love.  Kona had it's ever scorching, Ali'i Drive 10 mile road race.  Throwing myself into all the local races as training days is going really well for my build up into Hawaii 70.3.  Oh I'll be honest, it hurts taking no rest into these smashing feats, but it is so good pep talking my head to be as brave as my heart as I run and chase down my goals.  10 miles later I was 4 minutes slower than my 1:01 PR on that course. Coach told me it's all good and be so happy about how much my foot has healed and my legs are coming back to life. Damn, I wanted faster though, but I did indeed love a start line and a finish line with some fight in between...

 Kainoa ran the kids mile, Mike ran the 3.5 mile & the kids mile!  Secretly I hope one day we run something long together, like a half marathon, at the moment I'm just happy both the boys like running at all...

 ...and friends at the finish line continue to make racing even better.


Okay, that's it from me.  I swam and road really hard this morning, forced myself to do a blog as it is the only way to make myself sit still.  Going to take a little run soon and call it a good day on the way to race day!  I'm going to leave you with a final picture I took of the TV.  We watched a really good documentary this weekend called, "Happiness".  It was pretty awesome and continued to inspire me.  This man in the film was showing his home (see above), within those walls it was filled with love and impressed me again how it really doesn't take much to see beautiful...

Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

Nice. Great Blog.

April 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM

 
Blogger Bre said...

i love this- your perspectives on life and living always bring a smile to my face. I love that last line- "it really doesn't take much to see beautiful"

April 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

I remember when you told me that you really hoped that Kainoa would fall in love with running or something in the water like surfing or swimming without you having to push him. You just wanted him to enjoy the things that have brought you joy, and well my friend, I'm glad to see it things come together!

April 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I'm finally catching up on all your posts ;-)
Your baby dolphin AKA Kainoa is starting to swim away Bree but he's always remember his Mum.
How far is Kona to Hilo on a bike? Can I come? I need to top up my south African tan :-) I had a great time out there, thanks for all your advice by the way!

April 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Your post reminds me that you may like the book I'm reading at the moment:
A Survival guide for life written by Bear Grylls who's an ex soldier with the SAS (like US Navy Seals) and.... who's a hottie (had to say it, sorry)
He's also the main Scouts embassador here in the UK and the book is full of inspirational quotes


http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Survival-Guide-Life-ebook/dp/B009T2UGZY/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1367138096&sr=8-1

April 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home