Aloha!

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Deep Within...


Maybe this has a little to do with triathlon, maybe not.  Life has been teaching me so much about, well, life. Lately I'm understanding there doesn't always have to be a reason for doing every thing we do.  (I used to think without a purpose there is no purpose).  But now, and not just because I saw a man having a heart attack today, I believe that sometimes the only reason we need to have is because it makes us happy.  Life is short.  Don't read this wrong, I'm not saying I believe it's okay to go do bad things and say it was because it makes you happy, that just makes you a bad person.  Deep within, sometimes, just doing what truly makes you happy makes everything else in life that much better.  I was once a girl on a beach making a million wishes on stars, mostly dreaming of all the possibilities, since slowly learning sometimes the only reason I need to do something is because it makes me happy, I find myself making fewer wishes and more time smiling about what I just experienced...


...And I think it makes you better.  I love running, always have.  Haven't always been good at it, but more and more I find myself out there mostly because it makes me happy.  That...I believe...is making me run better.  Sometimes searching for this huge reason for doing something or trying to find some sensational purpose makes it all too complicated.  That has been a huge struggle of mine with racing triathlon professionally.  I would lay in bed and wonder how in the world it had a purpose to either better other people's lives or the world.  I'd search for that answer, with teaching it came easy, you see children learn to read and BOOM, there is all the reason and purpose you need. Deep within, I love what I do, so much, and lately I just count my blessings with all sport has given to my life, allowing myself to be happy without needing some big bright and shiny reason.


So where are we?  Tonight we have 5 weeks until Ironman Canada.  Being the 3rd Ironman of the year already (yikes) and the 4th one in roughly 8 months, I am still very mentally motivated, excited, and happy to be heading to another 140.6 mile race.  This week I was super fortunate to test out a sleeveless wetsuit, THANK YOU Zoot Sports so much! It was amazing to feel all the luxuries of a wetsuit but have my arms free.  At the moment the lake is really cold, but I am hoping it warms up enough to not need sleeves.  Being my goal race into the final KPR points ranking, I am actually spending time in a wetsuit.  Let's hope it lands a more efficient swim than previous wetsuit swims!


After literally hundreds of training sessions I am not sure why it took so long to see the value in taking an egg with me to all my workouts!  It is the absolute most awesome little power packed pick me up, protein, and affordable little ball...maybe ever.  Hard boil them all week and try for yourself...it's easy and amazing how much better you feel instantly having one.  PS...I like to add sea salt on mine.

 
I've been reading a lot too.  I have to make time for it.  My Bible, mental training books, whatever makes me happy to read, it has forced me to sit still.  To put feet up.  To calm down.  To not think (and over think).  I know, it's hard to find a minute, but just a couple minutes a day instead of FB, Instagram, or rummaging through the fridge to eat when you aren't hungry, helps.  It has been a saving grace for me with full training and Summer happening all at once.  Good luck with it...


As for paddling...

It is Summer in Hawaii after all.  I am still landing in a canoe on Saturdays and sometimes at sunset.  I call it my recovery.  It is a huge part of "making me happy" so I do it.  The girls are my sisters.  It is amazing to fly across the water and our boat is doing really good right now. We won today, getting lei'd feels nice.  And in some explainable way it is carrying over into triathlon, here is where I will absolutely not try to explain it, find a reason, or search for some big meaningful truth behind doing it...it just makes me really happy.  And, that it reason enough...


Oh... Great news.  See these two?  Kainoa and my mom, they are going to Ironman Canada with me.  I am beyond words grateful!!   Good night, got some miles to tackle tomorrow and some stretching tonight.

Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Wishing you all the best in the world at Whistler! Only wish i could be there when you cross that line as champion!

June 22, 2014 at 8:36 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Making you happy is always a good reason for doing something as long as you're not hurting anyone.

So funny that you mentioned eggs.
I make a frittata with courgette(zuchinni) 6 eggs, some bacon pieces (optional) and chopped onion in a friying pan and I let it set on low heat, then it goes under the grill to let the whole thing cook.
I slice it once it's cooled and hey presto! breakfast ready to go :-)
Yoc can also use other vegetables from your garden: chery tomatoes, mushrooms, etc, etc
For IMCDA, I suppose you're just keeping "the motor" ticking? the big miles are already in from the other IM races and I assume the base is frimly established.
My own IMUK is less than 4 weeks to go...GULP!

June 24, 2014 at 10:49 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

Ahhh I love this. Our little men can play together in Whistler:)

June 25, 2014 at 7:47 AM

 
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

As you get older and the kid grows up, you do tend to think about things differently and re-priotize what is important in the daily grind.

The biggest thing is yes, you do what you do that makes you happy, because you want to. I think I had to read this today. Life throws you curves and you just keep going.

Keep being you Bree and race with all your heart.

June 26, 2014 at 5:00 AM

 
Blogger A Manolescu said...

I think I heard this quote from Brene Brown, and it is exactly what I thought of when I read your post:
"Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” So I think it is safe to say, keep on keeping on, doing what you do :)

Alissa

June 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home