Aloha!

Friday, November 29, 2013

Aloha Friday in Mexico...


This was a little gem of words given to me before take off, "Keep calm and love life".  That and a million packs of gum, hair bands, and a book Masuda packed me were what held me together through 17 hours of travel to Cozumel.  Now I'm here & happy as ever.  Even thinking in Spanish.  Masuda used to get me a book before every flight when we first started dating, that was like 20 races ago, and 2+ years. Now I help him out & and pick out my own book (when I'm supposed to be getting kombuchas or something) because I can't expect him to keep up with this racing business and I never want my man striking out. But it's still his treat and still something so special to me...

Back to the book, it's "Unbreakable" the Jenni Rivera story. Seriously, it is a must read if you like true stories.  The book was super fitting as she is a Mexican girl and I was on the way to Mexico.  Her life was one thrilling ride to read, her perseverance became influential within the pages. Books totally captivate me, how we can take from ones story and let it become inspiration as we live out our story.  Anyways, if you have been following my story, you know very well that I have endured my own heart breaks in all things life, love, and sport.  I feel like I'm growing stronger for each of them every passing day though, finding more beauty in the moment than ever before...


This Ironman, the final one of 2013 is personal to me, special in fact. I finished the 70.3 here in Cozumel last year, but the last time I was on the island I dropped out of the full Ironman during the marathon as I was having my period running down my legs and could not find the courage to gut out a finish, humbled & defeated.  But I'm back now and excited. My head, heart, and legs are all stronger this time around.  You know the day you break out your tiny pink salsa dancing dress your confidence is coming around like a woman comfortable in just her mans t-shirt.

Remember I have a handful of beautiful sisters, the younger yogi-psychologist one sent me a note.  (she always writes me a personal note before races).  "...You are stronger than you realize.  Hope Mexico shows you your strengths, your patience, your challenges, and your peace of mind.  Have a beautiful journey, enjoy the moments..."  I think I've read that sentence of it 99 times already.  And I've been cruising through the streets of Mexico doing just that...

On yesterdays morning run Ashley Clifford and me ran into each other.  She is always full of life and has been coined the speedy Gonzalez of Mexico as her run has earned her a reputation in our sport.  We ran and chatted, I soaked up the moment to share an American Holiday, Thanksgiving, with someone who gets it.  During our jog my sisters letter kept lingering in my mind, "...your strength, your challenge, your patience, your peace of mind..." and I realized I was running so fast, her fast, and I needed to own my own run, after telling her to run ahead so I could settle down, she eased her pace. It all started to make sense to me, what my sister is always saying, "Do your thing, stay on your path, life will sort itself out".  Not that something so deep could be totally summed up by a little run, but it did for this blonde runner...

After that I poured my heart into soaking up the island as much as I could without wearing out my rest into the race.  A precious woman made me couple shell bracelets, they made me smile.  She made me smile.  Traveling always gives me a deeper gratitude for people, even in another language you can read their hearts without having to speak.  Soon after that I got back to the room and found a nice message from a friend back home...


My little yogi sister ran and won the Wobble Gobble back home!  My little yogi sis is one of my biggest inspirations and everything she always speaks to me is the way she lives her life, a direct reflection of totally owning your very happiness and being confident as you do so.  From there is was off to dinner with a handful of Oahu locals.  It was very nice to share a turkey dinner in Mexico, complete with Christmas music and Christmas decorations, with familiar faces.  I was so thankful for company, every drop of their laughter and conversation kept homesick for my loved ones manageable...
 Merry Christmas from Mexico!  Happy Thanksgiving, too!!  Thank you for dinner to the lovely Rick and Lori Keene, as well as the other Oahu amigos. Back home in Kona it was paddling and subway, see...




This morning was a trip to Chankanabb for a swim,  however, "grandes olas" closed any swim access.  Maybe coming from Hawaii I'm a bit of a brave soul, but I never saw any big waves out there.  Yes, current was undeniable.  You could literally see it rushing and I'm sure it would feel like a water treadmill, but waves, no.  So they cancelled the swim and everyone is now crossing fingers that it will be swimable tomorrow and of course on race day. Perhaps one of the best things that has come from racing all over the world is being able to easily adapt to the changes that each race location bring about, nothing to do but go with the flow...

 I ate a lot of Mexican eggs instead...


...and went to the pro meeting...


...and drank the water.

...and drank more water.  A little secret, "treat everyone like family", is a really pretty lesson I'm learning down in Mexico.  Cause when you do, they bring you more fresh water than you can imagine, not to mention you gain some amigos.


The sun has set, 2 more sleeps to go before the big race.  I am excited.  Thank you for the outpouring of kind messages that have come leading into the Sunday, they mean a lot to me.  Hope you all had a really special Thanksgiving...

...and that's what Kainoa is doing back home.
Love,

Bree



2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Yeah, I don't quite get it either as these conditions are very similar to last year's (if not the same) but it could be they don't have the support staff to make the swim. We are not having a holiday this week and kids (most of the volunteers are from prepa ages - like high school) have exams next week. Well, at least my kids in secundaria and prepa are across the water from Cozumel, so my guess is the same over here.

At any rate, you know you can still swim, right? Also if Chank says no, you can swim at Villablanca - they are VERY friendly to swimmers, providing lockers, showers, etc. (they are a bar, so nice to correspond with a drink or something after your swim). They are south of town by all the dive shops.

Have a GREAT race!

November 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM

 
Blogger Shawna Barlette said...

Have a great race Bree! I loved Cozumel! What a beautiful venue.

November 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home