Wednesday, October 31, 2007




18 Days Post Ironman Hawaii...

Here I am 18 days after Ironman... I am still waiting for it to "sink in" that I finally did Ironman. Ironman was my dream, then I swore I would never do it after hurting so much in the 1/2 Ironman. Then I was "talked" into doing Ironman just once... so I put it on my list of things to do before I die. Well, I did it, all 9 hours and 47 minutes of it. 18 days later I want to do it again. The entire experience was life changing. I feel like I have written my post race experience about 500 times now... so I will just post an article from West Hawaii Today...

More Ironman races in Wee's future
by Brendan Shriane
West Hawaii Today
bshriane@westhawaiitoday.com

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:57 AM HST

She broke her age group record and had the fastest time of any female age group competitor ever at the Ford Ironman World Championship on Oct. 13, when she crossed the finish line in 9 hours, 47 minutes, 40 seconds. But now, Kailua-Kona's Bree Wee just wants to spend some time with her husband, Jim Wee, and her 15-month-old son, Kainoa.

"I neglected them quite a bit -- I owe them some time," Wee said while playing in the backyard with her son earlier this week.

All the training that kept Wee away from the family seemed to pay off when she competed in her first-ever full Ironman, a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-bike ride and a 26.2-mile run.

advertisement
*
Wee, 27, broke the 25-29-year-old age group record that had been set by Tyler Stewart (9:53:41) in 2006. Wee, who finished 13th among the women at the race, also broke the women's age grouper record set by 24-year-old Kate Major (9:49:33) in 2002.

"I didn't even know they had an amateur record until my coach (Paul Regensburg of Victoria, British Columbia) told me about it," Wee said.

Since the Ironman, she's been getting reacquainted with her family and recuperating from a race that she emerged from injury-free.

But now with the triathlon season complete, she's starting to get ready for the Honolulu Marathon, which takes place Dec. 9. Wee's ramping up her jogging schedule from running three days a week while she was preparing for Ironman to hitting the road five days a week now.

Wee was the 28th-fastest woman's finisher at the Honolulu Marathon in 2006 (3:23:23), just behind fellow Big Islander Rani Tanimoto (3:17:49) of Holualoa.

After Honolulu Wee said she's going to take some time off and then start training for triathlon season, which begins after the new year.

She's eyeing the International Triathlon Union's 2008 Mooloolaba (Australia) BG Triathlon World Cup race on March 30 and the St. Croix Ironman 70.3 May 4 in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, where she hopes to secure a spot at the Ironman world championship on her home island.

"I thought for sure I'd only want to do one (Ironman) just to say I did it, but I had so much fun -- it was more like a parade than a race," she said. Wee said the people lining the streets of Kona and Kohala cheering her on helped make the day a positive experience.

"People from here, people from out of town, people who spoke other languages -- everyone (was cheering) -- it was just a blast."

Wee, who grew up in Sarasota, Fla., was recruited to the Big Island by the Department of Education to be a schoolteacher and spent three years teaching at Kahakai Elementary in Kailua-Kona.

She took what was to be a one-year maternity leave from teaching to give birth to Kainoa, but because of her triathlon success she's decided to extend her break from teaching.

"I kind of want to give it a go in triathlon," she said.


4 comments:

Janet Nielsen said...

``````````````````````````````````HHey Bree,

Love your new Blog!
Excited to follow your progress!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Janet

Mcevoy said...

Hi Bree!
Congratulations on an outstanding performance in Kona! You are an inspiration breaking the age group record while balancing being a wife and mom! We have never met you but know Paul Regensburg and so have been following your progress. The blog looks great and we look forward to following all your updates.
Congratulations again!
Christine & Karen McEvoy
(Twins from Calgary, Alberta, Canada)

PS- love the Halloween pictures, too cute!

BreeWee said...

Thank you so much! I appreciate the support... Paul is awesome... I am pretty fortunate to have him help me!
Happy holidays!

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats again on your TERRIFIC IM debut! I remember finishing my first marathon and thinking never again ... then I came to my senses, or lost them, I'm not sure which :-)

Welcome to blog world!!