Aloha!

Monday, July 29, 2013

This Journey...


I've been trying to slow down a little, not on the training front, just the vrooming through life's adventures, the hustle and bustle of getting here and there really fast, while tackling this and that at record setting pace.  That lead to a walk with the family through Kaloko, the non-beachy part of the island.  And there I discovered the truth behind that little gem, "It's not about the destination but the journey".  Truth be told, since childhood I have been on a mission.  I want to learn to ride a bike without training wheels, I want to get to 5th grade, I want to be in middle school, I want to graduate high school, I want to hurry and get through college and move, I want to get married, I want children, I want into Ironman Hawaii...pause. 

Dreams and goals definitely give a lot of motivation to life, often times keeping us reaching rather than settling, but every now and then our eyes are so fixated on the outcome that the process (or journey) is barely even tasted.  With 3 races this weekend, changing the KPR points for pros to qualify for Kona, my eyes remained more focused on this journey than ever...


Little things, like walks with Kainoa, family movie night all snuggled on the couch, sunset from the quiet of our lanai, making pretty dinners, enjoying my training partners company. To bigger things, unexpected things that made me thankful my eyes are in the right place.  Things like the boys leaving me food in the truck after my bike ride, to Mike making Sunday family breakfast, and a cooler of ice waiting on the door step after my long run.  To the best things that happen every weekend no matter how many dreams we are chasing at once, like family surf Sunday and Costco trip to eat all the samples...


 


And the moments that remind you that you are never alone on your journeys, so no need to rush through them.  Kainoa has fallen in love with "love notes" and seems to appreciate them more than the time it takes to jot them down quick before I rush off to swim practice.  Perhaps family really is the best group of cheerleaders, the most amazing guides and coaches, and ultimately the best prize...


Speaking of prizes,
With a quick hop, skip, and jump over to Philippines this week, followed up by a mini trip back home to the island long enough to wash laundry and repack before zooming to Canada, this week has been especially concentrated on fuel, the good kind.  Blue and green kind.  Our kitchen has been pumping out smoothie bowls and juiced garden like it's a fast food joint!  And I love it!  I feel so good with this training volume when I eat better. Well, I still sneak in musubi...



Another special part of this journey has been having my family here for Summer.  They have been really cool about supporting the training habits (er, work), and understanding my need to chill out a little more than usual with the horizon of racing staring at me.  Not to mention, some awesome Kainoa sitters and cousin time being very handy!   Alright, now the part of today's journal that I am really excited to talk about...


Jumping for joy with this bit of news to share...

My flight to Ironman Mount Tremblant has been booked!  AS of last night nearly all I need for both Philippines 70.3 and the Ironman in Canada has happened for me, for us! I'm sitting 44 right now, it's still an okay spot according to the KPR Math smarty pants people.  I know how sport goes, sometimes its out of our grip no matter how awesome training has been going!  So I'm just staying patient, hopeful, and ENJOYING THE JOURNEY.   13 races to go, I'm in two of them.  The first race will have little movement, that's why we decided to train right through it, the second race will play a major roll in the qualifying for Ironman Hawaii...

Anyways, let me share quick what happened in the last 2 weeks.  Support began to land in my mail box, I was thankful as it was enough to cover flying my bike to and from Philippines.  Then more mail, now enough to fly my bike to and from Philippines and to and from Canada!  Then little things, like money for a massage, for "Victory dinner meal", I thought that was really cute, and for "airport food", And then...more.  Last night, sitting to do the Math, support was enough to fly me to Canada and back!  I'm so blessed right now, I'm really humbled, and really feel as if this journey is so far from being my own, but truly shared.  Our little family has really pulled together for this, maxing out our Hawaiian miles, taking a break from going to the movies and out to dinner, and of course saving with the garden.  I am so thankful for them, for truly showing me the value of a family.  And to those that have given to me, pretty sure words will lack meaning to show my appreciation, rest assured you will be along with me on the next few races, knowing full well you helped make it possible!   THANK YOU... you know who you are!


Alright, that's about it over here.  It is now raining with Flossie on her way to the island.  We managed swim practice out there since the island shut down all the pools (the beaches too actually, our swim just went anyways).  As for today's ride, it was insane.  Fighting head winds strong enough that if I ever hear anyone complain about Kona winds you can bet I will be giggling inside.  In fact, just shy of an hour out, turned back towards town, and made it in 20 minutes!  That is what the wind was, a fight followed by a flight!  Have a good week...

Bree



5 Comments:

OpenID sneaksandstilettos said...

Slowing down is often necessary. I'm really guilty of getting too caught up in future goals that I forget to enjoy the present. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy today! Also, crazy that you can buy Organic Valley milk in Hawaii. This company's original organic farms are basically in my backyard. I had no idea it was this widely available.

July 30, 2013 at 5:14 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

WE could all do with slowing down a bit once in a while. Here's a poem from a brit to remind us of just that:

What is this life if full of care

We have no time to stand and stare?

No time to stand beneath the boughs

And stare as long as sheep, or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,

Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,

Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,

And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can

Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.



William Henry Davies 1871 - 1940

July 30, 2013 at 5:49 AM

 
Blogger miles99999 said...

Best of luck in your next two races, we are all rooting for you to be able to race close to your home this October!

July 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM

 
Blogger Kailin Acheson said...

GOOOO Bree! Have some fun this weekend and you will do great :-)

And seriously, what is that blueberry mix? It looks amazing!

July 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Such a beautiful family! Love hearing about all of your support too, from family and mail... that's so cool and inspiring. :)

August 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home