Aloha!

Monday, August 11, 2014

Back to it...


You have no idea (okay, maybe you do) how excited I am each morning I wake up and lace shoes,  put  air in my bike tires, or squeeze into a swim suit.  Don't get me wrong, training for a race usually has it's glamorous, nearly as exciting moments, but this one is just so much more fun for me than all the rest.  So happy to feel this feeling again.  In fact, I drive to swim practice in just a swim suit, I am that excited, forget waisting time to put clothes on top these days.   That (above) was the last Ironman Hawaii (2010) moment I remember. It's that magical part, the one right before you cross the finish line, where you are having to navigate your way through the final mile of spectators flooding Ali'i Drive.  Oooooh I am so excited, butterflies are already starting.  I never went to my Senior Prom, but I am imagining how I feel must be similar to that special night...
This weekend I tried very hard to lay down, take my final super rested weekend, and just chill out.  It was enjoyable, even fell out of my lawn chair having such little experience chilling out these days.  Come today, it was back at it. And tomorrow I get to run twice in a single day, it has been FOREVER since I remember doing that.  I just rolled out my legs like a woman on a mission in anticipation of the miles awaiting me…


My final week away from a pool has come to an end too.  Tomorrow it is back to black line following and chlorine.  I'm actually okay with that, I really want to gain a little more confidence in the distance.  It's easy to spend a day in the ocean but I want to be able to move through it faster. For me, the only way is with the Kona Aquatics crew and that accountability Coach Steve brings, I just don't find my speed frolicking with dolphins.  Let me tell you, I will be eagerly awaiting those recovery swims though, when the ocean calls me home…


As with all Ironmans, I have a good habit of looking back at what worked in the training, what built up my confidence, and of course what I could do better.  After double and triple checking out the last race build up into Ironman Canada, I can tell I completely fell off the yoga, stretch, strength wagon.  Okay, not entirely, but I could tell I was missing it.  Sunday I began it all again, nice being reminded how good it makes me feel to give a little extra attention to the small things that matter big.  And maybe that's what Ironman Hawaii is all about, paying more attention to the little things…


One thing I was super impressed with was my eating habits.  Oh, I fell off the wagon during my recovery, but leading into the last few Ironmans I was pretty good about having at least one thing "raw food" a day.  It was usually a treat.   That said, I better share this one for my chocolate pie.

Crust, grind up mac nuts, dates, and a spoonful of coconut oil.  The middle, blend up 5 frozen bananas, as much cacao powder as you want, and maple syrup to sweeten (you decide how sweet you want it).  That's literally it!  Keep frozen.  It's my favorite breakfast treat on the way to the ocean swims!

Have a nice week,
Bree



2 Comments:

Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

I am so excited for you. I want to be there in October! I will wish you the best from Ca.

August 12, 2014 at 4:31 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

We share your enthusiasm Bree!
Daily life becomes more focused when a goal that has been hard to achieve has been reached.
your pictures and posts are brimming with happiness :-)

August 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home