Aloha!

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Return to Beautiful Cebu...


What is usually a quick trip from Hawaii-10 hours, this 4th trip to Philippines turned out to be one of the longest trips ever...like 22 hours.  Trying my very best to keep upright and attitude in check, no details will be spilled.  Except one.  Finally in Manila, missed the connection due to another missed connection thanks to getting on an entirely different airline, I was told the next flight was 6am the following day...9 hours later (after 22 hours travel). Fighting tears, Luke Gilmer comes up to claim his seat, the last seat on the last flight of the night to Cebu.  AND he gives it to me.  His flights were all scuffed up all day too, but he had a kind man give him a rental car and hotel to stay the night in Manila, I had the airport floor (which I have done for 10 hours, twice).  Of course I felt bad taking his flight, he was racing too, against big dogs like Pete and Macca, but that's Luke.  There really are amazing people out there, like him.  He took the hotel in Manila and landed this morning in Cebu, I landed at Cebu hotel about Midnight and did not pass out, it was 6am back in Kona, I was ready to roll!  Forcing sleep as best as I could, excitement took over and I woke up early to take on Philippines...
 This was my swim...



The entire ocean floor is always crawling with beautiful blue starfish, my absolute favorite!  The little kids on the beach have never swam out deep enough to see them so I brought one to shore for them.  I loved how happy they were to see something so beautiful.  It of course made me think of Kainoa.  This was supposed to be our trip, our Summer Vacation together.  Last year it was my goal to bring him here, we began saving money all year, little at a time.  As the trip got closer there just was not enough for a flight.  It broke my heart, more than you can imagine I want him to experience Philippines.  It really is the best place on Earth after home. One day I just know my family and I will make this our Summer vacation, I mean my race, their vacation.  I can feel it...


The food is exactly like home.  Kimchi rice and eggs, easy!   My belly is seriously so stuffed.  Practicing self control is a challenge here, it's just so good and so much like home!  Massive bowls of fresh mango, papaya, and pineapple on oats, that's all me!  I feel so full right about now, fuel in the tank for Sunday...

In an hour is a group ride, the police will control traffic for us, phewwwww.  That is perhaps the only thing that scares me about the Philippines, the traffic is honestly like a carnival of bumper cars, except you get as close as possibly without hitting, and if you do just keep going.  Beeps and honks, driving on the side walk is okay too, and the million of scooters dodging between.  Can you tell I am from an island?  That is foreign to me.

Other than food and gorgeous views, being reunited with all the Filipino friends I have made over the past 3 years  takes away every drop of homesick.  This is after all, one of the only races in the world I don't cry for home.  Forever I will wish family was here with me, but I know that's not reality, to take your family to work with you every day...or big meeting...


 ...thank God for FaceTime!  Oh I am addicted.  You can talk and see each other, it helps, it works, and its free from iphone to iphone (glad I finally upgraded from that 1980's phone I had).  Anyways, I am here and I feel happy.  I am tired, but happy.  I have the bike ride, a pro meeting, and dinner.  Figured I would take this mini-break to check in with you all though, thanking you for the continued support and the encouragement.  It is always felt from near and far...


Oh, and you know mush ball is expected from me, without further delay, drum roll please...
Mike and me just made 2 years!  It's tomorrow for him, today for me 'cause the Philippines is over the date line.  I am loving this, it has truly been 2 of the best years of my life so far.  One day I told him I thought I had love all figured out, he laughed, boy was I wrong.  It is so much more than all the pretty shades of happy.  Greys and blues I have found, are beautiful too.  Talk about a blessed girl, to have the love of a man!  If you are a wife or girl friend, hug them tight tonight, appreciate them, and kiss them!  Life is better shared, as I have found out...Love you Masuda!!

One more piece of good news...
Anina, remember her from last year???  She was a young girl watching the race, we spoke, I of course encouraged her to do the race next year (er, told her she has too), and GUESS WHAT?!  She is racing Sunday.  You just never know what young girl or boy you are inspiring, the impact you might have on a life one day, so keep all those opportunities to give and share wide open...!

That's it for now, go kiss your lover for me, I am missing mine!
Cheers from the Philippines!

Bree



3 Comments:

Blogger marian said...

what a beautiful place to race in!! enjoy and go fast!

August 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Get some more sleep!
You will do great since this is your second home

August 2, 2013 at 3:00 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Beautiful! :) And how inspiring... Anina!! Awe, love it, way to go Bree.

August 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home