Aloha!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Training and Stuff...


You know those weeks that look a bit exhausting on paper?  That is how my week was looking Sunday night.  Plenty of training, some teaching, motherhood (insert: taxi, chef, nurse, dog walker, maid, ect), a holiday on the horizon, and somehow try to fit sleep in there.  Taking a step back, it would best be approached a day at a time (unusual for me, I like to know what to expect and how it will all unfold).  Here we are hump day and I can say with full confidence, this week is brilliant!  Today I swam a solo 2.4 and felt like a fish not the damn coral just sitting there on the bottom (that was last week).  THEN... I ran 20 miles and it was perfect.  This day had me a tiny baffled as it's an early release day for the kiddos, to fit an Ironman swim and a 20 miler into 4hrs would mean absolutely no room to stop and sniff any plumerias.  I started the run right out of the ocean and made it back to the school 9 minutes late.  Super mom had a belly flop, I was literally running late.  Thankfully the school holds the kids safe for 30 minutes after the bell, but man I was trying so hard to nail the week and missed it by just over a mile...


I believe....


Back to Monday...

It was a better Monday than almost an entire year of Mondays.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!  Mike graduated recruit training and school to become a fireman this past weekend, that means only 2 more Mondays that he would drive to the other side of the island and spend a week in Hilo.  Nearly a year of only seeing him on the weekends is coming to a beautiful finish line. Thank God!!  I am so excited to have his hugs, his help, his handsomeness Kona side...




Hawaii Fire Department class 42, congratulations!  I have loved getting to know each of these amazing new firemen (and one woman).  They are the going to truly make Big Island an even better, safer place to live.  Mostly to Mike, thank you for letting me be part of your journey, I love what you do and your amazing heart.  PS...anyone that ordered a t-shirt, thank you for your support and if you have yet to get yours in the mail (and ordered one) please send me an email so I can make sure yours gets to you.


 As for the mini-wee, he is still very much loving paddling.  That was one of my sports before triathlon, now I am living through him as many days I find myself missing the canoe.  It'll always be there, of that I'm sure, and that bucket list dream to paddle across the islands will happen, who knows, maybe Kainoa and I will do it together.  The best part is seeing him so happy.  It only makes sense to me that we should actually enjoy the things we spend our timing doing, right?


This also happened this week... my sunflowers grew as tall as my heart.  These babies took so long, but so worth the wait.  Once again life has shown me that most things worthwhile take a little time to bloom.   That's about it around here.  Life, love, and sport.  It truly is a pretty special life and one that I still pinch myself to experience.  Less than 5wks till Ironman Texas so that means there will be some training on the agenda through the holiday weekend.  I'm not one for battling sport time with family time, I just toss the workout out and hang with my family when it looks like a time issue, but I'm finding my family is beyond supportive of my goals going into Texas.  Looks like I will find a way to get the miles in, in the dark, while they sleep, or with them along for the ride...So thankful.


Alright, my pillow is absolutely calling.  AS if the day wasn't long enough, Kainoa made sure we soaked up every last drop of the day under a sunset, running, shell picking, and tide pooling.  Good night,

Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

The sunflower pic, your arms look amazing! Keep up the great work.

The boys liked the shirts! Thanks.

April 17, 2014 at 5:17 AM

 
Blogger Kolla said...

"...my sunflowers grew as tall as my heart."
That made my heart smile. Thank you Bree.
All the best for upcoming training and racing :)

April 18, 2014 at 5:10 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Bree, I can relate so much to the running around trying to fit everything in: job, life and training. sometimes i feel I live life by the minutes and seconds. Every single one of them is accounted for.

Training days that look tiring on paper? i had one yesterday! Phew! on paper actualy looked easier but it turned out to be far harder with gnarly hills all over the place. Today I'm walking around broken and happy all at the same time :-)
Huge congratulations to Mike on becoming a fireman. You can sleep safe at night!

Have a great week, our races are fast approaching

April 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM

 
Blogger Eva Siegel said...

Enjoyed the reading! Such posts are real motivation for beginners like me. I am also searching through internet for other interesting blogs for athletes, and one of my favourite ones is http://bit.ly/Qh9G8S. They write a lot about proper nutrition, workouts and exercising. They also share various researches in this sphere, which could be interesting and useful for all athletes

May 3, 2014 at 6:44 AM

 
Blogger Be the one said...

This day had me a tiny baffled as it's an early release day for the kiddos, to fit an Ironman swim and a 20 miler into 4hrs would mean absolutely no room to stop and sniff any plumerias. I started the run right out of the ocean and made it back to the school 9 minutes late. Super mom had a belly flop, I was literally running late.

fire marshal training


July 7, 2016 at 11:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home