Saturday, December 29, 2007

I finally took a yoga class!


For the past year and a half I have been making fun of my sister for being a"yogi". I have been teasing her about getting her "chakra's" in balance and how is her "shraddah" from within doing? I ask her if she wants to come clean my bathroom because it could count as part of her "seva"... I think I spelled it right. I know it means to suffer in order to heal from within...! WEIRD, I know! She spent all this time in a yoga ashram doing "seva" and she had to scrub toilets! AND PAY for it! yep, I made fun of that one and told her she can clean my bathroom for FREE!

Anyways, over the past year and a half my sister has become one of the most regarded, requested, well liked "yogi's". When the Japanese health retreat group comes from Japan they request her! (she can't even speak Japanese! They have to get a translator!) I am not just saying this because she is my sister... BELIEVE me... until last night I have never even taken one of her classes! We live in a small town and word about her gets around and I sometimes have to laugh because she is my sister!

I REALLY dislike anything that requires me to sit still, breathe, focus, and be bored like that... So why did I finally take a yoga class after a year and a half of hearing all the "this and that" about Brooke...BECAUSE it was on my workout plan. My coach sent me my macro plan (you know the year broken down into phases/focuses). He put during my active recovery phase to maybe try a yoga class! If he never put it I would never take it!

How was it? Well, I tried to be serious, I even wore pants and no shoes or socks! I had a yoga mat too! I went right to the front of the class and near the mirror (that was a mistake). I laid a huge beach towel over my mat. (mistake number 2, my feet kept getting tangled!) Lights off, gentle music, yogi instructor speaking in a soft voice... I then started thinking about the episode of Hope and Faith where Faith took a yoga class and was farting... so I started to laugh out loud! Then I couldn't stop giggling to myself! Then, I got a few peeks at myself in the mirror and I laughed some more! My legs were so crooked and I was shaking trying to hold whatever pose it was! I felt straight! Well, after checking my watch 3 times in the hour and making a mental-to-do-list class was over. The Yogi instructor said Namaste and we did some hands to heart thing and I was the only one in class that said it back! I felt like a nerd!

Then, walking out of the gym I was caught! Yep, some of the Kona triathletes caught me (girl who swore against yoga) carrying a yoga mat! They teased me... then told me, "told you so" and how yoga will make me so focused, so strong, so good at breathing for next season...

All the "this and that" about her class was true! She was amazing, everyone in the room was in awe of her body moving in these various positions with ease, and everyone had to say good bye to her and compliment the class. I suppose I am fortunate to have free access to my own yogi instructor! AND a darn good one at that!

Will I take another class... yea, if it's partner yoga and I can get my husband to come! ha ha

8 comments:

Emmalee said...

Wish I could have been there with you girls. At my last yoga class these two random beefy guys came and kept falling over (literally) and making weird gasping breathing/death sounds. I couldn't help but laugh. Then I got the giggles because I was telling myself I needed to stop laughing, which always makes it worse. Anyways...if I ever make it out there I'll have to take a class with this "awesome" teacher.

Eileen said...

Oh my gosh Bree I can just picture you going right to the front of class, and then cracking up and all....you are hilarious! Gotta tell you about my yoga class experiences with Reid. We are dorks and laugh at each other before getting the evil eye from those trying to actually concentrate ;-)
E

naughty said...

Now you are doin' what some of the world's most elite athletes are doin' to become unbreakable........that clock watchin' is no joke........and hour of focused yoga can be harder than intervals! Whoopee........Wee did yoga! Naughty

Speed Racer said...

Never say never! My first yoga experience was almost exactly the same as yours, except I definitely checked my watch more than 3 times. Now I do it every morning before work (although I haven't gotten to the toilet-cleaning level of dedication). Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye out. I'd like to be the first to read the post when you eat your words and cough up for a bathroom-cleaning training camp. Namaste.

Pedergraham said...

I have never even seen Hope and Faith, but your description got me giggling. I went to a "Yoga for Athletes" class a long time ago...but rather than being full of runners, there were all these dancer girls with uber-flexibility (unlike us runners/triathletes) and my ego got a little smooshed. Now I stay in the back corner and look forward to the corpse pose--because that is the only one that I KNOW I can do right.

Kellye Mills said...

That is so funny! I did yoga the other day for the first time in a while, and I was SOOO sore the next day!! It's hard for us tri people to learn to relax isn't it!! Keep it up, I'm going to try to and hopefully it will make us better athletes and people in the end :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Who hasn't farted in yoga calss? And believe me, the minute you try to suppress the giggles, you'll laugh even harder. Trust me. Great to have an awesome sister like that!

IronGambit said...

I actually did that race with your friend "Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen" and her husband.
We met randomly :)
I was not in Kona this year, but I did do the Honolulu Marathon since I happened to be in town haha.