Thursday, January 3, 2008

Bringing back the bricks...

Oh boy, those brick workouts are already back on my training plans! All last season my tri's suffered when it came to the run. Come reflection time my coach and I sat down and went through my season and realized the need for me to focus on more bricks... and today they are back! And I felt it...

My first tri will be in March, BUT it is not that race that I am focused on, not the lavaman after it and not St. Anthony's following that... those are just for fun... it is St. Croix we are focused on. And the need for me to run better off the bike, the bike that will ride the "Beast". So today was day 1 of St. Croix brick busting!

My ride had me do some intervals in the big ring (a bit hard to push big ring when climbing) and they hurt! It felt like I was lifting weights and I could tell my bike and I were strangers (I hung my bike up after Ironman to train for the marathon). But I gave it my all, every bit of my leg strength, with less than 60 seconds to throw on my shoes I was off and running. OH MY GOSH! This was nothing like the bricks for Ironman where you can take your sweet time and eat a picnic! This was HURRY YOUR @$$ up and get running. The run was an easy run, a short run, but so painful after that bike ride with that intensity and that gear and those couple of hills.

It was very evident that I needed brick work and it was even more evident that this is the time to start it!

Why do bricks:
* It's a different level of stress on the body that must be practiced
*figure out your personal strategy for getting your bike-tired legs to run
*Learn to run fast off a bike, as if you have "fresh" legs
*Practice nutrition & pacing
*Eventually your physiology will adapt to the ride-run sequence the way it does to an individual swim, bike, or run
*Make you mentally tuff!

5 comments:

Brooke Myers said...

You introduced "Bricks" to me and thank goodness you did or I would have really been lost in racing. I am looking forward to the challenge of them again this season...
I remember when I first started I was thinking you were crazy for making me do them even though it only made sense to. I was tired just thinking about connecting one sport to another.. Ha ha

Pedergraham said...

You are so good. Sixty seconds in "T2" and out the door. I dwadle in the garage, go inside and get a snack and a liesurely pee... I am motivated now to do a better job with brick transitions. (From now on it will be just a very quick pee and then right out the door!) BTW, thanks for the "virtual push" out the door yesterday. I did do my run outside (-3 degrees F) and saw the most beautiful sunset.

Bob Mitera said...

Jen can tell you I have detailed StX info if you want it. Fun (and tough) bike course - The Beast is ONE of many hills...then you get to run. Fun race!

greyhound said...

Bricks help me remember, "keep going, because this really sucky feeling eventually goes away."

I forget that every time.

Speed Racer said...

Eeeew, don't remind me! Come race time I'm always so glad I did them, but GOD they suck. Please tell me that when you first start running you feel so off-kilter that you're just going to topple over too. Or is that just me? Thanks for the reminder that they're good for me. Usually I get hung up focusing on the "I'm gonna die" part of them.