Aloha!

Friday, August 2, 2013

Run, Bike, Swim...


This morning, once again up way before the sunshine, I went out for a run.  Surprisingly the entire little town was wide awake too. Every woman had a broom in her hand, sweeping the streets.  Most every man had is hands full carrying a load of  something that I am still not sure of, just giant bags of something.  And every child was running around, smiling.  For having very few material possessions, most everyone appeared to have all they need, at least their faces showed that expression.  It is so humbling to me, running along such poverty, yet seeing more smiles than running through places made of gold.  There was a little girl playing on top of a giant hill of rubbish, she looked so amused, much like the way kids back home skip rocks into water, just amused over something simple. 

The part that convicted me dearly, were their clothes.  All the children had one or two outfits, they hand wash them daily, hang them to dry, and wear them again and again.  Each of them looked so clean and it would appear to anyone just passing through quickly, that these kids must be well off.  It made me feel really bad for the way I wash my laundry and leave it all day long in the dryer because I'm too lazy to put it away.  Or the times I just shove my clothes....under the bed.  I felt bad.  I felt inspired to care more. The Philippines always does that to me, makes me think I should care more about what I have, then just maybe I would focus even less on what I don't have.

The children all shouted, "Go iron woman, go".  It was so much fun, they are so excited about the race tomorrow, practicing cheers and celebrating the big event about to take over their town.  I made sure they all had some Zoot stickers for the big day, they were so thankful and must have said "Thank you iron woman" 100 times!  No exaggeration, 100 times or more over a little sicker.  I always run with money when I travel to a race, in chase I need a ride back, today it actually came in handy, we went to the little store and all the kids got snacks for breakfast.  It absolutely made my day...

You know what these beautiful little children had me thinking out there on my run?  That even though I could have a very realistic job, one that is easy to rely on a payday, like my teaching job, truth is I have an opportunity.  I was given an opportunity.  Tomorrow I get to do something I really, really love and make money that way.  Not a lot of money, but enough to pay some bills.  Could you imagine if some of these kids were told that tomorrow they get to line up and when the gun goes off, go as hard as they can, and if they land in one of the top positions they make money.  I bet you would hear no complaints about the shoes on their feet, if they had proper nutrition, if they had the right shorts on, or if they felt trained enough or not.  They would just go, I bet they would really like it too.  They would run without excuse and try to get to the finish as fast as they could.

I let that soak in for a while...

That run made me miss Kainoa more than I have ever missed Kainoa.  My heart was just lonely for him. I wanted his hug and to tell him I love him.  Tomorrow I will be using each one of those children, along with Kainoa, as my motivation to keep going and to enjoy my opportunity.  No excuses. 
After the run I tried to relax, it was pretty hard for me, my mind was all focused on home.  I rode yesterday with no plan to ride today, but I jumped on my bike. Since my giant goal is the Ironman in 2 weeks I figure it would be better anyways to not miss any ride time, truth be told I just wanted to go see more of Cebu, see if there were any more little lessons on life that I could learn from the people on the streets.  The Filipino boys took me out and about on the course, weaving between jeepny's and stray dogs.  It was so much fun, finally my head was focused on the race, on the task at hand.  They got me fired up and excited to go take part in one of the best races on Earth...


Oh, let me share last nights treat, the best pro panel EVER!  Apple from Black Eyed Peas has returned to his home country, to race!  He even sang 3 songs for us.  What a great inspiration, he has found a way to give back to his community here in the Philippines with the opportunity that provides for him, his singing.  I wish more pro meetings and pro panels were a celebration...


That's all the excitement of the day here in Cebu, just a little run, bike, and swim with plenty of good food between.  I am ready for bed, it's not even 6pm yet, but I think tucking in sounds perfect.  Night from Cebu!

Bree




9 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

so confused about the time :) but have a GREAT race, Bree. If I ever get the $, i'd love to race there some day. Will be watching and cheering you on.

August 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

Goooooo breezy. Have a fantastic day out there. Xoxox

August 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM

 
Blogger Kathy said...

felicidades! hiciste REbien!

August 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM

 
Blogger marian said...

bree, you did it!!! congratulations!!!

August 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

 
Blogger Michele said...

Woooo!!! I got up early this morning just to check on how you did. Congrats on your 2nd place finish! You deserve it.

August 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM

 
Blogger Craig said...

Congrats Bree on your 2nd place. A major accomplishment considering who showed up!
Congrats and enjoy!

August 4, 2013 at 4:12 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I want to go to the Philipines too! It looks lovely :-)
I also think we have far too much in the modern world and I sometimes don't realize just how lucky I am.
By now the race has been and gone and you got yourself a place on the podium, a great 2nd and in the money. Yeahhhh

August 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Love all your stories with all the different countries and the people/children... thanks for sharing a little bit of your beautiful life. Congrats again on placing, you rock!!

August 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Such a fun read and I loved all the pics of the cheerful children! Also, I LOVE your Zoot cycling jersey--I want one! :) Congrats on the Philippines race and good luck in Canada, I'll be cheering for you!

August 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home