Aloha!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Focus Some More...


Booked! Last night, way past my bedtime, the flight to Idaho was booked.  I believe shifting focus from one goal to the next really helps keep momentum of bigger goals moving forward.  And, it helps to heal up the little battle scars (if any) from goals that went a little differently than hoped for.

And so...
Warm weather racing will now be thoughts of freezing with penguins.  It's so hot in Hawaii today that I smell like a sauna. It's gross.  But I will imagine coldness, arm warmers, booties, and long clothes that cover more of your body than anything anyone on an island owns.

To imagine Idaho hills, lakes, and big trees I flipped through my 2010 Ironman CDA photos, I only found the wetsuit picture in green water.  In a lake.  That was a pleasant reminder of the fact I hold a DNF on that course, to have so few photos is rare in my world.  It's alright, I'll finish this year and have plenty of pictures.  Tomorrow coach is sending me out on a 2.4 mile swim in a wetsuit, here in Hawaii.  I'm partially embarrassed to be seen in that thing over here and partially scared that I might have a heat stroke.  I'll let you know how it goes.  If I chicken out wearing it into our warm Pacific I'll just fill the bathtub with ice and wear it in the tub. 



While shifting focus from one race to the next, I have to take a couple memories Leahi snapped with me.  Good times out there. Good reminders that hard work pays off and a really good reminder of how happy I am to race at home.  I know that when it gets tough (and cold) over in Idaho these memories will serve as reminders to keep strong and keep at it, to grab some Kona points to be able to do it all over again in October.


Recovery week is filled with sushi. Green tea. Macnut cracking. Mochi. And surf...



This morning, after my little bike ride, the surf board and me paddled out into the big blue and spent time amongst the surf lovers of Kona.  It's really pretty, really blue, and really big right now.  Some waves swept over me, others carried me, and a few burried me.  I'm pretty sure I needed that...


It's back to training now though, swim practice just called me and I have to answer...
Have a good day,
Bree



2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Flynn said...

Bree, I am a big fan of your blog and your outlook and life values. I was sorry to hear about the race hiccup, but is only a small speed bump on your quest for awesome. Keep kicking ass and being awesome and you are an inspiration to me in my path back to IM and 70.3.

June 6, 2013 at 2:42 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

And that’s the way to do it, keep moving onto the next step to achieve your goals.
Because the cold is a foreign land to you and that’s where I live…in a cold land, let me share some tips on how to deal with it. Hopefully this will help to lessen the shock.
With swimming the head suffers the most so if you’re happy to wear a neoprene cap below your race cap, do it, especially in water at or below 57 F. I’ve never worn one but I always race with 2 caps anywhere in the world (hot or cold).
With the bike, the hands and feet suffer the most, as you’re wet form the swim and it’s early in the morning, air temperature is still quite cool, it’s worth wearing socks (I have a trick on how to fold them so they’re easy to slip onto wet feet and will post it on facebook this weekend) and arm warmers and even full fingered gloves (temps of 57F and below). The extra seconds in T1 putting these on are worth it for the comfort you’ll gain on the bike, you’ll be able to concentrate on going faster instead of feeling like someone has broken your feet and fingers. Arm warmers and gloves are easy to ditch at an aid station as the day starts to warm up.
During the run, the cold weather will help you to run faster because dehydration is less of a problem and your body doesn’t have to work so hard at regulating the core temperature. If it’s cool at this point in the race this is your opportunity for a PB on the run Bree. Good luck for IM CDA

June 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home