Aloha!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Swim Optional...


The 10 day window is upon us!  It's within those 10 days before a race I roll a little easier into "pre race mode".  Of course all the day in and day out of training, sleeping, and eating leading up count too, maybe most of all.  But I have found it silly for me to really put too much focus or stress on the minor details too soon before the 10 day window, because I belly flop.  Months before a race I'll do all the work and more.  I'll eat really good and more.  I'll sleep good and more.  But then again, more of everything else happens.  I'll miss a workout to get Kainoa from school, I'll bake a birthday cake for a friend and eat some, and then I stay up too late at family movie night.  Of c.ourse you can relate, that's life..

And so, the 10 day window is here. My beach time, up late time, and cake eating time is out the window.  Sadly, that means those super training adventures are too.  Friday was my Kona to Hilo ride, the one I have fallen in love with because it lands at Mikes truck, where he will drive me back home with him and be okay with my stinky self sitting next to him gushing about all the fun on 2-wheels that happened. 


I pretended it was my Ironman CDA bike route with all those big trees and deer.  Except with other trees and llamas.   However, our sunshine did hide and a rain storm tackled me for a good hour-freezing.  Now I can say I have officially trained in the cold, ready.

My ride ended up being the longest time I have ever, ever, ever spent with my bike.  Thanks to my ever so adventurous heart for exploration, it was pretty much all day long. The best part was going down a hill, turning up it in the big ring, and falling over.  You can picture feet clipped in the pedals and slow motion side flop with the bike on top of me and the feet still hooked in, of course.  I managed to laugh it off and tell the men wanting to help (while laughing) that "it happens all the time, don't worry, I'm okay".  Oh it was embarrassing...

 I love that ride, it is now my new favorite in all the world...

 ...and driving back to Kona with Mike, delirious, makes it like a finish line to some adventure race I just won.  Back to Ironman CDA, I'm ready.  I'm excited.  I'm happy too.  Most everything is packed and today I found out that I'll be racer #37.  In the Kona points I'm sitting #50-yikes.  The goal is to take all the hard work, use it on race day, and grab as many points as I can.  Seriously, sounds funny to be a point chaser, but that's my job holding a goal to make it into the big dance this October...


The final Hawaiian Summer days leading up to the 10-day window have included a jump or 3 off the cliffs.  That was fun, now it's done.  It has included girl time on bikes, talking about boys.  A few movies on Netflix that went past my bedtime.  Some beach with family/friends under our gorgeous sky, and you know...baking.  Now I can officially sit on my bum and just think about 140.6 miles...


 As for the optional swim, coach gave that to me for tomorrow.  After so many races under his guidance I have finally matured enough to understand them.  At first, it seemed like a must. Always. Of course do what it says to do no matter how worn out I feel. Its the ocean after all.  Now that I have learned to make training sessions really count, when a day off happens, sometimes it's money in the bank to make them count by taking the day off.  What a luxury it is to be in the 10-day window and see the beauty of an optional swim...

Bree



6 Comments:

Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

Great Post!

June 13, 2013 at 6:42 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Good stuff...
You reminded me I better get in the water and swim... it's 2.4 miles, right? I have done 1.5, is that good enough?

June 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM

 
Blogger David Jewell said...

Love this. Next time I'm there I'm riding to Hilo. Well ok not the next time since it will be October. But the next time when it isn't Ironman Week. Kill it next week Bree.

June 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Nearly there, the work is done Bree

June 14, 2013 at 2:37 AM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Aloha Breezy!!
Will be cheering for you during Couer d' aline race!
Go hard and smart!!
Cheers my friend!

June 14, 2013 at 5:38 AM

 
Blogger Kathy said...

great job Bree! Our bay doesn't get many turtles but for the first time the other day I spotted a juvenille and immediately thought HONU (instead of tortuga). We're deep into nesting here so if I'm stealthy I might see a mama. But now you've spoiled me and they're honu now, not tortuga. :) Will be cheering you on from the hot and humid and sending warm thoughts northward.

June 14, 2013 at 6:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home