Aloha!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ironman Mont Tremblant Race Reflection...


Alright, here we go, the race report I was not expecting to write.  Hmmmm.  Gonna just be brutally honest, ugh, I am sad.  I think it's okay to be sad, just not for too long.  This year was just so close, it began with the broken foot the first 3 months of the year,  but I was finding my rhythm again, up and running, and thought for sure with all the help I was getting in the way of travel that I was all set to race this October.   I'm sitting 10th of the last 7 pro women they will take into the big dance.  Unless some crazy, miraculous event happens that 3 girls decide Kona is not where they feel like dancing, I missed it.  Needed the top 10 in Mont Tremblant and landed 11.

Believe me I tried very hard, I just underperformed.  As with any and all Ironmans, a few moments of sour luck can make or break the day when the competition is really good, and it was great competition Sunday.  The swim began really well, a wetsuit is a great equalizer and I was in the pack behind Haley with just a couple girls, then my right arm filled up with water, eventually the entire wetsuit filled like a parachute.  The zipper broke, trying to fix it underwater I was ran over by the chase pack, and left to pull myself to my career slowest iron distance swim.  My attitude was still really good, I have taken many lessons from Kainoa, "nothing is ever too broken to fix mom".  So I kept plugging away with the parachute, knowing the race was not entirely broken. 

The bike, let's just say it was a long day for me.  I fought tooth and nail for my strength and just didn't have it.  Not sure if I trained too much, too little, or I just gave 100% to everything in my life, such as family, sport, friends, that I showed up on the start line mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted.  Perhaps I am not super woman after all...

The highlight of the day for me was the run.  It is by far the greatest lesson of the race.  Usually once you have a bad day at the Ironman, knowing you land out of the points or out of the money, it is so humbling to keep running.  Because now you are running for the sheer love of the sport.    Siri was out there, she told me to just have fun...so I did.  I love running so much that I can still appreciate it even when it's slower than I need to be.  The finish line was gorgeous, everything about Ironman Mont Tremblant was so beautiful.  Amazing people, great course, and I landed a very good homestay family to take care of me and welcome me into their home...

I am home now and loving it.  When I walked in the door the huge pain in my heart sort of fell to the ground.  It is moments like this that I am beyond words thankful that I never sacrifice the things I love most in the world for my career, like my family. They really are my world, coming home to messy kitchens, bed time stories, driving back and forth to school today, packing lunches, Mikes love notes, mean more to me than any finish line result ever will.  Of course, I wanted in Kona this October.  But I am better along now than I have ever been and I already know with a little focus on a game plan for 2014 and not trying so hard to be Super Woman at all things life, love, and sport, I will eventually land in the big dance.  SO what's next?  I do not know at the moment.  Some teaching to make ends meet for a little bit while I recover, I want to kiss Mike more often, and I plan to run in pretty places all over the island.
I'm thinking in order to make a crack at 2014 I have to start the point collecting in November, so that will be my goal, a November Ironman.  I just need a fresh start, including this boring old website.  My homestay mom in Canada kept reminding me how out dated it was, so if anyone is in the mood to help and good at websites, let me know!  Between you and me, the most difficult part about this job is finding the support, so of course I am a tad bit nervous about that end of the job.  Not getting into Kona sort of closes a couple doors.  BUT.....I do have to say, the mail man knocked on my door as I was typing this and handed me SPLISH and ZOOT!  I am really, really thankful, it cheered me up, a little "pick me up" after getting knocked over in the form of bikini and run shoes!  They even match...
 
Thank you so much for all the great support, the cheers, the picking me up, the belief in me, and just helping me to always keep my eye on the bigger picture, like my family.  It is never easy to have something you really want in life not happen for you, but then again, maybe it does happen just not in the timing we want, so I never plan to give up, I just know it will not be easy...

And thank you so much to Mike, the boys, Wendy and my sisters, my parents, Coach Steve and the swim team, Odin the back cracker, Zoot and Splish again, Bike Works Kona, Breakthrough Nutrition, Swift Carbon, and Rolf... you make me just a little better everyday...

Love,
Bree




17 Comments:

Blogger Furacán said...

You are super woman after all ;-) you can fall but next you stand up like a champion, and never lose your smile, super woman!

August 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

 
Blogger ltlindian said...

I love that you are real. A real person with real feelings and real emotion. Successes and failures. Not that this was a failure, you do realize. What you did this year would have been a monumental success for the other 99% of Americans, including myself.

We will cheer for you once again come November. Be sure of that.

August 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

 
Blogger michael esposito said...

As an old age grouper I feel your pain, but on the flip side your the reason I love the sport, your dedication to your son always brings me back to my true roots. Thank you for inspiring me each and every day to be the best father, the best son, the best friend and most of all the ability to live life to its fullest.... ! Thank you there is no finish line that will ever stand in your way !
I hope to see you next year in Canada!

August 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Hold on a second.....
Are you trying to tell me our blog layouts are out of style?
Eh?

August 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

I failed to make Kona two years ago and I gave up on my dream, and well, it's been okay. I plan to try again when I'm 60. And here you are shooting for 2014. Me thinks the Pinoy Monster needs to come back out there and help you get ready. :)

August 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

 
Blogger Robert Lejeune said...

Sorry that you missed the top 10 Bree, I was out there on the run course with you and I tried to cheer you everytime that we met.

I hope that it helped a little bit at least ;)

I know that you'll be on that Kona start line someday, I am 100% sure of that :)

August 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM

 
Blogger Adrian said...

Still a champion and an inspiration!

August 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

 
Blogger Anne said...

But here's the thing, you have the best pro blog. The honestly and the love of sport make you a great ambassador for your sponsors. The dance will come, in whatever form you decide it to be. God bless.

August 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

 
Blogger David Jewell said...

Thanks for the inspiration Bree. I would love to run in one of those special places when I am there in October. See you soon.

August 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM

 
Blogger Tina Z said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 21, 2013 at 5:27 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree that your blog is the best triathlon (and swimming) ones out there. I love reading your posts, following your race career, and reflecting on how your ideas/thoughts apply to my own life. You also seem to know yourself really well, which is inspiring. There aren't many females in sport who are so open about the ups and downs of being an elite athlete, you should be lauded for that.

August 21, 2013 at 5:28 AM

 
Blogger run4daysbill said...

Keep on keeping on, Bree. This is just a bump in the road. You do such a fantastic job of sharing your heart and your wisdom with us that I feel sure great results are heading your way. Keep at it. Keep at it. Keep at it.

Bill

August 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

 
Blogger Christy Batterson said...

You are still a champion in my eyes both on the home front as well as the ironman front. Keep your eye on the dream. Yours will come true I just know it. Keep the faith girl!!!

August 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I think your blog is so cute, perhaps it could do with more functionality for mobiles but apart from that no need to change it. It already has the most important ingredient: an inspirational blogger - YOU.
I've already sent you a msg about the race and you already have LV on the horizon. Onwards & upwards :-)

August 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

 
Blogger swimfin said...

Bree,
Sorry things didn't work out for you this year. You are an inspiration and I love reading this blog. I'm old, so this blog doesn't seem outdated to me. I have loved following your journey this year. Come join me for the Waikiki Roughwater next week!

August 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

I have been reading your blog for a few years now and while I don't know you personally you seem to have come a long way over the past few years. I recall your experience at Cozumel in 2010 and from what I have read recently I don't think you would have the same reaction today. You seem to be able to move on from the bad experiences much better, with a much healthier outlook. Not every race will be perfect and some will downright not go your way at all, but it's all about how you deal with it. Come on back to Cozumel this year!

August 26, 2013 at 6:44 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

I love your blog, been following you for a many years after a fellow tri friend was. Your love of life, family & friends, and passion to never give up, is so real and inspirational. Thanks for pushing us along to chase our own dreams!

Just like in the song One Day by Matisyahu...
"Sometimes I lay under the moon
And thank God I'm breathin'
Then I pray don't take me soon
'Cause I am here for a reason

Sometimes in my tears I drown
But I never let it get me down
So when negativity surrounds
I know someday it'll all turn around

It's not about win or lose
'Cause we all lose when they feed
On the souls of the innocent, blood-drenched pavement
Keep on movin' though the waters stay ragin'

And in this maze you can lose your way
It might drive you crazy, but don't let it phase you, no way, no way

One day, one day, one day
One day, one day, one day"

This song always keeps me going! That one day is just ahead Bree... keep dreaming and catching that rainbow! And thanks for sharing your beautiful life and *inspiring* me! :)





August 28, 2013 at 6:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home