Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Day 2 of 101...

Today in 101 I learned all about extending my elbow through the entire pull phase (to my hip), keeping my wrists & hands light, and rolling with my hips so I could get my fingers out of the water and a higher elbow on the recovery. It was really fun to roll around!! I felt so clumsy... then I got to thinking... I wonder if swimming (all the technique) is at all like dancing.

I have about zero dance moves, 2 left feet on the dance floor. I love to dance, don't get me wrong. Anything from Salsa to booty shaking... but I don't look the least bit graceful. Swimming I KNOW for a fact I lack the grace too!

SO, here is my question... do "good technique" swimmers have grace and rhythm on the dance floor? Basically, can Michael Phelps and Amanda Beard dance? I'm not just talking fast swimmers, you could be slow, I am talking about technique...

I am really curious... I wish I could put a Vote thing on this post but I am not computer savvy enough yet to figure it out. SO... pretend you are in school again and answer this please... I just gotta know...

Is grace in the pool and on the dance floor linked? Is there any correlation??

  • A) I am a good dancer and have good swim technique
  • B) I am pretty clumsy on the dance floor and when I swim I am all over the place (but this doesn't mean you are a slow swimmer). This is technique only...
  • C) I am graceful on the dance floor but technically challenged when it comes to swimming
  • D) I have all the technique I need in the pool (doesn't necessarily mean you are fast) but I have two left feet when dancing.
I just got off the phone with my friend Lauren... I told her how at 101 this morning I was watching the swimmers and had to laugh at some of their strokes and imagined them dancing- then I laughed even harder! Then I would think of my sister Brooke, that girl is gifted on the dance floor- she even went to a VPA High School for dance! AND, she looks so graceful in the pool... yes I am jealous of her stroke (but I can beat her-ha ha). Smart as she is Lauren told me that it probably relates to coordination.

Anyways... I am so darn curious... please comment me your answer A, B, C, or D and any explanation would be helpful.

Many Mahalos!

15 comments:

Beth said...

Well I am definitely a B!!! NOT graceful in the water and even worse on the dance floor. No rhythm whatsoever!!! Doesn't stop me from trying of course...it just isn't pretty. :) I can't wait to see how everyone else answers!!

Eileen said...

I'm a B too, gymnastics dance I have been taught and practiced my whole life, but real dance...let loose on the dance floor kind is not so pretty, like my swimming ;-) You will see both soon enough ;-)

Cheers,
E

Mel said...

B for me also....If I have a couple of drinks in me, (I want to think I can shake the booty) but really think I am more of a staggering mess on the dance floor :)
Swimming not graceful, (I do not think even drinks could help me there!) I am a panic freak, trying to get to the other end of the pool, before I drown :) So a Floppin mess in the water :)
We will have to hit the dance floor in St Croix so we can get a good LAUGH :)

Kellye Mills said...

This is a hard one for me. :) I grew up dancing, and USED to be good at it. However, haven't tried it in quite sometime beyond the a few too many jigs I've done!

Swimming tech... have very little to speak of.

So either I USED to be graceful and lost it all, OR I could be a C???

Anonymous said...

HA! I am none of the above....I can NOT dance and I am definitely not the best swimmer out there. I would say D. Jerome, my husband, is definitely a D. He is awesome to watch in the water - effortless - and like a 54-55 IM swim guy but is like a gorilla on the dance floor!!!!!!!!! Haha. Jen H.

Train-This said...

A For Mary. I danced for 16 years, ballet and tap, and it crossed over with my swimming career.

But I have never gotten out of the pool and thrown on my tap shoes for a time step ;-)

Maybe I will give it a try!

:-) Mary

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

C for me! As a former dancer I am mix it up with the best but swiiming is something I can not master. Every day it mees like something else "wrong" pops-up...I can't win! Hence why I get to go see my coach for a Swim lesson tomorrow!! Even saying that makes me feel like a kid again!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I'm definitely a "B". I agree with Mel - after a few drinks, I'll try my hardest on the dance floor. Every year (if Nathaniel isn't deployed), we'll go to the Marine Corps Birthday Ball (early November). We get all dressed up, look pretty snazzy, but are too petrified to dance. He can't move his hips, and I don't want to make a fool out of myself. We've been meaning to take ballroom dancing lessons - but it hasn't happened yet. The swim is pretty much the same... I wonder if I had a drink or two, if I woudl suddenly feel more courageous? Alas - no, I'd probably throw up. Yuck! So, long winded answer - I'm a B. But I'm bound and determined to take those lessons soon... :)

Kerri Robbins said...

Definetly a B. I still churn the butter on the dance floor, can't move my hips at the same time, have never learned how to do the electric slide. I can chicken dance though. The swim... After today's swim lesson...it's pretty verbatim.

Billy said...

D. After 45 years of swimming it comes pretty natural to me. Though if I haven't been swimming much my form goes to hell pretty quickly. I used to think I could dance okay but after seeing myself on a wedding video I quit - absolutely quit. In a pinch and if my wife insists, I can two-step and waltz a little but keep it really simple and it's only for marital harmony.

Found your blog from a link from a link from a link and really enjoy your writing.
bc

dawnschmawn said...

D) I've been swimming almost my whole life, and I CANNOT (and will not) dance! I have yet to see a swimmer that can dance. We all look like fish out of water.

Jen in Budapest said...

I'm a B....I just found you while surfing for other tri girls. Thanks for your posts. I'll probably be checking in once in awhile. I've been to Costa Rica and LOVED it. I've also been to the big island and I bet those long bike rides are amazing. I'm quite envious as I'm living in Budapest, and my best rides are along the brown Danube river....But I'm not complaining....atleast I have my health, right? Thanks for posting.

Pedergraham said...

I'm a D. (I was just thinking to myself that if someone hadn't read the original post, but only the comments, they'd think we justa bunch of girls talking about our cup sizes!)

Grew up at the Y, mom was an aquatic director, I was "forced" into teaching swimming lessons for all of my teen years...so I can swim pretty, but am tone deaf and can't shake it.

Now, if my mom had managed a hip hop club instead of a pool, do you think I could shake it and would I be drowning in the water?

Emmalee said...

b.
I can't swim or dance...I take it back I can tap dance, although thats rhythm not grace, I can also paddle on a board which is rhythm.
So maybe they are related. Even if grace on the dance floor and in the pool aren't, rhythm in the strokes and the feet must be.

Andrea Ford said...

Bree, love your blog...
I'm an A, but that depends on my partner because if he's got two left feet that tends to trip me up. I can definitely hold my own. I'm not the fastest swimmer in our club, but I'm far from the slowest and many people have told me how graceful I am in the water :) Lucky me to have such great friends. Interesting point though and something I'm bound to ask the other Masters.
Keep on writing, love your style.