Aloha!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Turning 34...

Time flies when you're having fun, true story!  Life has been far removed from the swim, bike, run that usually fills my days.  It has been buti yoga, walking the dog, lifting weights, surfing, building legos, and many days of teaching.  I miss running, a lot.  All the surf quenches my thirst for swimming and I must admit, it feels really good to spend more time on waves than above a black line.  Have yet to miss it really and for me, that's a good thing, the holiday break is serving me well.  All the time teaching has been helpful putting $$ in the bank and helping keep our family afloat.  Today was special, Kainoa was in the 2nd grade class I taught.  Tomorrow it's Kindergarten, not going to lie, I prefer the older kiddos... but like most the population, I must work even if it's not my favorite cup of tea...

Once the holidays have wrapped up and life becomes more triathlon involved I will be much, much better at posting & sharing some workouts, favorite shoes, and goals for 2014.  For now, it is so healthy for me to truly take this holiday break to the fullest and venture off my usual routine. I am.   

...and now, let it snow, let it snow (I am praying for snow), today, I'm 34 years old....



In 34 years I have learned that life is gorgeous, but not because of the pretty views.  It's because of the way our hearts interpret what we see.  Having traveled to 15 countries now, I've learned home is the absolute most special place on Earth, no matter how incredible the adventure.  I also know, the grass is not greener, the sky is not bluer, and few things are more miraculous than the rainbows that appear after braving the storm. People are also better than we give them credit for.  Forgiving really is the best medicine to heal pain.  And dreams still do come true...

I have learned that great moments of the past are okay to cling to for as long as you need them to be your strength, but eventually you have to stop clinging to them so tightly and open your hands to welcome in brand new moments that with time can become even better if you let them.  Motherhood might always be a work in progress for me, but it is my greatest achievement. My son has saved my life while I have given him life.  And I have found that my heart has enough love to love 2 more boys as much as my own son. Music makes life better.  The ocean is my therapy.  Family is everything to me.  And the best and most perfect surprises are the simple ones, like having your green tea made for you every day.

I have held the same dream for 21 years now and will never, ever let it go, because life has taught me to never give up. My favorite words to hear will always be, "I love you", and I am not afraid to love, it's my favorite.  Eating healthy is refreshing, not for looks of course, but truly it does feel so much better (learned that lesson after devouring an entire fruitcake after Mexico).  Some people will never like you, I have stopped worrying about them.  Pull ups are possible.  Pineapples are the best.  Dogs can make you happy.  Life is long enough to live some pretty damn good and worthwhile experiences, but too short to spend it any other way than with the ones you love, doing what you love, and mostly being where you are happy.  I love to travel.  I miss Costa Rica every now and then and day dream of a family vacation there.  Holding Mikes hand makes everything better.  Triathlon makes me feel challenged enough to know I am truly living up to good expectations I place on myself.  My bucket list is really special to me. I believe in God. I believe in myself.  My friends are beyond amazing.  My mom is the most wonderful person ever, maybe I should let her know that.


Sunday I lived one of my favorite moments, I was out surfing with Sammy and Mike when Kainoa (who was content playing on the beach), grabbed his board and paddled out.  I LOVE that we share the same passion for the ocean playground...


Sunsets will forever and always be one of the most happy places I land...


Teaching really does make me feel like I'm doing something good for someone other than myself.

 ...and, it has been one of the best birthdays of my entire life, complete with home made carrot cake, a nice walk on the beach with the dog and Masuda, girl time with Wenders, Kainoa's giant hug, and surfing with friends....

Good night!
Bree



3 Comments:

Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

Happy Birthday my friend. I am glad to read that you are learning life with each day you live, My your 2014 be Merry!

Think of everyone I teach, touch and inspire, so you keep doing it.

Thank you Bree for your blog, pics and insides you learn along the way in life. The years between 34 and 40 will will give a lot more curve balls, but you know that best advice out there is love the life love live, and live the life you lead.

P.S. over 45 just kicks your butt!

December 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Happy Birthday Bree, it looks like you had a lovely day. There's nothing better than spending it with friends and family doing the simplest things in life and appreciating nature.
I'm a much older than you and I can tell you that we never stop learning - that's what keeps us alive

December 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

I met YOU inspire! :)

December 19, 2013 at 6:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home