Aloha!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Get Your Pennies, Baby!!


One thing I am very, very passionate about is of course sport, or I'd be over it with all the tidal waves it seems I get caught up in.  I'll cut to the chase, today I took the Vegas 70.3 slot, a roll down.  It may have rolled waaaaaaaay down because I only had three 70.3's to score, that left plenty of room for girls that had 5 scoring races...anyways, I'm going to Vegas!

At first, no way did I want to.  In fact, every season of my professional career I have rolled down the Vegas slot.  It never really entertained me (not very professional of me).  Maybe because I already know it's the best of the fast girls and perhaps I just felt it was a waist of money I didn't have, to go all the way there and come home penniless.  Well, baby, that was a bad attitude.  Truth is, this is my job (and I like it) so I better do it.  And...the best lessons come often times from the races we don't win, the races we are most challenged, the races where we have to be better than we believe we are.  So it looks like I am heading to Vegas as the last ranked girl and I am SO EXCITED ABOUT IT!

No pressure.  Nothing to lose.  Lots of experience to gain, I can handle that.  My plan is to continue sitting on my butt the rest of this week, seriously cooked from the last couple weeks of race and travel.  Monday I'll start my Vegas training, shoots, I just did an Ironman I am pretty sure I got all the miles I need.  And then fly to Vegas and call my flight, "taper".  I'll just try and toss in a little speed work and call myself READY to GAMBLE! I am really, really, really excited.  In fact, maybe the most excited I have been all year!  My heels and hot dress will be packed for the streets, I have never been to Vegas and just have to see what it's all about!  Clearly I will look lost & confused, but it will be incredible.

One more thing, a large part of my choice to take the slot and give another race a crack, is all the support from all over, complete strangers and friends have been beyond encouraging through this blog.  It is really overwhelming how sport has such a way of bringing people together and building them up, thank you, thank you, thank you!!  See you all in Vegas, until then I'll keep you posted on the sitting on my butt, a week of work, then taper on the flight :)

Aloha,
Bre



13 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

That's the right attitude Bree, and I think the winner in Las Vegas gets invited to Kona so there is a glimer of hope. I've never been to LV either so it will be interesting to read your report.

August 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

 
Blogger ltlindian said...

Oh yay! One more race to watch you do your thing! Great decision! LV is crazy, loud, bright and WAY over the top. I liked it ok, but not my kinda place. In my hotel, the venetian, it took me 15 minutes of walking and $3 to get a Mt. Dew! Have a great time and kick butt!!

August 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM

 
Blogger mark provenzano said...

Love your attitude Bree! Best of luck in Vegas!

August 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM

 
Blogger miles99999 said...

Awesome news Bree, glad you will be participating in a World Championship race. FYI, some folks on Slowtwitch are saying that you are on the list to race Louisville...I am assuming that you are not going to be heading back to the mainlaind again.

Get some rest, then train a bit, then kick ass in Vegas!!!

August 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

Woohoo - look out VEGAS! So AWESOME Bree!

August 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Good choice for other reasons too...
Congratulations

August 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM

 
Blogger Sherman Lee Criner said...

Bree I love your spirit, your charismatic personality, beaming smile & time you take to speak/encourage us age groupers & that makes you a world class human being! When its hard, just remember you have so many people pulling for you, smile & rock it!

August 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM

 
Blogger Kurt Walker said...

I'm a long-time fan, and being in Utah Vegas is doable for us - so because you're coming I'll be there either volunteering or spectating. You're one of the inspirations that got me into Triathlon in the first place - so I'm so proud of your determination and your ability to find the positives and the beauty everywhere and in everything. It will be great to cheer you in person rather than through the web site or the irontrac app. :)

August 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

 
Blogger Adrian said...

Great stuff, great opportunity to grab those Kona points for 2014!! Never too early to start!

August 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM

 
Blogger TriDocMD said...

I saw Bree at IMMT. It's too bad about the late finish.... but she was always pushing, never gave up. But I'm a big believer in karma. Meredith Kessler might be out for Kona......Bree in?

August 24, 2013 at 2:08 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Wow! Congratulations, Bree! I just know you'll do great!

August 26, 2013 at 5:33 AM

 
Blogger Kailin Acheson said...

Go get it, Bree! Being ranked last can be a blessing. Like you said, there's no pressure, and anything you do will be better than anyone else could have imagined :-)

You will do awesome...you're a winner regardless of this race's rankings!

(I was ranked last in my most recent pro bike race [I am not a pro] and decided a finish would be a win...then I beat 10 girls!)

August 28, 2013 at 6:03 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Yeah Bree!! Congrats, so excited for you! Happy recovering and quick return, then kick some Vegas booty!! :)

August 28, 2013 at 6:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home