Aloha!

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Back On The Horse...


It is very, very easy for me to relate anything in life, love, or sport to horses.  When I was 4 our horse was named Lucky Charms (my favorite kid cereal).  Horses are big, like dreams.  They can scare you, buck you off, and need a lot of attention.  Sound similar to your life, love, or sport?  When horses get running though, it's the most exhilarating feeling, freeing and safe.  It's actually more calm compared to the trotting that can feel bouncy.  Maybe that's why I love horses so much, the faster and bigger the less fear for me. Maybe since I was 4 life has always felt better to be up and running.  Forgive my rambles, getting to my point...

2013 season has not exactly ended, yet it is now officially the start of 2014 season for triathletes.  In other words, time to get back on the horse.  Or maybe keep running the horse... in any case I'm on the horse. This girl is officially training for another race before calling the season a wrap.

 

The thing that's different this time is that I have help.  Someone smarter than me is helping me to actually follow a plan.  It's very different than I'm used to, it has numbers involved and it means I wake up knowing what to do after these past few months of following my own route.  Friday was easy, just a swim and the dolphins tagged along. Today was where the change from "going with the flow" to "following a plan" actually caught up to me.  Woke up early for a short little ride on the hills.  After that I'd most likely have called it a day. But way later, just before dinner time, I went for a 30 minute chill run.  That's where I am hoping my body finds some much needed escape from this plateau it feels I've hit and maybe the hole I dig into or the lack of challenge I give myself.  In any case, change is good, I believe in it, and it feels like I'm back on the horse...

 It sort of feels like I took a 5 week break.  After Mont Tremblant I did nothing over 40 minutes or so going into Vegas, then I did nothing after Vegas other than the 57 minute Na Wahine Triathlon.  In a way I feel refreshed, in another way I feel lazy and today actually took mental strength to move later in the day rather than call it beach day, all day...

To do one more race this season that is a good place to feel.  Recovered, refreshed, and lazy.  Lazy is a good sign for a triathlete, it means you actually chilled out.  Of course my little sister has been helping me get going again.  Her yoga-ness, juicing with me, and making me pretty salads has been more than appreciated for my um, you know, laziness.  Don't get me wrong, I'm far from lazy, I get up everyday and play in the garden or teach and tackle life as a mom, but you know what I mean, the bike hung up and the run shoes sat footless...that lazy.


 Oh, I played at the beach a little too. As the training ramps up I know all too well this will be the first of my "favorite hobbies" to take a back seat.  Then again, this is my families favorite way to spend time together, so it's never too far away...


Well, that's pretty much it.  Back on a horse yesterday sent me into a full fledged joy that I was wanting to feel while getting back on the bike.  

Have a good weekend.
Bree



1 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Bree I've never ridden a horse but we have lots here :-) they poop all over the road when I ride behind them. Elegant animals, not sure I'd want to be on top of one though (fear of breaking bones)
Can't wait to hear about your 2014 race schedule.

September 22, 2013 at 4:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home