Thursday, December 6, 2007

I wasn't goofing off!

If there is one thing I really dislike it is miscounting during swimming! ESPECIALLY when you are being "focused" and not even goofing off! Usually, I am that girl on the left in the photo above- the one goofing off. The one Coach Steve makes repeat the workout after he just told us what to do because he thinks I am goofing off. I admit, I like to leave 5 seconds early and tickle the feet of the person in front, I like to swim under the lane ropes and into my friends lane, I like to make faces and pinch the other swimmers under water, and I LOVE to pull wedgies on my friends, and I like to make Coach Steve laugh. I am his worst nightmare and my own worst enemy when it comes to swimming.

Today I was FOCUSED though. Coach Paul gave me a nice little swim. Very short, very easy, just a swim to get my blood moving as I stay off my legs in preparation for the marathon. I was determined to do it good, do it right, and do it without goofing off. But I didn't. And I am mad...

My little mini set was only 3x 300. The first one aerobic, the second one steady, and the last one strong. My goal was to actually follow the instructions and not have them all the same speed (like I usually do) and to actually try and find my pace for each one.

1st 300: 3:30 Good, I am happy with that. I can build on that.
2nd 300: 3:18 Nice Job Bree I think to myself. I can build on that. I actually saved something for my strong one. I was so excited to do the last one. For once I am not goofing off during swimming, I am pacing, and I was almost done... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...go....

I am swimming the last one and I feel so good. I just know I am going to have a decent time. I am AWESOME at not goofing off today! I should be like this more often and I might really learn how to swim fast! Alright, 250 complete, coming into the wall for a flip turn, push off the wall, one more 50 to go, or is it another 100? Oh my gosh... I forgot! Have I done 200 or 250...? NO WAY did I miss count. Calm down Bree, you have one more 100. You feel too "fresh" to be nearly done. Do another 100...

3rd 300: 3:45 NO WAY, NO WAY DID I MISS COUNT! I cannot believe I did an extra 50! I knew it, something told me to stop that last 50! I swam a 350! What a goof ball!

I wanted to swim it over. I wanted to do it again. I wanted to have someone count with the mile counter for me. The one day I wasn't goofing off I goofed up! Sadly, I reported my times, 3:30, 3:18, 3:45. I am a goof ball. I thought for once I could have really paced correctly, followed instructions for 3 little things... nope...not today...

7 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

I often miscount laps. I wish someone would come up with a little device like the Finish Tempo Trainer that talks to you and says how many laps you've done or how much time has elasped (I have a talking clock at home).

Marni said...

I miss count too! Seeing that you came in at 3:45 with an extra 50, that goofing off helped you go extra fast! I can't get out of the water sometimes. It's just so much fun! Great article on slowtwitch!

Lana said...

OMG you are a rock star!! Great blog; you have a beautiful family. I had to do double take on those 300 swim times.

Best of luck to you Sunday! I'll check in to see how it went for you!

Speed Racer said...

I hate it when that happens! Looks like goofing off may be your way to keep track: first 50, gave Tammy a wedgie, second 50, tickled Chris's feet, third 50 behaved myself, fourth 50 splashed coach Steve as hard as I could with my flip turn, fifth 50 went down to pick up a quarter off the bottom of the pool, sixth 50 remembered to stop!

Goof away, my friend!

Sarah McMillan said...

Hi Bree,
Holy Moly, 300 in 3:18! Thats smokin fast, goofing off or not. Very nice interview article on Slowtwitch. And best wishes to you this weekend in the marathon! Enjoy, Sarah

Bob Mitera said...

Count up and then down - so a 300 is just two 150s...50, 100, 150, 100, 50. Solid set.

You forgot because you were in the zone. Kick it at the HNL marathon.

B

Anonymous said...

Wee.............I suffer the same syndrome.........I swear I am going to count right; this time will be spot on.........and invariably..........the screw up..........but if I know where my time is to be I will peak at my watch on my wrist which is what I use for send offs when soloing my swims..........

I am proud to say I did my own swim this morning and the first 4K since pregos.........1000 straight (I think I counted right)..........5 X 200......10 X 100...........20 X 50...........I had the entire pool to myself..........and the fitness is coming back......patiently.