Thursday, December 27, 2007

Snowy Hawaii



Talk about cold! We got snow on top of Mauna Kea! Mauna Kea is 13,700 ft above sea and when we get snow up there it YOU KNOW IT! It is beautiful and amazing...but man it's cold!

We took a 3hr bike ride this morning on good old Queen K and once we got near Waikoloa the winds came like usual...but this morning they froze me! We are 1/2 mile from the ocean on our left and about 4 miles from Mauna Kea on our right! It was awesome looking up to see a snow covered volcano while riding near the ocean with surfers and beach goers in bikinis! BUT I was freezing! When that wind turned on & blew the cool air I felt like I was in Michigan (I used to live there- I know it is cold!) I wanted out of my little tank top and bike shorties and into long sleeves and long pants!

Are you wondering how wimpy I am??? It was 72*-76* !!!!

art
COURTESY OF KITV NEWS4

A snowboarder enjoyed riding down snow at the summit of Mauna Kea on the Big Island last weekend. One of the mountain's observatory telescopes is seen in the distance in this image from video taken by KITV.

6 comments:

Train-This said...

Girl..... you need to get up north and harden up! HA HA HA!

Mel said...

SNOW in Hawaii..that is crazy...I did not even think they would sell cold gear there :) but as I see the snow boarder in the photo...they must! I live in Sylvania/Toledo Ohio so really close to Michigan..so you can have my snow and coldness anyday!!!!
Glad you enjoyed my blog photo's :)

Emmalee said...

I feel your pain. Sometimes even though the temp is warm the air or breeze is cold. It all depends on wind and sun coverage. Then again I'm the girl on the beach in a sweat shirt and blanket when the girl next to me is in her bikini.

Emmalee said...

I would pay money to see Brooke in thong. haha

Speed Racer said...

I want to feel sorry for you, I really do...

Pedergraham said...

Cool--you could snowboard and surf all in one day. The cold air coming off the snowy mountain making you cold on a ride reminds me of spring here in VT--except here we get chilled with the cold air blowing up off the still-icy-and-cold lake and rivers.