Aloha!

Monday, July 15, 2013

Some Love Notes...


...And training is in full swing.

As of yesterday, 3 weeks and 5 weeks till the next two races on my "Ironman Hawaii Journey".  I have a motivating training plan in my little hand, notes all over the house from near and far, and of course an IPOD full of Summer jams to keep the pedals pushed, shoes laced, and goggles on.  It's pretty sweet having Summer motivation.  Today and tomorrow are my "triathlon" days.  Perhaps a little more running off the bike will bring the run results I get without a bike into place on race day, worth a shot and so far I am loving more brick work...

2 races happened over the weekend and my KPR placing did not move, phew.  Holding on tight folks, holding on.  It really feels like a gamble running all over the world, watching races and results, and plugging away everyday towards a goal.  At the same time, it's not such a gamble if you are smart, hold focus always, and plan-then execute the plan.  Sometimes it works out and other times not. Mike is trying to get me to just focus on myself these next couple weeks and not be held hostage to checking in on the KPR movement every weekend.  Maybe he is right.  It's not like staring at a computer will change the results or anything.  All I can do is set the intentions for every workout, go make them happen, keep going forward. It's just so close, I'm so close.  And I am so far from giving up.






With Summer in full swing, there has been plenty of  "field trips" for Kainoa being out of school, my older sister and nephews are in town, and it has been a blessing in disguise to save me from fully speeding into these next two races like a chicken with my head cut off.  A little more balance, a lot more stopping to smell flowers, it is working like a charm...

Of course I am also learning that sometimes on the journey to a dream we have to "pass up good, for great".  The family has been all over the island, at the volcano, under the ocean with fish, and exploring like they discovered lost treasures!  AS much as I want to be the tour guide and take them jumping off every cliff, hiking down every mountain, and rushing into sea caves, I have to say, "no", sometimes.  Then I sit on my butt. Or eat.  Or ride my bike more.  Or swim.  Or even run, again. It's a fine line we walk when our bodies are our greatest tool in that job we do...


Yesterday, after an ice bath (I'd rather have 1,000 seagulls poop on my head than endure those freezing things), that came after an 18 mile run, was another run-underwater.  Or more of a mission!  Sometimes we get lucky and land people in our lives that challenge us to be better, in everything.  Mike has been that for me beyond words this past weekend.  He is knee, or maybe waist deep, in his fireman PT program and has this brick challenge he has to pass to pass the class.   So he spends the weekend watching these motivating documentaries, doing all this work to pass the brick portion of the class, meanwhile making me get up-get out-and get going.  Anyways, like any good family would do, we share dreams.  That landed us at the pool with him.  He has to tread water for 45 minutes and hold a brick above water for 2 minutes during that 45 minutes.  Then swim these bricks (you know, practice like swimming bodies to shore), and run them underwater.  He also has a 6 mile swim in the ocean, a helicopter to jump out of over the Pacific-then swim to shore, and some other swimmy things that are so exciting to me, so fun to watch, and cool to see him tackle.  I'm his biggest fan :)

Well, one thing he did was run this brick underwater for 50 yards, no breath.  The treading water I can do all day, I even held the brick above water for 2 minutes, but the underwater run thing was kicking my okole!  It took me so many tries to his "one try".  I can hold my breath and I can run, instantly the challenge seemed easy.  Stubborn as could be, there was no way we were leaving the pool till I made it.  Plenty of tries later, we finally got to leave the pool, hungry, and happy...

Running rocks in the ocean has always been fun, but running bricks in the pool takes on a new level of "If you want it you might lose your breath to get it". 
 This is a love note too...


...and this.  
...This too.  I came home after today's swim, bike, run "triathlon day" and Breakthrough Nutrition was sitting on the door step, in a box, with a love note, to keep going...

Here's to another week on the way to chasing down a dream...
Keep going,

Bree



5 Comments:

OpenID bre said...

I hope you realize how inspiring and amazing you are. thank you for always sharing your journey with us, i always find so much joy and hope in your posts :)

July 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Bree, Mike is becoming an action man! Are you sure he's not training for a secret mission? :-) only kidding. Wishing him all the luck in his tests.
It sounds like the sun, the moon and the stars are all aligning to help you reach your goals :-)
PS: London is warmer than Hawaii at the moment

July 16, 2013 at 2:46 AM

 
Blogger run4daysbill said...

Quick note to say thanks for posting your thoughts. Very motivating stuff, Bree. And best of luck and you continue chasing!

Bill

July 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

 
Blogger Chrissy Steigerwald said...

Thanks for sharing - love your pictures and your journey! Cheering for you - you got this!

July 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM

 
Blogger Pusterla Josianne said...

Bree! I'm so happy that you chose IM Tremblant. Know that it is a challenging course. Lots of hills. Both on the bike and the run course. Take good care!

July 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home