Saturday, November 10, 2007

Spam Musubi Butt!

I have never been one to think too much about my weight. I am one of those people that measure my happiness & joy in life by the adventures I have, the people in my life, and the things I am able to do. Not by my body image.

Training for my first Ironman (Kona 07) I KNEW one thing... nutrition matters. So, I made sure to eat all my fruits and veggies, eat lots of protein for recovery, carbs for fuel, and of course stay hydrated & energized during my training sessions. I think I did a darn good job with my nutrition as I was really fired up for my workouts, had loads of energy to train and after 5-6 hours on the bike I could go immediately to playing toys with Kainoa and "out play" him! I recovered pretty good and thankfully stayed injury free...














There I was training for an Ironman, using a ton of energy & knowing that during Ironman training people usually lose a couple pounds. Now, for some reason every time I got on the scale the number goes up. UP...UP...UP... weight gain during Ironman training... 6 POUNDS! Holy smokes I have never worked out that much in my life and BOOM!... I gain 6 pounds.

So, here I am looking through my Ironman recipes, my LONG ride fuel, my recovery snacks... and one thing pops out at me... SPAM! I think I gained 6pounds of SPAM! (Spam Butt as my husband likes to call me). I get made fun of all the time for my love of spam musubi's! I go crazy & get excited thinking about spam fried then covered with rice and wasabi fumi furikake then wrapped in a thick layer of seaweed! I just love it! Must be the life of the islands in me...every local understands...

I KNOW what spam is... stuff they can't even say on the ingredient label. Yes, I am the queen of "if you can't pronounce it don't eat it"... but I have an exception when it comes to spam musubi's. So, what is my plan for these post-Ironman 6lbs... I am going to go all off-season without a single spam musubi!

Here is a SIMPLE recipe so you can eat Spam Musubi's for me!

4 cups "sticky" white rice 1 can Spam (lite or regular... or spicy) 6 sheets nori (dried, seasoned seaweed) 1/4 cup shoyu 1/4 mirin (Japanese rice wine) - optional furikake (Japanese seasoning)

  1. Cook the rice (make is super sticky by adding a bit too much water)
  2. Fry the spam
  3. Form rice into little bricks using mirin to keep your hands moist and from sticking to the rice
  4. Sprinkle rice with furikake
  5. Place a slice of spam on rice and wrap nori around the rice/spam brick
  6. Dip in shoyu & eat!
Market_musubi2

If in Kona... shop at Matsuyama's... just like this photo... they have choke musubi's made fresh daily and they know me by name... I think I consume more than any other white girl on the island.

7 comments:

Crash said...

The ones at 7-11 at about 2 in the morning on a weekend bender taste pretty darn good too.

Flo said...

There is nothing better than a warm musubi!! Mmmmm....... Must. Stay. Away.

kerrie said...

yum...I love musubi's - we get them all the time when we're on the island. Rain wanted me to make some the other day and wondered why they didn't sell SPAM at Whole Foods, LOL.

boredum gym balls said...

http://www.moreniche.com/forum/members/soffefanclub.html

boredum gym balls said...

http://rosella.troobi.com
http://jana.troobi.com

boredum gym balls said...

http://disqus.com/aquafanfan

boredum gym balls said...

http://twitter.com/SzgdVbbrTEY